By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Nintendo Switch and VGChartz

Ka-pi96 said:
monocle_layton said:

The Nintendo Switch is the first console/handheld hybrid, and also the start of the ninth generation. 

Subjective...

Anyways I think Machina once said that the Switch wouldn't be included on the bar chart until it was more clear whether it would be competing against a proper next gen Scorpio/potential PS5 in the near future or if it would be against a current gen Scorpio/PS4. But don't quote me on that

No...it's 9th gen. Power aside. Power alone has never really been the deciding factor of a new "gen". It's new hardware, much different than Wii U. 

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
Seems more like a console than a handheld to be honest.

After getting my Nintendo Switch I really don't feel this is the case. The form factor is nothing like a home console, it's not some big box. In person and at least how I feel, it's closer to say the gameboy advance or ps vita than say a home console like the PS4. Just because you can set in a dock with hdmi out doesn't change that.

I think they should do Wii U vs PS4 vs XB1 vs Switch.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Ka-pi96 said:
Ljink96 said:

No...it's 9th gen. Power aside. Power alone has never really been the deciding factor of a new "gen". It's new hardware, much different than Wii U. 

No... it's subjective. Every single definition of what gen it should/shouldn't be has flaws in. You can ignore those flaws all you want, but they still exist, hence why what gen it is is subjective rather than fact.

A lot of decisive subjects have flaws in them, but there eventually has to be a consensus. I know...it's wikipedia but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles

PS4 Pro and Xbox One S aren't 9th gen, they're 8th. Very similar hardware, with minimal updgrades and the same prefix. If the Switch was Wii U: Switch, then no it wouldn't be 9th gen. What matters is that new schematics were built for the Switch, new hardware was manufactured, and it's not an addon.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ljink96 said:

A lot of decisive subjects have flaws in them, but there eventually has to be a consensus. I know...it's wikipedia but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles

PS4 Pro and Xbox One S aren't 9th gen, they're 8th. Very similar hardware, with minimal updgrades and the same prefix. If the Switch was Wii U: Switch, then no it wouldn't be 9th gen. What matters is that new schematics were built for the Switch, new hardware was manufactured, and it's not an addon.

Yeah, and the current consensus is that nobody agrees on it

Sorry to break it to you but your opinion isn't a fact, and you don't get to decide what the consensus is. There probably will be a proper consensus on what gen it is one day, but like I said I'm in the wait and see camp...

Oh and your logic right there has a major flaw in too. You say if it had Wii U as a prefix it would be same gen as the original Wii U. Well doesn't the Wii U have Wii as a prefix?

Bolded: And neither is...yours I'm not deciding anything, just stating what is the most adopted consensus. I'm just bringing up what the industry has stuck to for years. 

I was referring to the fact that Playstation 4 has PS4 Pro, and Xbox One has Xbox One S. Also, Wii and Wii U again, are different hardware entirely. If it isn't 9th gen...what do you think it is?

Yeah, the lines are becoming blurred, but when we start putting everything in its own corner, it gets even more confusing.

Around the Network

We aren't going to have other handhelds, so to wtv consoles are in the current market.

Machina said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Subjective...

Anyways I think Machina once said that the Switch wouldn't be included on the bar chart until it was more clear whether it would be competing against a proper next gen Scorpio/potential PS5 in the near future or if it would be against a current gen Scorpio/PS4. But don't quote me on that

The post you're referencing.

That's just it though... based on it's design, the Switch isn't competing against any other console right now, home or hand-held.  

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Ka-pi96 said:
slab_of_bacon said:

That's just it though... based on it's design, the Switch isn't competing against any other console right now, home or hand-held.  

You sure? If it's targeting both home and handheld console markets then isn't it competing against all of them, rather than none of them?

So every sale should count for two then :P

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Ka-pi96 said:
Ljink96 said:

Bolded: And neither is...yours I'm not deciding anything, just stating what is the most adopted consensus. I'm just bringing up what the industry has stuck to for years. 

I was referring to the fact that Playstation 4 has PS4 Pro, and Xbox One has Xbox One S. Also, Wii and Wii U again, are different hardware entirely. If it isn't 9th gen...what do you think it is?

Yeah, the lines are becoming blurred, but when we start putting everything in its own corner, it gets even more confusing.

Not saying it is, I'm just saying wait until there's sufficient evidence to judge it properly. Not saying I think it's 8th or 9th gen yet because I'm not sure. I understand the logic of Wii U = 8th gen and therefore Switch = 9th, and on it's own I could agree with that. But these are collective generations so I think there really needs to be something else alongside it. Perhaps Scorpio will be a proper next gen console or perhaps PS5 isn't that far off. In which case Switch being an early 9th gen console makes a lot of sense. But what if the next gen PS/Xbox are 5 or 6 years away? What if Switches succesor also releases around the same time? I think it will be pretty clear what gen it is in retrospect, but right now it's far from clear.

Fair enough. I'm not a huge fan of gens to begin with, and I do think generations as we know it are coming to an end. Microsoft started it, they really have been throwing monkey wrenches in the dispute between Sony and Nintendo. It's going to be interesting to see the outcome of all this, years from now.

8th gen, 9th gen, it doesn't really matter. Switch will compete with PS4 and XBONE for the foreseeable future. Who knows, by the time the PS5/XBTWOs come out we might see next Nintendo console shortly after.

I say remove the Wii U and add the Switch.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.