By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game do you think will be GOTY 2008?

Super Smash Brothers Brawl is my top pick. I'd go with Grand Theft Auto 4 as my second choice.

Around the Network

Metal Gear Solid 4 though Gears of War 2 and Ninja Gaiden 2 will probably come close

Ail said:
shio said:

Well the games that have some chances to be 2008 GOTY are:

PC:
Dragon Age
Empire: Total War
SPORE
Starcraft II
Warhammer Online

PS3:
Little Big Planet
Metal Gear Solid 4

Xbox 360:
Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Wii:
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Multiplatform:
Alan Wake
Fallout 3
GTA IV
Mafia 2
RAGE

Order By Probability of being GOTY:
SPORE
Starcraft II
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
GTA IV
Metal Gear Solid 4
Alan Wake
RAGE
Dragon Age
Mafia 2
10º Little Big Planet

I think there's a few on that list you can already scratch out, I think you have the nominees in there but a few titles which really don't belong ( like Warhammer).

If I had to name 4 right now I would pick in no particular order :

- Starcraft 2

- MGS4

- GTA IV

- WoW WoLK if it comes out this year.

The list I made was a bit stretched, but any of them has decent chances of being called 2008 GOTY.

Warhammer Online may look farfetched, but it looks to be the first MMORPG at WoW's caliber, and you know how many awards WoW won.

But if I had to scratch out some games, It would be Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2 and yes, Warhammer Online too.

Maybe Metal Gear Solid 4, Gears Of War 2, or Grand Theft Auto 4.

BRAWL, BRAWL, BRAWL!!!

and to anyone who says it doen't bring anything new? have you PLAYED it? I mean REALLY Played it. New Story, New Modes (Boss Battle, ect.), New ONLINE, Stickers, Assist trophies, and MORE!!!

Around the Network

If StarCraft 2 comes out, that would be my overall pick for goty

Others include GTAIV, MGS4, GoW2. Woulda added SSBB but it really doesnt have a complex storyline but it would definitely win Best Fighting Game.

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

There is no one goty, there are probably around 150 GOTY awards between magazines and websites. Also im surprised nobody has even mentioned Fallout 3.

The main nominees will probably be

Spore
MGS 4
GTA 4
GeOW 2
SSBB
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Star Craft 2
NG 2
Little big Planet

It will not be SSBB or GTAIV. Neither are going to be innovative or have the lasting appeal that will win it.

Spore
MGS4
Star Craft 2
Maybe Little Big Planet

That will be the four contenders as each will either bring something new to a franchise, or is innovative yet will have amazing gameplay.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

MGS4 has be my bet.

If the game is all that is being made out to be then that is what my money is on.

PLAYSTATON NETWORK: BLOODLINEZ

Bursche said:
It will not be SSBB or GTAIV. Neither are going to be innovative or have the lasting appeal that will win it.

Spore
MGS4
StarCraft 2
Maybe Little Big Planet

That will be the four contenders as each will either bring something new to a franchise, or is innovative yet will have amazing gameplay.

....are you being ironic on purpose? You just claimed that SSBB and GTA4 don't have enough lasting appeal, while MGS4 does..... The MGS games generally have very low lasting appeal. Single player, not huge in length, little replayability.

You just compared it to Brawl - sequel to a gamecube game many people played for it's entire life, the standard friends are over lets play game, online mode. Smash bros games usually have insane amounts of lasting appeal.
GTA4 - Likely to feature a very long single player, massive open world to play around in, multiplayer, co-op. Likewise Gta games have insane amounts of lasting appeal.

And seriously what innovations is MGS4 bringing exactly? In fact what is starcraft 2 bringing?

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.