By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I’m having divisive feelings on BotW, can someone enlighten me?

Playing it now, it is the first time I have felt like I was playing a proper Zelda game since Ocarina of Time. Everything about it is perfect for a Zelda game in 2017. The game is gigantic, by the way. FAR bigger than I thought it was going to be, with far more stuff in it.

The Shrines are very Zelda-like, and unlike the last bunch of games, you won't get tired/bored of them. The gameplay is much more solid, and the most creative it has ever been.

Zelda has never been this finely paced, ever. It is also perhaps the most difficult Zelda game since the first one. I have already died more times than I did in every core franchise game on my last replay through (except Zelda 1, which I died a whole bunch of times on). Luckily, it is far less painful in this game when you die, than it is in previous games.

Ocarina's reign as the undisputed top Zelda game is definitely over. This one certainly exceeds it from what I have played so far.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

- Does it still feel like Zelda and I’m just worrying too much? Because every time I see footage of this game I feel like it’s a more “western open-world” type of game with a Zelda coat of paint.

Hmm, yes and no in a sense. You still have Link needing to venture out to find dungeons, solve puzzles, and defeat Ganon, but it adds in a lot of new features for a Zelda game, such as climbing, gathering weapons and items, and cooking. It feels more so like the very 1st Zelda, where you start on the screen and you're on your own to discover everything. So if you didn't like the NES Zelda, you may not like this one.

- Is the green tunic still in the game? If so, is it easy to find or do you have to follow the story in order to get it? If it’s side-quest related I want to get it ASAP.

Unsure, a few hours in and I still have basic clothing, but it looks like you can collect various other clothing.

- Are the dungeons good and/or unique? I heard there’s not a lot of them, which is really disappointing seeing as it’s my favorite part of the series (And no, I’m not counting the shrines as dungeons).

Apparently there are 4 main dungeons in the game, but there are tons of shrines, which act as sort of mini dungeons. I've only done the 4 tutorial ones, so I dunno how other ones will be like.

- Did they really remove heart pieces and the music/animation for opening a chest?

Yeah, they're gone in a sense, now being collected by getting spirit orbs, which are found in shrines. You can also boost your stamina instead.

Opening chests so far is like opening small ones in Zelda games. The special theme for getting bigger items is still there, but used for different special 'equipment'

- Does every weapon break (Including the Master Sword) and can you repair them?

They break, but have different durability. This is an issue with the game, as you have to equip new items often. Whether you can repair them, unsure atm.

EDIT: Bonus question - Is the "puzzle solved" tune still in the game?

What is this tune again..?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

EricFabian said:
vivster said:
I don't mind the weapon breaking, after all the game showers you with new weapons. I don't understand though why they made the material inventory infinite but the weapon inventory tinyas fuck. Especially since the weapons break so often. it would be better to have ample supply without constantly micro managing.

Pretty much this. Even with the seeds, doesn't make sense at all, since you can only add only one space per upgrade

I thought the same at first but it makes they did it this way.

If you had an unlimited amount of inventory for weapons, then you will quickly stack dozens of weapons (some of them useless) and there will be almost no incentive to pick of weapons later on because "I already have enough". The micro management will be a lot more annoying.

Plus, it will be frustrating to switch weapons quickly with so many at your disposal.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Since everyone else answered the other questions I will answer about whether it feels like a Zelda game or not.

It feels more like TLoZ than any game in the series since the first. Having said that, the game is not a "typical western open-world game". The open-world design is different from the western style. The themes in the game, the lore, and the world all have strong TLoZ vibes.

The only way this game can be construed as a " not a true Zelda" title is if you've only played/enjoyed 3D Zelda games. It is much more like the 2D games, except 3D.

Cloudman said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d3qCPcMgH4

Around the Network
Cloudman said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t8p6qSDfv0

It is in the game (when solving puzzles in Shrines), just not high pitch.

Nintendo and PC gamer

sc94597 said:
Since everyone else answered the other questions I will answer about whether it feels like a Zelda game or not.

It feels more like TLoZ than any game in the series since the first. Having said that, the game is not a "typical western open-world game". The open-world design is different from the western style. The themes in the game, the lore, and the world all have strong TLoZ vibes.

The only way this game can be construed as a " not a true Zelda" title is if you've only played/enjoyed 3D Zelda games. It is much more like the 2D games, except 3D.

That's probably it, I vastly prefer the 3D ones to the 2D ones. The only 2D Zelda I've ever played was A Link Between Worlds, which was pretty good but also pretty easy.

Vini256 said:
sc94597 said:

That's probably it, I vastly prefer the 3D ones to the 2D ones. The only 2D Zelda I've ever played was A Link Between Worlds, which was pretty good but also pretty easy.

Yeah, think about how ALBW focused on a nonlinear dungeon order (you chose which dungeons to do first) and puzzles, but more extremely pursuant to that, much more difficult, and in a 3D open-world. That is what this game is like. 

One thing to consider is that there is very little combat in this game's dungeons. All of the nitty-gritty combat is in the overworld. The dungeons are mostly puzzle focused, but they are a lot of fun and intricate, and they have story significance which I won't spoil. 

Vini256 said:

*Please read everything before posting*

Looking at Breath of the Wild I can’t help but feel worried that I’m not going to enjoy it, which is pretty sad as I’ve been waiting for a new Zelda game ever since Skyward Sword came out 6 years ago. I don’t know… it does look like a great game, and I’ll surely play it once I get a Switch, but it doesn’t "feel" like a proper Zelda game imo, since it looks like they removed so much of the stuff that made it unique to me. That’s why I’m making this thread, since I seem to be alone in this and haven’t once seem someone complain about the formula changes.

I have some questions for you guys that are playing/have already played it, hopefully the answers will help me get more excited for this game (No spoilers, please!):

- Does it still feel like Zelda and I’m just worrying too much? Because every time I see footage of this game I feel like it’s a more “western open-world” type of game with a Zelda coat of paint.

- Is the green tunic still in the game? If so, is it easy to find or do you have to follow the story in order to get it? If it’s side-quest related I want to get it ASAP.

- Are the dungeons good and/or unique? I heard there’s not a lot of them, which is really disappointing seeing as it’s my favorite part of the series (And no, I’m not counting the shrines as dungeons).

- Did they really remove heart pieces and the music/animation for opening a chest?

- Does every weapon break (Including the Master Sword) and can you repair them?

IN the world building it's Zelda. It still has some Wind Waker Vibes. Zelda DNA is there.

No Heart pieces but there is Heart Containers by doing so many shrines and dungeons you get a heart contrainer. In a way it's not any different than before because you still need to do 4 shrines to choose if you want a heart or more stamina.

You cannot repair them. You are given so many most stuff is easily replaceable. You can avoid most fights if you want.

No chest animation anymore. it's closer to the 2D games in that regard. Open it,get it and go.

Yes the classic puzzle chime is there.

I got the green tunic 1 hour in by using my Ambio of Link

but its Link's Twilight Princess Tunic.

Still awesome tho.