By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The switch launch feels very quiet...

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Don't Xbox controllers charge with an included charge cable, or do you still need to buy that bullshit play and charge kit? I honestly don't know. But what does MS's actions have to do with whether Nintendo designed the Switch primarily as a handheld?

Its 100% relevent, your argument is that Switch is a handheld because you cant charge the controller while playing on TV unless you buy an additional accessory.

Xbox One is exactly the same, you cannot charge the controller while playing unless you buy an additional accessory or buy new batteries.

Is Xbox One a handheld? No, so your argument is invalid.

Well if that was my only reasoning for thinking it you might have a point. But it's not, and you don't.

Besides, the fact that you buy the system that uses disposable batteries brings with it an expectation that you have to replace them yourself after they die.

Edit: The more I think of it, the more nonsensical this counterargument is. What Sony or MS decides to do with their consoles has nothing to do with whether the Switch was designed to be a handheld console first, and a home console second or not. How about you guys focus on what Nintendo has done as opposed to what anyone else is doing?

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 18 January 2018

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Its 100% relevent, your argument is that Switch is a handheld because you cant charge the controller while playing on TV unless you buy an additional accessory.

Xbox One is exactly the same, you cannot charge the controller while playing unless you buy an additional accessory or buy new batteries.

Is Xbox One a handheld? No, so your argument is invalid.

Well if that was my only reasoning for thinking it you might have a point. But it's not, and you don't.

Its literally the only reason you have given so how about next time you actually give some legitimate reasons instead of ones that get debunked in 2 minutes?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Its literally the only reason you have given so how about next time you actually give some legitimate reasons instead of ones that get debunked in 2 minutes?

I said from the beginning it was one reason, not the only reason.

And you haven't debunked it yet. To debunk something is to prove it to be false. I got the Splatoon 2 Switch bundle. Prove to me how I can charge my joycons and play in TV mode at the same time using nothing but the contents of that box. Should be simple enough if it can "get debunked in 2 minutes".

All people have said is "it's not a problem for me, therefore it's not a problem", or "my controllers came more charged, and I can't read, therefore it's not a problem", or "what Microsoft did with the Xbox affects how Nintendo designed the Switch because reasons, therefore it's not a problem" or "you can buy an accessory therefore it's not a problem.

If Nintendo included that charging controller dock and a cable, I wouldn't have an argument. If Nintendo included the pro controller and a charging cable, I wouldn't have an argument. But they didn't, so I do. You just think it's a non-issue because it's never been an issue for you.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 18 January 2018

potato_hamster said:

And you haven't debunked it yet. To debunk something is to prove it to be false. I got the Splatoon 2 Switch bundle. Prove to me how I can charge my joycons and play in TV mode at the same time using nothing but the contents of that box. Should be simple enough if it can "get debunked in 2 minutes".

All people have said is "it's not a problem for me, therefore it's not a problem", or "my controllers came more charged, and I can't read, therefore it's not a problem", or "what Microsoft did with the Xbox affects how Nintendo designed the Switch because reasons, therefore it's not a problem" or "you can buy an accessory therefore it's not a problem.

If Nintendo included that charging controller dock and a cable, I wouldn't have an argument. If Nintendo included the pro controller and a charging cable, I wouldn't have an argument. But they didn't, so I do. You just think it's a non-issue because it's never been an issue for you.

You're argument is insanely weak. The reason the charge grip isn't in the box is most likely due to price. Why would they raise the price by adding in something that people likely will never need. 

The main thing that hurts you're argument is that nintendo themselves have said it isn't primarily a handheld. You're argument just doesn't make much sense. If the the joy cons had a very short battery life i might see you're point.

pikashoe said:
potato_hamster said:

You're argument is insanely weak. The reason the charge grip isn't in the box is most likely due to price. Why would they raise the price by adding in something that people likely will never need. 

The main thing that hurts you're argument is that nintendo themselves have said it isn't primarily a handheld. You're argument just doesn't make much sense. If the the joy cons had a very short battery life i might see you're point.

Nintendo themselves also said the Switch wasn't a replacement for the Wii U... so...

I'm not talking about what Nintendo is presenting it or marketing it as. I'm talking about the console itself, how it was designed, and how it functions.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Did you know that some 3DS systems are disposable. You just buy them and play them until the battery dies and then you throw it away and go out and buy a new one.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Nobody said it doesnt affect you, nobody cares that it affects you, that has nothing to do with the convo.

The reason you gave for it being a handheld makes no damn sense whatsoever or in other words got debunked.

Not being able to charge while playing has nothing to do with a device being a console, portable or hybrid.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

irstupid said:
potato_hamster said:

Did you know that some 3DS systems are disposable. You just buy them and play them until the battery dies and then you throw it away and go out and buy a new one.

Any other silly arguments that have nothing to do with what I said? I know in Europe and other places, Nintendo products don't come with charge cords. That's a shitty practice, but what does that have to do with the obviousness that the Switch was designed primarily as a handheld?

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Nobody said it doesnt affect you, nobody cares that it affects you, that has nothing to do with the convo.

The reason you gave for it being a handheld makes no damn sense whatsoever or in other words got debunked.

Not being able to charge while playing has nothing to do with a device being a console, portable or hybrid.

Is this like a generational thing where people think they can just change the definition of words at their leisure? If I'm not mistaken Zorg, you have like 3 kids, which means you're probably around my age, and definitely means you should know better.

Who said anything about it "affecting me" until you brought it up. Not being able to charge while playing is actually evidence that indicates that Nintendo designed the Switch primarily as a handheld. Sure, alone, it's not very strong evidence at all, but nowhere did I say that this alone proves it.

Tell me, if the Switch shipped with a pro controller instead of a pair of joycons, meaning out of the box, it could not be used as a handheld, do you think that would change how Nintendo is conveying to the customer how the Switch is intended to be used? A simple yes or no answer is all that is needed.

potato_hamster said:
irstupid said:

Any other silly arguments that have nothing to do with what I said? I know in Europe and other places, Nintendo products don't come with charge cords. That's a shitty practice, but what does that have to do with the obviousness that the Switch was designed primarily as a handheld?

Your argument is that since the Switch didn't come with a way to charge the joycons or play while docked and charging out of the box then it was meant to be a handheld.

Thus following that argument, the 3DS that didn't' come with a charger were never meant to be charged. They were meant to be thrown away after depletion.