By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Last Guardian tops 1 million!

SvennoJ said:
Jay_Angel said:
Is 1 million units considered Niche?

Ofcourse. TLG sold less than 2% of a heavily milked city shooter and less than 1% of some basic looking block game where you even have to build stuff yourself. Anything that sells to less than 10% of the userbase is ultra niche, and TLG didn't manage to break 2%. It shouldn't even be considered niche at that level, statistical noise more like.

Damn, I guess almost every single game on the PS2 was niche. 

Around the Network
pray4mojo said:
Qwark said:
Sony exclusives do sell pretty decent this gen. Even niche games break the million mark.

I don't really think a 1.8% attach ratio is all that impressive though. The only Sony exclusive that has sold more than 2 million copies is Uncharted.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Jay_Angel said:
Is 1 million units considered Niche?

Niche is more about the game itself than sales. Every now and again even a game in a niche genre or type can be a big seller, it happens. It also happens in music, movies, books, etc. But 1m in sales on that user base doesn't mean it isn't niche. Sony dropped the game to $40 pretty quickly and idk about you guys but my local game stores are pretty overstocked of copies. I think it had a great initia surge just thanks to the hype and very long wait people have endured but as someone else said I doubt it has much legs.

Well done to Team Ico on those sales, hopefully the official numbers when released are within the same ballpark. I still haven't picked up the game yet, but I am rather excited to try it out!

There have been plenty of games that sell nowhere near the install base of a system. If a game sells 2-3 million, I can't really say that's niche anymore, despite that being potentially less than 10% of a system's user base.

Around the Network

According to fools on the net Sony games don't sell and no one buys their console for their games. Yet all of their games except maybe 2 are platinum plus. No bad for a console with no games.

COKTOE said:
pray4mojo said:

I don't really think a 1.8% attach ratio is all that impressive though. The only Sony exclusive that has sold more than 2 million copies is Uncharted.

Rofl. People like that guy is who I was referring to. Why does it even matter to him? Platinum is platinum and it's good for the industry no matter the game or platform. Fanboys are not gamers.

Bristow9091 said:
Boutros said:

He keeps repeating that lol

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8307058

Ah thanks for that ;) 

lol...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8322664

How is the actual game though? Didn't hear much about it.

Bristow9091 said:
Boutros said:

lol...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8322664

Check the post again... :P