By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch battery life: 2h 48m when playing Zelda

RolStoppable said:
Nem said:

Don't you wish? The thread was for those saying it was going to be 3 hours minimal in a previous discussion. 

The battery life is even less than the 3 hours Nintendo touted. This is absolutely terribe for any portability, sorry to say. Fans can come up with all sorts of excuses, but they know no portable console would get lack of flaming if it presented this kind of battery life. Also, i bet its even worse if you play an online game like mario kart.

Point at hand: The Switch is terrible at beeing portable. This news isn't for me. :p

This isn't news. A battery life of 2.5-6 hours was announced by Nintendo on January 12th, shortly after Nintendo said that more demanding games like Zelda will drain the battery in about three hours. If you ran into anyone on this forum who said otherwise, you already had Nintendo's official benchmarks to point to.

You know, the thing is Nintendo said 3 hours, not 2.5. So, you can imagine how defensive they were beeing. 

For example: https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/13/nintendo-switch-battery-life-zelda/

Though i still doubt the battery will last even 2.5 hours with an online game like mario kart. It's unrealistic to expect it to last longer aswell, unless you are playing a really crappy indie or classic game.

It IS a problem, wether fans wish to recognise it or not. You will need to charge it every day. Like the commercials you see with lots of people playing multiplayer outside, it just won't happen with this kind of battery life. Someone will always forget to have re-charged and will stop bringing it. 

This will only get worse with time. So, if this is supposed to be a sucessor to the 3DS aswell, wich i think it isn't, it desperatly needs a revision already.

Around the Network
Nem said:

You will need to charge it every day.

Oh No!!!!! People will have to charge it everyday!!!!! Just like they do with all of their current portable devices

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

You will need to charge it every day.

Oh No!!!!! People will have to charge it everyday!!!!! Just like they do with all of their current portable devices

Most devices can get more than 2 hours of charge. Just wait until more demanding games are released, but oh no be offended some question Nintendo.

3 hours 2 minutes 52 seconds on default settings

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiBtZ34vuQg

betacon said:
zorg1000 said:

Most devices can get more than 2 hours of charge. Just wait until more demanding games are released, but oh no be offended some question Nintendo.

I have no problem with people questioning Nintendo, I have a problem when people use dumb reasoning to support their argument, such as having to charge everyday.

edit: and its more than 2 hours by the way

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Nem said:
RolStoppable said:

This isn't news. A battery life of 2.5-6 hours was announced by Nintendo on January 12th, shortly after Nintendo said that more demanding games like Zelda will drain the battery in about three hours. If you ran into anyone on this forum who said otherwise, you already had Nintendo's official benchmarks to point to.

You know, the thing is Nintendo said 3 hours, not 2.5. So, you can imagine how defensive they were beeing. 

For example: https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/13/nintendo-switch-battery-life-zelda/

Though i still doubt the battery will last even 2.5 hours with an online game like mario kart. It's unrealistic to expect it to last longer aswell, unless you are playing a really crappy indie or classic game.

It IS a problem, wether fans wish to recognise it or not. You will need to charge it every day. Like the commercials you see with lots of people playing multiplayer outside, it just won't happen with this kind of battery life. Someone will always forget to have re-charged and will stop bringing it. 

This will only get worse with time. So, if this is supposed to be a sucessor to the 3DS aswell, wich i think it isn't, it desperatly needs a revision already.

Nintendo said that switch battery was 2.5h - 6.5 h and that Zelda would be playable for around 3 hours, where is the problem here then? the game lasts  just a bit under 3 hours on default settings and on an update they have tried the game with lower brightness and it goes beyond the 3 hour mark, so they were completely right.

You know nothing about how much MK8 will dran the battery, is pure assumptions, yes Mk8 uses wifi, but Mario Kart is not a freanking huge open world, is not the same. 

Your point about the fact that you need to charge it everyday sounds pretty dumb, I'm sorry but there is no other way to describe it, in order to charge the switch you you only have to leave it on its dock, how much work is that? Is where is supossed to be, it cannot be easier and faster than that, and you talk like if charging a device everyday is something weird when the whole planet is doing that with their mobiles and tablets for God Sake...

I'm afraid your arguments are more in need of a desperate revision, a portable with 2.5 - 6.5h depending on the game and settings is perfectly fine and not very different from the previous hanheld generation.

Goodnightmoon said:
NATO said:
so 2 hours after 6 months of battery degradation xD

You really have fun downplaying, don't you? Is battery degradation suddlenly an exclusive problem of switch? Wasn't Vita or 3DS affected by this too? What about those Vita games that lasts barely 2 hours, were those 1 hour after 1 year of degradation or that is just a Switch thing? Isn't maybe less of a problem here since this is an hybrid and you may not be playing it as a portable always unlike on Vita/3DS case? And also, honestly, don't you have anything more productive to do? Is not like your trashing is gonna prevent anyone from buying it or is gonna change anyone minds, is just noise.

So does the vita and other devices battery degrading change my point in the slightest?

Nope, not at all, stay salty son

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

d21lewis said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Less games will be played on the switch on average but because it demands so much it will take a toll compared to the 3DS has lower budget and less demanding games made for it. The 3D im sure was the brunt of the issue with battery drainage on that platform.

....Uh, can you dumb that down for be a little? I don't understand what you're saying.

Im saying Nintendo will have less games in their library for the Switch than they did for the 3DS (because they will lack key third party which has pushed the generation). If more AAA multiplatform games were used on the switch you would see two and a half hours or less for a lot of games. When I get my switch I know I am keeping that thing plugged in as much as I can( as I favor the handheld look). Mario Odyssey is definitely going to take a toll on it. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
d21lewis said:

....Uh, can you dumb that down for be a little? I don't understand what you're saying.

Im saying Nintendo will have less games in their library for the Switch than they did for the 3DS (because they will lack key third party which has pushed the generation). If more AAA multiplatform games were used on the switch you would see two and a half hours or less for a lot of games. When I get my switch I know I am keeping that thing plugged in as I favor the handheld look. 

How do you figure?

RolStoppable said:
Nem said:

Zelda manages to run for three hours on Switch, so where exactly would be the problem? No, I cannot imagine people being defensive over it. If you faced hostility in the past few weeks, then that's most likely due to some inane reasoning you presented.

I wouldn't expect people to play their Switch online in the wild (meaning away from power outlets). How many people do that with their 3DS or Vita? Maybe 0.01% if we use a highball estimate?

If we assume a scenario of people getting together to play local multiplayer with several Switches, one logical assumption to go with that would be that at least one person is always going to have a charging cable with them, because the likelihood that all people of the group are oblivious is extremely low. That you believe otherwise would be why you face hostility; it's not because people are defensive, it's because you are trying to pass off nonsense as sound reasoning. Also worth of note, getting used to charging Switch at home should be quite easy for people, because its natural fit is the dock.

I thought that you made this thread because you wanted to have a talking point why there will be a separate 3DS successor, something that you insisted on in recent weeks. But there won't be one. Switch's battery life is acceptable. If people are able to get ~4 hours out of a medium game, then that falls in line with the original 3DS, a system that sold well enough.

My problem is that you start your post with a factually false statement and is therefore difficult to take anything you say seriously.