By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - More Americans died in Chicago than in the Iraq & Afghanistan wars combined

irstupid said:
crissindahouse said:
With around 16000 homicides a year in USA and a crazy amount in some cities, I'm always surprised to read about the dangerous state Germany is in right now according to some American politicians and "reporters"

The size is insanely different. There is what 80 mil in Germany, and 320 million USA. So just statistically, the US should have like 4x the amount of homicides as Germany.  Don't know what germany has.

But as this topic points out, most of it is congested into a few big cities, and not just those big cities, but a few small areas in those big cities.

For the vast majority of American's there is no worry of homicides. I mean Chicago is like a 5 hour drive away for me. Hardly going to be scared of what i happening there. They aren't coming up to me and I ain't going there. And when I do ever go to chicago, it's in North Chicago or somewhere safe. Just as you hear of No Go zones in places in Europe now, there are the obvious no go zones in the big cities here too. 

I was born in Detroit and lived there before moving to Canada, and basically what happened is that downtown Detroit and the suburbs surrounding Detroit are pretty safe, but the city itself minus downtown is pretty bad. The well off people were able to live the city when things started going downhill, but the poorer people couldn't afford to leave and ended up being stuck in the city.

Around the Network
think-man said:
Get rid of guns and crimes will drop ten fold.

I'd say that inequality is a bigger problem. I'm not too keen on the police having a monopoly on guns when there are so many cases of police brutality and police shootings.

VGPolyglot said:

irstupid said:

South Chicago is predominately black. Whatever they do, race baters like you can scream racism.

Cops become more involved, they are profiling and they are racist. Cops become less involved, they don't care about black people and are racist.

What they need is help, what they don't need is being targeted more by the cops than they already are.

They don't want help. And giving help doesn't ever help. You think this would be the first time someone has tried to help some crime ridden poverty area?

The people making it a bad area don't want help. They like it how it is. They own the streets, the people, the fear, ect.

Go in and try and improve the area with and all it ends up doing is pushing whoever lives there out to a new area. It happens all the time in big cities. What was once a "no go" area in the city is now a happening place and great place to live, yet none of the people who used to live there do now. They all slowly move north or south from said area. They get priced out of their current homes, or they feel uncomfortable with the newer neighbors and leave. Noticed that black people especially seem to be uncomfortable with gay people moving into an area.

think-man said:

Though you have to wonder how much of the guns used in crimes are legally vs. illegally owned.

irstupid said:
VGPolyglot said:

What they need is help, what they don't need is being targeted more by the cops than they already are.

They don't want help. And giving help doesn't ever help. You think this would be the first time someone has tried to help some crime ridden poverty area?

The people making it a bad area don't want help. They like it how it is. They own the streets, the people, the fear, ect.

Go in and try and improve the area with and all it ends up doing is pushing whoever lives there out to a new area. It happens all the time in big cities. What was once a "no go" area in the city is now a happening place and great place to live, yet none of the people who used to live there do now. They all slowly move north or south from said area. They get priced out of their current homes, or they feel uncomfortable with the newer neighbors and leave. Noticed that black people especially seem to be uncomfortable with gay people moving into an area.

Yeah, because they're not really trying to improve the lives of people there, what they're doing is gentrifying the areas and forcing the poorer people out. I'm not advocating forcing the poor out to make the area more middle-class, I'm advocating helping the poor so that they are no longer poor.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
think-man said:

Though you have to wonder how much of the guns used in crimes are legally vs. illegally owned.

I'm sure most are illegally owned with serials missings.

But who cares if legal or not. Killing someone is illegal anyway. Does it really matter the method of the killing. Gang members would just resort to killing with knifes or baseball bats or something instead. Bring back the curb stomping. Crime doesn't magically dissapear if guns do. I don't see the homicides dropping that much if guns were gone. The amount of people in the ER with life threatening injuries woudl skyrocket though. (Though I'm sure one woudl rather have all their limbs broken versus being dead)

But hey, at least guns lower medical bills. Would hate to live in Gotham City with Batman. Imagine how much the city is on the hook for all those gangsters that are sent to the ER for broken arms, and other "non-killing" methods that batman uses. Hell, there are probably 100 people who are paralyzed for life due to him. I doubt a single one has insurance. Batman woudl be saving a lot of taxpayers dollars if he just put a bullet in their heads. Plus can't imagine the legal fees in batman cases. Can they even go to jail by just being tied up by Batman. I mean a cop drives up to the docks and see 10 dudes knocked out and strung up. Even if there is cocaine sitting around, can they really pin it on those guys. Feel like unless the cops already have a warrent out or something for someone, anyone Batman brings in would be walking in 24 hours. Well, if they can walk.

Chicago overall isn't really the issue either, it's just a part of Chicago.

If you look at only intentional murders, the US averages 3.9 murders per 100,000 people, Germany  averages about 0.9 per 100,000, roughly 12,250 in the US per year vs. 716 in Germany per year.  There were more murders in Chicago last year than in all of Germany for the same period. The "No Go" zones in Europe are overblown, roughly the equivalant of walking through a slum or ghetto in the US but generally with fewer muggings.

Chicago's murder rate is 15.65 per 100,000. My city is roughly 11.5, Los Angeles is currently at 6 per 100,000 down from 35.2 per 100,000 in 1980.

New Orleans had a murder rate of 57.6 per 100,000 recently. St. Louis and Detroit's murder rates are 50 per 100,000. Baltimore is at 49 per 100,000. 

People like to focus on Chicago since it's a "no gun zone" and the sheer overall numbers, but of course that's like living in a dry county and being able to drive 10 minutes to buy beer in the neighboring county. Kinda pointless.

think-man said:

Crime will drop... but you ll have to run around and collect all the guns people already have.

Even then I bet it takes a good 5-10 years or so before you really start seeing crime rates drop as a effect (too many guns in circulation).

VGPolyglot said:
think-man said:

I'd say that inequality is a bigger problem. I'm not too keen on the police having a monopoly on guns when there are so many cases of police brutality and police shootings.

Get rid of guns, police wont have to fear getting shot by everyone avg joe public.

Then police brutality and police shootings will drop as a result.

JRPGfan said:
VGPolyglot said:

Get rid of guns, police wont have to fear getting shot by everyone avg joe public.

Then police brutality and police shootings will drop as a result.

Yeah, like the police would willingly give up their guns.