By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OS 2.0.0: public WiFi, eShop, My Nintendo, Friend Codes

RolStoppable said:
irstupid said:

Didn't we always? I thought physical games came with a little slip of paper that you went online to enter the code and got credit for buying the game.

At least that was how it was back in the day when I purchased physical games.

Nope, when Club Nintendo was about to end, Nintendo didn't put any more codes in the boxes of new releases. And then, when the successor My Nintendo went live, it didn't change.

But the coin values for physical Switch games will be a lot lower than for digital purchases. A €60 game will only net a reward value of ~€1.50 in physical form, but ~€7 in digital form.

Well I like the reward for digital for a few reasons.

1. Buying digital suppots dev more directly. They get larger cuts.

2. Digital should be cheaper, but since it isn't the higher reward makes it sort of, since you can use those rewards to get deals on other digital games.

3. Digital, the company knows how much you paid. Say you buy a game from the bargain bin for $5 and then input the code and get credit for a $60 game. Meanwhile another person buys that same game digitally for $5 on some sale and only gets thus credit for a $5 purchase.

Around the Network

Goddamit, Friend codes atacks again.

Hopefully My Nintendo rewards step up their game, and finally offers free games instead of just discounts

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I can't believe there are FCs again. Seriously pointless. No reason to not just follow WiiU's example and focus on names/NNIDs only.

TomaTito said:
Shikamo said:
i really hate friend code... but is optional ?

You can also add people locally

No friend codes needed! By the way... wiiU didn´t require them.

(I´m actually just posting your picture again because it seems that some people missed it) 

RolStoppable said:
irstupid said:

Well I like the reward for digital for a few reasons.

1. Buying digital suppots dev more directly. They get larger cuts.

2. Digital should be cheaper, but since it isn't the higher reward makes it sort of, since you can use those rewards to get deals on other digital games.

3. Digital, the company knows how much you paid. Say you buy a game from the bargain bin for $5 and then input the code and get credit for a $60 game. Meanwhile another person buys that same game digitally for $5 on some sale and only gets thus credit for a $5 purchase.

1. If you really want to support devs, you are doing them more of a service by recommending their game to other people. Besides, it's not like anybody would have to feel guilty for buying physical games anyway.

2. Like I said in another post in this thread, the higher reward for going digital is basically offset by the increased amount of storage you'll have to pay for. Opting for physical copies doesn't make someone lose out on as much as it looks like at a first glance.

3. So far, My Nintendo has always awarded people in accordance with the base price of games, so in your example the reward system would treat a digital $5 purchase as a $60 game. You could occasionally buy $15 games on sale for $1 or $2 and earn 20 gold coins, roughly worth $2; in that sense, you could exploit Nintendo's system to essentially get a game for free because the coins you got in return were of equal or higher worth than what you paid for said game.

1. The point I used is teh same as someone saying buy new instead of used to support dev. Obviously if I can get 100 of my freidns to buy the game that is better than me doing anything, but that is apples to oranges. Talking just about oneself right now.

2. Well this just gets down to what one considers important. You can get an SD card for like $50 that will last plenty of time, and lets say you put 20 games on that card. That means for an extra $2.50 on top of each game price it becomes completely portable and not having to carry around a pack of 20 game carts on the go, or fid space for 20 game cases on the shelf. To some that is worth the price and some. To others, they want the card and the case and wouldnt' do digital even if onboard storage was 10000 terabytes.  But take Amazon prime for example. I'm a member. I get 20% off pre-ordered games. Yet I don't buy physical, so I"m missing out on that chance. So hearing my digital purchases gets me more rewards to purchase other digitals for say 20% off as well is nice.

3. Didn't know that. So the system can be abused both ways. But are you sure. I seem to recal when I entered in older games into mynintnedo back in the day I would not get as many points as a new game.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
irstupid said:

1. The point I used is teh same as someone saying buy new instead of used to support dev. Obviously if I can get 100 of my freidns to buy the game that is better than me doing anything, but that is apples to oranges. Talking just about oneself right now.

2. Well this just gets down to what one considers important. You can get an SD card for like $50 that will last plenty of time, and lets say you put 20 games on that card. That means for an extra $2.50 on top of each game price it becomes completely portable and not having to carry around a pack of 20 game carts on the go, or fid space for 20 game cases on the shelf. To some that is worth the price and some. To others, they want the card and the case and wouldnt' do digital even if onboard storage was 10000 terabytes.  But take Amazon prime for example. I'm a member. I get 20% off pre-ordered games. Yet I don't buy physical, so I"m missing out on that chance. So hearing my digital purchases gets me more rewards to purchase other digitals for say 20% off as well is nice.

3. Didn't know that. So the system can be abused both ways. But are you sure. I seem to recal when I entered in older games into mynintnedo back in the day I would not get as many points as a new game.

1+2. Well yes, you can buy digital if you want to give more money to devs, but like you said, ultimately each customer gets to decide what is best for themselves. But no, buying digital or physical is not the same as buying new or used, because a used games sale doesn't give any money to the developer. There is no reason to condemn physical purchases as something lesser, because it's the customer who spends the money and he or she who has the money gets to decide what is worth paying for.

3. With My Nintendo you don't have to enter anything manually. As soon as you purchase something on the eShop, gold coins get added automatically to your My Nintendo account. What you recall must be either Club Nintendo or wrong altogether.

1. Wasn't comparing buying digital or physical as new or used. Was just saying that digital does give more to dev tahn physical, so I feel like I'm supporting the dev better. Just brought up new/used as an example that many people use when saying buying used hurts developers. I'm not saying buying physical hurst devs, just saying digital helps them more.

2. Like I said, I have been digital for a long time. The system I'm refering to was the prior one. The one you got free sound tracks or pins or whatever each year if you made platinum status and stuff. Probably club nintendo as you said. I just recal entering the code you got with the disc and then picking somethig that ends up in my closet for years not being touched as my reward. Maybe my club nintendo pins or majora's mask soundtrack unoopened will be worth a few bucks someday. Who knows.

If I can't add friends online by searching for their user ID, then yes, friend codes are a huge problem.

Can't believe good old friend codes are back

I'm assuming this friends codes isn't the old version where each game has a different code, but you just have one friend code for the system. If so, I don't see the big deal.

Sure its not as easy to tell someone to add 85722546820 versus skippypeanut538, but easy enough. You just put it in your sig below your Nintendo ID and people can add easy enough. Isn't that how 3DS was?

But from the sound of things you can add people by either id or friend code. So again it sounds like people are bitching about an optional thing?

irstupid said:
I'm assuming this friends codes isn't the old version where each game has a different code, but you just have one friend code for the system. If so, I don't see the big deal.

Sure its not as easy to tell someone to add 85722546820 versus skippypeanut538, but easy enough. You just put it in your sig below your Nintendo ID and people can add easy enough. Isn't that how 3DS was?

But from the sound of things you can add people by either id or friend code. So again it sounds like people are bitching about an optional thing?

It's the only way to add people online without having played with them (but who adds randoms from online games?). When no one in the world uses an old, slow, and tedious process, it becomes increasingly obvious that people at Nintendo are literal idiots. The Switch uses NNIDs, Nintendo Accounts, My Nintendo, and I still have to use 12 random numbers to add people. I can easily say my NNID or Nintendo Account name (Slarvax), but to get my stupid Friend Code I have to open 2 menus, copy it, then make sure it's not wrong. It's stupid. We're not in 2005 anymore. Or 2001? FC weren't even popular in 2005...

But anyway, there will be an update someday to kill Friend Codes forever: http://nintendoeverything.com/adding-friends-on-switch-to-be-expanded-in-the-future-social-media-nnid-in-game-interface/

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988