By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I’m having divisive feelings on BotW, can someone enlighten me?

*Please read everything before posting*

Looking at Breath of the Wild I can’t help but feel worried that I’m not going to enjoy it, which is pretty sad as I’ve been waiting for a new Zelda game ever since Skyward Sword came out 6 years ago. I don’t know… it does look like a great game, and I’ll surely play it once I get a Switch, but it doesn’t "feel" like a proper Zelda game imo, since it looks like they removed so much of the stuff that made it unique to me. That’s why I’m making this thread, since I seem to be alone in this and haven’t once seem someone complain about the formula changes.

I have some questions for you guys that are playing/have already played it, hopefully the answers will help me get more excited for this game (No spoilers, please!):

- Does it still feel like Zelda and I’m just worrying too much? Because every time I see footage of this game I feel like it’s a more “western open-world” type of game with a Zelda coat of paint.

- Is the green tunic still in the game? If so, is it easy to find or do you have to follow the story in order to get it? If it’s side-quest related I want to get it ASAP.

- Are the dungeons good and/or unique? I heard there’s not a lot of them, which is really disappointing seeing as it’s my favorite part of the series (And no, I’m not counting the shrines as dungeons).

- Did they really remove heart pieces and the music/animation for opening a chest?

- Does every weapon break (Including the Master Sword) and can you repair them?

EDIT: Bonus question - Is the "puzzle solved" tune still in the game?

Around the Network

Mike Matei said the master sword does not break. Cinemassacre is making a non-stop stream of the game and it looks ok.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Vini256 said:

*Please read everything before posting*

Looking at Breath of the Wild I can’t help but feel worried that I’m not going to enjoy it, which is pretty sad as I’ve been waiting for a new Zelda game ever since Skyward Sword came out 6 years ago. I don’t know… it does look like a great game, and I’ll surely play it once I get a Switch, but it doesn’t "feel" like a proper Zelda game imo, since it looks like they removed so much of the stuff that made it unique to me. That’s why I’m making this thread, since I seem to be alone in this and haven’t once seem someone complain about the formula changes.

I have some questions for you guys that are playing/have already played it, hopefully the answers will help me get more excited for this game (No spoilers, please!):

- Does it still feel like Zelda and I’m just worrying too much? Because every time I see footage of this game I feel like it’s a more “western open-world” type of game with a Zelda coat of paint.

- Is the green tunic still in the game? If so, is it easy to find or do you have to follow the story in order to get it? If it’s side-quest related I want to get it ASAP.

- Are the dungeons good and/or unique? I heard there’s not a lot of them, which is really disappointing seeing as it’s my favorite part of the series (And no, I’m not counting the shrines as dungeons).

- Did they really remove heart pieces and the music/animation for opening a chest?

I pretty much had the same feelings.

1.  Does it feel like Zelda?  I dunno.  It's definitely worlds different from Skyward Sword, but it does have a lot of the same elements from past games.  It's not a perfect comparison, but it's a Zelda game in the sense that Mario 64 is a Mario game.  

2.  I haven't come across it yet, but you can dye clothing if you have the right items.

3.  Haven't played one yet. 

4.  Yup.  Heart pieces are replaced by a similar item you get by beating shrines. Four of them become an extra heart or a stamina boost.

5.  Yes and no.

I love the old style of Zelda, and I'd be really disappointed if Skyward Sword is the last of it.  That being said, Breath of the Wild is amazing so far.  Hopefully it will eventually be a 2D/3D Mario kind of thing where both are released about once per generation.

-It still feels fairly Zelda-like. Less so than the previous games though.

-No idea about the tunic so far. But you can make clothing that looks like it if you want.

-Haven't done the dungeons yet but the shrines are great and given that there's 100 of them, will definitely make up for the fact that there's only 4 dungeons.

-No heart pieces. Still music for opening a chest though. Not the tune for finding a new piece of equipment though.

-Every weapon I've had so far has broken. But there are so many weapons all over the place, including every single one an enemy is using that you can take if you kill them (including crazy stuff like lightsaber type things from the hi-tech robot dudes), that it doesn't bother me.

I admit I'm a bit worried too: when it comes to Legend of Zelda, I need three things (you can call it my Triforce of Zelda games :P): varied dungeons, cool gadgets, and likable characters and all of them tied together nicely.

If a Zelda game can fulfill these requirements, everything else is just icing on the cake for me. Hoping BotW can deliver on these aspects.

Around the Network

I haven't found anything worthy of a 98 on Metacritic, but it's definitely a solid game.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

JWeinCom said:

I love the old style of Zelda, and I'd be really disappointed if Skyward Sword is the last of it.  That being said, Breath of the Wild is amazing so far.  Hopefully it will eventually be a 2D/3D Mario kind of thing where both are released about once per generation.

I don't think Skyward Sword will be the last one because I fully expect that game to get an HD remaster in the coming 2-3 years, but I'm worried that we'll never get a new Zelda in the old style. As for the bolded part, I hope so, but I think Zelda will go the 2D/3D route just like Mario.

I don't mind the weapon breaking, after all the game showers you with new weapons. I don't understand though why they made the material inventory infinite but the weapon inventory tinyas fuck. Especially since the weapons break so often. it would be better to have ample supply without constantly micro managing.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
I don't mind the weapon breaking, after all the game showers you with new weapons. I don't understand though why they made the material inventory infinite but the weapon inventory tinyas fuck. Especially since the weapons break so often. it would be better to have ample supply without constantly micro managing.

Pretty much this. Even with the seeds, doesn't make sense at all, since you can only add only one space per upgrade

Click HERE and be happy 

It's still Zelda. Remember, Zelda 1 on NES was essentially an open world game. Think of this game in that vien. Sure it takes cues from Skyrim and Witcher III but it has that Zelda spice to it. You'll feel right at home.

Yes, it is in the game. You need to find the armor to fully assemble the armor. There are numerous other full outfits from other Links as well.

There's not a lot, they focus on traversing the structure and not finding keys, master keys, etc. The puzzles can be challenging from what I've played. The "dungeon" of the game are few and far between but the 100+ shrines more than makes up for the puzzle solving goodness known to Zelda. But as you said, you don't count shrines, but shrines contain most of the puzzle solving that Zelda is known for. Don't think of dungeons in this game as dungeons from previous games, they don't serve the same purpose. So I guess in this regard, it might be disappointing to you.

Yes, heart pieces are gone, but they have been replaced with an equivalent. So yes, getting 4 or something can turn into a heart container or something else. The opening animations are gone. The chime music isn't. It comes in piano form and orchestrated form for very special items.

All weapons break to my knowledge, you can't repair them. I haven't gotten the Mastere Sword yet so I don't know if that breaks. Sorry.

EDIT: Bonus question - Is the "puzzle solved" tune still in the game?

You bet, that's something you just don't mess with. No matter how much you break the conventions of Zelda.