By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The switch launch feels very quiet...

sethnintendo said:
zorg1000 said:
Swith launched with less than 10 games, less than 2 months later it has about 40. There are plenty of games to play between the wait from Zelda to Mario Kart.

Are you counting indie eshop games also?  How many retail releases are there?

yes i dont discriminate, a game is a game.

not sure how many retail, maybe 10 or so?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Doesn't feel quiet to me lol.

Something...Something...Games...Something

StarOcean said:
sethnintendo said:

Started hard and then kept hard for a long time before going soft.

In other words, it wasn't like this?

Nintendo Wii released in november 19th 2006 in the americas and December 2nd worldwide, according to vgchartz data nintendo had shipped 3.19 million units by december 31th.

The switch released march 3rd and according to superdata nintendo managed to sell through 2.4 million units out of 2.5m during the month of march, so considering it launched on march and still managed to be so close to the wii which released in time for black friday it's pretty impressive. 

if nintendo manages to keep momentum and keep selling 1 million units per month til october, you can say it has potential to be a wii case, during the year of 2007, wii managed to sell a range of 900k to 1.1million during the whole 3 quarters.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

StarDoor said:
gtaguidelng said:
maybe It is quiet because early adopters are silently weeping waiting for games after zelda now.

Yup, they're definitiely weeping that, after playing the highest rated game of the year, they have to settle for playing the second-highest rated game of the year next.

I rate this comment

Jimsterling/10

But yeah I think for a console to have 2 megaton success's in the first month of launch is pretty amazing, I mean look back at the GC with Luigis Mansion, the Wii-U with... Nintendoland, the 3ds with a far lighter first year than this first month. Wouldn't mind a link to the comments of people feeling empty after Zelda with their console.

Think I've actually played more Switch so far than I did my PS4 to date... and that is with just Zelda and Fast RMX

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
StarDoor said:

Yup, they're definitiely weeping that, after playing the highest rated game of the year, they have to settle for playing the second-highest rated game of the year next.

I rate this comment

Jimsterling/10

But yeah I think for a console to have 2 megaton success's in the first month of launch is pretty amazing, I mean look back at the GC with Luigis Mansion, the Wii-U with... Nintendoland, the 3ds with a far lighter first year than this first month. Wouldn't mind a link to the comments of people feeling empty after Zelda with their console.

Think I've actually played more Switch so far than I did my PS4 to date... and that is with just Zelda and Fast RMX

GC got Smash less than a month I believe in NA and launched with Wave Race, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 Rogue Leader, Tony Hawk 3, Super Monkey Ball, and Luigi's Mansion. Not a shabby lineup within the first few months if you ask me but apparently it didn't help enough.

Around the Network

One more data, Wii managed to sell 20 million units by the end of december 31th in 2007, enjoying 2 holiday periods. Reaching their 18.5mil forecast in the end of march would mean pretty much wii success, it's an insane number but if nintendo play the right cards it has a very slight chance of happening, so it all depends on what nintendo is bringing on E3.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Gotta be honest, I'm loving the Switch for indie games as well, many of which I never got around to playing.

Just got the physical version of Binding of Isaac and it came with a game manual that very clearly copied the look and style of the game manual that came with the original Legend of Zelda. Very cool :)

Otherwise, I still haven't gotten around to all the games I have on it... 130 hours in Zelda, ~10 in "World of Goo" (OCD goals in that will be the end of me haha), ~10 in Snake Pass, still haven't played much of RMX, Super Bomberman R, or that Lego game I missed on the Wii U.

I think you'd really have to play the crap out of the Switch to be feeling like there's nothing left to do at this point.

Johnw1104 said:
Gotta be honest, I'm loving the Switch for indie games as well, many of which I never got around to playing.

Just got the physical version of Binding of Isaac and it came with a game manual that very clearly copied the look and style of the game manual that came with the original Legend of Zelda. Very cool :)

Otherwise, I still haven't gotten around to all the games I have on it... 130 hours in Zelda, ~10 in "World of Goo" (OCD goals in that will be the end of me haha), ~10 in Snake Pass, still haven't played much of RMX, Super Bomberman R, or that Lego game I missed on the Wii U.

I think you'd really have to play the crap out of the Switch to be feeling like there's nothing left to do at this point.

Same here, I have played close to 80 hours of Breath of the Wild and since then I have been having a blast with smaller titles like Fast RMX, Snipperclips, Blaster Master Zero & Snake Pass and there are a few other games I'm interested in but haven't purchased yet. If someone can't find anything to play on Switch than that's their own fault.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

sethnintendo said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I rate this comment

Jimsterling/10

GC got Smash less than a month I believe in NA and launched with Wave Race, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 Rogue Leader, Tony Hawk 3, Super Monkey Ball, and Luigi's Mansion. Not a shabby lineup within the first few months if you ask me but apparently it didn't help enough.

Yeah Melee did come a month after Launch in both EU and US but I just meant in terms of First party it launched with Luigi and Wave race, I love the shit out of Luigis Mansion and to this day think it is one of the nicest looking video games out there, but still... it wasn't exactly breath of the Wild rival was it?

THPS3 though... damn forgot that was a launch game... Such a phenomenal game, still play it to this day on PC/GC/Xbox and GBA

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Gotta be honest, I get the impression that most of the people talking about some post-zelda Switch boredom usually strike me as people who don't actually own the Switch lol

Besides, the majority of early adopters are enthusiasts who know exactly what they're getting. Despite my initial skepticism (such as my regretful "Is this the weakest launch lineup ever?" thread haha) the Switch has easily been one of the most enjoyable early console experiences I've had. I also bought the PS4 at launch, for instance, and I seem to recall AC IV being just about the only game I played for nearly a year; the vast majority of consoles take quite a while to establish themselves and really justify their existence.

The Switch has done an excellent job in that so far.