By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NVIDIA launches Jetson TX2 devkit with twice performance

Nintendo can upgrade to the new model any time. Switch mini or Switch pro could be examples.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Nintendo gets a Tegra X1 custom chip from Nvidia.
One week after its launch, Nvidia announces a newer chip thats twice as powerfull for the same tpd...

*facepalm*

PS4 gets HD 7800 class gpu at November 2013.

AMD already released more powerful R9 290X October 2013.

Of course,  prices are different.

HD 7870 $250

R9 290 x  $550

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
JRPGfan said:

One week after its launch, Nvidia announces a newer chip thats twice as powerfull for the same tpd...

*facepalm*

PS4 gets HD 7800 class gpu at November 2013.

AMD already released more powerful R9 290X October 2013.

Of course,  prices are different.

HD 7870 $250

R9 290 x  $550

Best post

OT: I wonder if anyone will care enough to use it other than Nintendo in the future.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JRPGfan said:

*facepalm*

Same thing will happen to next gen, they will feature some "high" tech in their systems and within a few months it will be wholly outdated. Technology advancements stop for absolutely no one. 

The only one that can keep up are those who build their own rigs, willing to spend as much as they want on the latest hardware.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It would be the perfect chip for the GPD XD II Android emulation handheld which will hopefully release soon.

Around the Network

Welp, maybe this will be a candidate for switch 2. But by then, there'll probably be another chip out with twice the performance of this one...

SpokenTruth said:
JRPGfan said:

*facepalm*

It's $600 just for the board.  You want a dock, Joy-Cons, a screen, etc...$700 plus.

*facepalm*

That's just the standard price I think, the Jetson X1 (Tegra X1) was $500 or something too (which is actually cheap for a development kit) obviously we know the Switch isn't $600. Nvidia doesn't sell many of these and they're for developers so the mark up is high. 

EDIT: Jetson X1 was $599.99 as well. It's just the standard price. For students, Nvidia drops the price to $299.99 for the kit. So obviously there is a fat mark up. 

woooow, too expensive.
seems that a custom made switch using this would be at 400$ at least.

jonathanalis said:
woooow, too expensive.
seems that a custom made switch using this would be at 400$ at least.

See above, it's not expensive. It's the same price the Tegra X1 Jetson was.

$599.99, but Nvidia cuts it to $299.99 if you're using it for educational purposes. So obviously the chip doesn't cost much. 

These are dev kit prices, for a dev kit even $600 is dirt cheap. So no the Jetson board being $600 doesn't mean the Switch would've been like $700 if it used this chip. 

"Running the Jetson TX2 at 7.5 watts and offering performance that’s on par with its 10W predecessor
Running at 15W for 2X the performance"

I think it means if it was on switch, portable mode would spend less batery, or increase performance by 33% than switch is now, by adjusting the clock(suposing on 16nm, heating wouldnt be an issue worst than it is at 33% more clock).
And docked would double it, 266% than it is on portable.

Also, switch chips are from august 2016, if it was adopted, would take until holidays for launching, and probably other chip would be avaliable.
I like the double memory bandwidht and HBM memory.