By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Neogaf : Multiple reports of joycon issues in switch previews.

SonytendoAmiibo said:
sc94597 said:
Considering the ease of charging them, I think Nintendo is best off boosting the signal at the expense of joycon battery life. I hope they can access the joycon firmware.

Nintendo can't just change the Bluetooth signal with a firmware update. The hardware has already gone through FCC testing and is licensed to operate at the current signal strength.

As far as I am aware there are two reasons why this does not necessarily have to be true. 

1. When one gets FCC certified there are certain modifications allowed which do not require recertification. 

2. It is possible to be certified for a range of signal strengths. 

Around the Network

Almost seems like the wireless joy cons are designed more for table top mode where the distance will be short rather than for home console use. Clearly designed to conserve power in table top mode. Hopefully they can ramp up the sensitivity/power of the bluetooth receiver when in docked mode in a firmware fix rather than mess with joy con run time. Does seem like an early firmware issue, they always have these issues.

Day one patch for the bug I think, I guess it was screwed up in the last update because it was working fine at the conferences

sc94597 said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

Nintendo can't just change the Bluetooth signal with a firmware update. The hardware has already gone through FCC testing and is licensed to operate at the current signal strength.

As far as I am aware there are two reasons why this does not necessarily have to be true. 

1. When one gets FCC certified there are certain modifications allowed which do not require recertification. 

Yes, Nintendo can get the Joy-Cons recertified if they have too. Or, like you said, they have a range of the signal already approved by the FCC. So there might be some kind of firmware update Nintendo can use to fix the problem. But that will shorten the battery life of the Joy-Cons.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

SonytendoAmiibo said:
Gamexplain just put this vid up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbG3F9RwlcY

Wow, that looks incredibly bad.

It's surprising how much people are willing to say is OK on this thread.  I'll just use Pro controller so it's OK.  I'll just use a long HDMI cable so I can be close to the base unit.  I'll just eat off my left hand so I don't have to worry about this problem.  WTF?

I have kids running in front of me all the time while playing my consoles... this is not normal and I hope it is fixed, no excuses.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
SonytendoAmiibo said:
sc94597 said:

Yes, Nintendo can get the Joy-Cons recertified if they have too. Or, like you said, they have a range of the signal already approved by the FCC. So there might be some kind of firmware update Nintendo can use to fix the problem. But that will shorten the battery life of the Joy-Cons.

Since is already 20 hours that may not be a big issue, i doubt intensifying the signal is gonna double the power used by the whole joycon

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213

I can have my Wii U gamepad 15ft away from the console with a wall inbetween and it'll still work fine, so this is a pretty big fail as it's like Nintendo went backwards.

Einsam_Delphin said:
I can have my Wii U gamepad 15ft away from the console with a wall inbetween and it'll still work fine, so this is a pretty big fail as it's like Nintendo went backwards.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230910566&postcount=552

This guy has it and says it works fine at 16 feet of distance, but it start to have problems with obstacles around 10 feet

This seems to be something that will be updated with a patch anyways

But we'll see.

If this really is an issue of a weak Bluetooth signal this could be bad news. Hopefully they can fix it with a software update...but that seems less likely if it's a weak signal.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.