By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The switch launch feels very quiet...

Mandalore76 said:
potato_hamster said:

How is that relevant? It still doesn't change the fact that if your joycon dies, there's no way to charge it and play TV mode at the same time out of the box.

You are acting like your experience represents 100% of Switch customers.  I've seen most people say their joycons were charged at about 55% of full.  I don't remember having any problems playing my Switch straight off the TV on launch day.  But because for some reason, your joycons were drained, that must mean that "the Switch is a handheld, not a hybrid console".  The first Play Station I ever bought stopped reading discs the first day.  Does that mean Sony actually viewed their console as a paperweight first with very little regard to it actually being able to play games as well? 

No I'm not. I'm talking about how the Switch is designed and sold. It doesn't matter what the charge of the Joycons were when I opened my Switch. Even if they were at 100% and I played my switch so long they died, it would not change the fact that out of the box, I can only charge them when they're connected to the Switch itself.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Because a 15 minute charge isn't a good enough reason to consider Switch primarily a handheld. If the console came with zero charge but the joycons came fully charged would that make it primarily a home console?

It doesn't matter how long the controllers take to charge, and it doesn't matter what the charge of the joycons were when I got it. The fact that if my joycon dies I cannot play in docked mode using my TV out of the box is a solid reason that Nintendo is more concerned about the handheld experience than the tv one.

Please note, I didn't say it was the sole reason. It's one of many reasons why it's obvious that Nintendo designed the Switch to be portable first, and a home console second.

If Sony came out with new version of the Vita that came with a TV dock that synched with an included PS4 controller, a new high performance mode that displayed at a higher resolution image when docked, and TV hookups in the box, would that now be considered a hybrid console?

What if your fucking batteries die in a xbox controller then? And its sunday and the shops are shut? Then you truly fucked. Also man the joycons literally last forever never ever had them run out whilst playing in portable mode or at home.Never. those fuckers last for ever and in between its docked bringing them upto 100%

golfgt170 said:
potato_hamster said:

Ahh. Not a switch owner I take it? The controller dock that comes with the Switch doesn't charge the controllers It's just a piece of plastic with two metal rails.

You can buy one that does for $30.

ofc i have a Switch and i was reffering at that accessory. not the standard inbox shell controller. What i meant, is that it's possible to game on docked even when joycons die :)

Sure, if you buy additional accessories. But that's not my point. The fact that it's not included in the box means something.

Tell me, if Nintendo shipped the Switch with the dock and shell controller as optional accessories that can be purchased seperately much like the dock and shell controller are available for purchase now, then would the Switch still be a hybrid in your eyes?

Nogamez said:
potato_hamster said:

It doesn't matter how long the controllers take to charge, and it doesn't matter what the charge of the joycons were when I got it. The fact that if my joycon dies I cannot play in docked mode using my TV out of the box is a solid reason that Nintendo is more concerned about the handheld experience than the tv one.

Please note, I didn't say it was the sole reason. It's one of many reasons why it's obvious that Nintendo designed the Switch to be portable first, and a home console second.

If Sony came out with new version of the Vita that came with a TV dock that synched with an included PS4 controller, a new high performance mode that displayed at a higher resolution image when docked, and TV hookups in the box, would that now be considered a hybrid console?

What if your fucking batteries die in a xbox controller then? And its sunday and the shops are shut? Then you truly fucked. Also man the joycons literally last forever never ever had them run out whilst playing in portable mode or at home.Never. those fuckers last for ever and in between its docked bringing them upto 100%

Don't Xbox controllers charge with an included charge cable, or do you still need to buy that bullshit play and charge kit? I honestly don't know. But what does MS's actions have to do with whether Nintendo designed the Switch primarily as a handheld?

specialk said:
Nautilus said:

I doubt that each minigame will contain something like 40 hours of unque experiences on it, maybe barring Project Giant Robot, but even then...

I guess we will see.

Why is this the threshold?

I think our utility curves got messed up seriously by the iPhone. You can buy an iPhone with a 326 DPI screen for $349. Access to websites like YouTube and Twitch are effective free if you don't value the time you spend watching advertisements.

If you break it down to cost per hour of entertainment, nothing will ever, ever, ever beat a smart phone.

But people still spend money on other experiences. Families still load their cars up, drive across the country, and spend $100 a head for a 10 hour day at Disneyland. People still spend good money to hear live music when they could listen to better quality recordings for the cost of a Spotify membership.

I think we miss the forest through the trees a bit when we try to break everything down this way.

This has to be the most pathetic reasoning I have ever read in my life.

The amount of power in a battery of something one buys does not in any way equate how something should be viewed.

My Switch could have been dead on arrival or 100% power. My joycons the same. When I get new phones, sometimes they are 100% fully charged and other times down to like 20%. Insert example of millions of other chargeable devices. How charged up a joycon was when you took it out of a box means absolutely nothing in regards to whether it is a home console or handheld.

Heck, if you want to talk battery, then the argument favors it being a home console over handheld. Why you ask. Because the joycons last like 20+ hours on their own and the switch undocked only lasts a few. Clearly Nintendo meant for you do have the system docked and play that way. The batteries last longer that way.

But your right. We should judge a system completely on the status of its batteries when you opened the box. What happens that first few hours of owning a system are more important than the next 1000 hours.

potato_hamster said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Because a 15 minute charge isn't a good enough reason to consider Switch primarily a handheld. If the console came with zero charge but the joycons came fully charged would that make it primarily a home console?

Around the Network
irstupid said:
specialk said:

Why is this the threshold?

I think our utility curves got messed up seriously by the iPhone. You can buy an iPhone with a 326 DPI screen for $349. Access to websites like YouTube and Twitch are effective free if you don't value the time you spend watching advertisements.

If you break it down to cost per hour of entertainment, nothing will ever, ever, ever beat a smart phone.

But people still spend money on other experiences. Families still load their cars up, drive across the country, and spend $100 a head for a 10 hour day at Disneyland. People still spend good money to hear live music when they could listen to better quality recordings for the cost of a Spotify membership.

I think we miss the forest through the trees a bit when we try to break everything down this way.

This has to be the most pathetic reasoning I have ever read in my life.

The amount of power in a battery of something one buys does not in any way equate how something should be viewed.

My Switch could have been dead on arrival or 100% power. My joycons the same. When I get new phones, sometimes they are 100% fully charged and other times down to like 20%. Insert example of millions of other chargeable devices. How charged up a joycon was when you took it out of a box means absolutely nothing in regards to whether it is a home console or handheld.

Heck, if you want to talk battery, then the argument favors it being a home console over handheld. Why you ask. Because the joycons last like 20+ hours on their own and the switch undocked only lasts a few. Clearly Nintendo meant for you do have the system docked and play that way. The batteries last longer that way.

But your right. We should judge a system completely on the status of its batteries when you opened the box. What happens that first few hours of owning a system are more important than the next 1000 hours.

potato_hamster said:

For about the 4th time, the initial charge of my joycons was irrelevant. The mere fact that when my joycons die, I cannot both charge the joycons and play my Switch in TV mode at the same time is the point.

But hey, if you want to keep making strawman arguments, be my guest.

potato_hamster said:
Nogamez said:

Don't Xbox controllers charge with an included charge cable, or do you still need to buy that bullshit play and charge kit? I honestly don't know. But what does MS's actions have to do with whether Nintendo designed the Switch primarily as a handheld?

Still gotta buy the plug and play bullshit mate. Atleast sony and nintendo have rechargeable internal batteries as standard. My kids xbox controller eats batteries like crazy.  

Nogamez said:
potato_hamster said:

Still gotta buy the plug and play bullshit mate. Atleast sony and nintendo have rechargeable internal batteries as standard. My kids xbox controller eats batteries like crazy.  

That's absolutely ridiculous. I thought it was bad enough that the PS4 only shipped with 6 foot USB cables.

potato_hamster said:
Nogamez said:

Its 100% relevent, your argument is that Switch is a handheld because you cant charge the controller while playing on TV unless you buy an additional accessory.

Xbox One is exactly the same, you cannot charge the controller while playing unless you buy an additional accessory or buy new batteries.

Is Xbox One a handheld? No, so your argument is invalid.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

potato_hamster said:
Nogamez said:

That's absolutely ridiculous. I thought it was bad enough that the PS4 only shipped with 6 foot USB cables.

Yeah and my PS4 controller constantly dead always need charging. That is also a pain in the arse. Only controllers that actually dont annoy me are the joycons and pro controller.