By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump revokes Obama guidelines on transgender bathrooms

Kaneman! said:
Pemalite said:

So if you are going to take the "Natural" high-road, I hope you catch/grow your own food, build your own shelter from naturally occuring materials in the immediate vicinity of the building location... Walk/jog to work rather than use transport...

And don't get things like life-saving surgery.

And besides, you just used the key words... "They changed themselves". ergo. They should use the toilets that they identify with.

Where did I say manipulation of nature is wrong? I never did. What I said is that even WITH manipulation, it can't be achieved.

No need to put a straw man up every time I reply to you.

For the sake of the argument, I'm gonna ask you something though. How far can this "identification" thing go then? Is it only limited to gender? And if it is, why? Is it a crime when a hunter shoots someone who identifies as deer?

I think what makes transgender a real thing while transspecies is not is that there is research indicating that in certain ways the brains of trans women are more like cis women then they are cis men and the same is true of trans men.  There is no such research that indicates anyone has the brain of a deer and thus the "well what if I identify as a toaster, will you shove your morning bread into me?" is just a ridiculous analogy.  If research is done that shows people who see themselves as another species have brains with activity or structures similar to those of the species they believe they are then you can put them in the same category as transgender. 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

If that isn't how you were trying to portray yourself, then I apologise as I understood you differently.

Being Transgender isn't always easy, they are one of the most vulnerable demographics in society.

Manipulation however... If someone transitions from male to female, gets surgery to remove their breasts, takes testosterone which results in physical changes such as facial hair... Change their name, dress like a man, acts like a man, portrays themselves as a man... Then to me. They are a man. Regardless of what reproductive organs they do/do not have as that is none of my business.

Besides, Science is never going to stand still, we are have come a massively long way in hormone and genetic manipulation and that isn't going to stop any time soon... And I hope the Transgender demographics leverage that technology.

Apparently there was some misunderstanding, yes. My whole point was that a complete conversion on a biological basis isn't possible, I'm actually trying to keep out of the sociological argument about the toilets and stick to what I know. :D

That being said, DNA replacement or altering seems wholly implausible, to say at least. As cells divide by mitosis, DNA would have to be replaced in every single body cell. Not only is that impossible, but also wouldn't reach the desired effect. Genetic modification doesn't work like that. Also ironically, the same groups who are pro-transgender are against GMO, so I don't see that working out as well.

Pemalite said:

Ever heard of the saying... "Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it probably is a duck?" That applys to Trans people. A female to male trans person who walks like a man, talks like a man, is a man.

If someone identifies as a deer, looks like a deer, acts like a deer... Then they are probably a deer. (Although that a silly comparison to make, we aren't talking life and death here, just toilets.)

Oh, I know, I just like playing devil's advocate. A sort of reductio ad absurdum, if you like.

Torillian said:

I think what makes transgender a real thing while transspecies is not is that there is research indicating that in certain ways the brains of trans women are more like cis women then they are cis men and the same is true of trans men.  There is no such research that indicates anyone has the brain of a deer and thus the "well what if I identify as a toaster, will you shove your morning bread into me?" is just a ridiculous analogy.  If research is done that shows people who see themselves as another species have brains with activity or structures similar to those of the species they believe they are then you can put them in the same category as transgender. 

On the other hand, those studies also prove that while the brain is similar, it's not the same as the cis brain, thereby only supporting my statement about there being a biological disparity even after manipulation.

Kaneman! said:
Torillian said:

On the other hand, those studies also prove that while the brain is similar, it's not the same as the cis brain, thereby only supporting my statement about there being a biological disparity even after manipulation.

That's true, it's not as reductive as "female brain trapped in a male body" but there are real physical factors that create this phenomenon which give the transgender concept more validity than the transdeer example presented.  

Torillian said:

That's true, it's not as reductive as "female brain trapped in a male body" but there are real physical factors that create this phenomenon which give the transgender concept more validity than the transdeer example presented.  

I know, and I don't disagree. I made it ridiculous on purpose. It was about the context of the word "identify", which I don't think should be taken at face value, like it often is on the internet.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Do you realize how many transsexuals attempt to commit suicide? It's about 41%:

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/lgbt/transgender-suicide/

Discriminating against them further will only make things worse. It's not like they decide "hey, I guess that I'll be a girl today, let's just walk into the women's bathroom." That's not how things work. Now, I'm not sure what your reason is for bathrooms being seperated by gender, but I assume it's because of risk of sexual assault. Well, transgenders are much more at risk of being sexually assaulted than sexually assaulting others:

https://www.ovc.gov/pubs/forge/sexual_numbers.html

Well I wouldn't consider telling those with a dick to use the mens room and those with a vagina to use the womens room to be discrimination so...

And how exactly do you go about doing this? Have a security guard check everyone's genitals before going in? Get real. 

NewGuy said:
Kagerow said:

It is not. That is the problem. While biological sex can be easily determined, aligning that description with gender... Does not work. This discussion tends to never end.

While I do not have any opinion about this issue - as I did not do researches nor calculations - It is amusing to see people thinking about criminals abusing it. Because they totally held up the law before this existed.

That's your opinion, mine is different. What is so hard to understand? I don't want or feel comfortable with someone who was born with a penis sharing a bathroom with my girlfriend, mom, daughter, or niece.

Instead, you'd rather they share a bathroom with somebody like this: 

Got it. 

Torillian said:
Kaneman! said:

Do you have any of these studies available? In this case we would be talking about an actual physical condition based on brain misdevelopment and it may be cured with further research.

KManX89 said:
NewGuy said:

That's your opinion, mine is different. What is so hard to understand? I don't want or feel comfortable with someone who was born with a penis sharing a bathroom with my girlfriend, mom, daughter, or niece.

Got it. 

Not sure what your point is. He is a man, so I would share the bathroom with the creep. I would much rather he share the bathroom with  me than my daughter, would you not?

NewGuy said:
KManX89 said:

Got it. 

Not sure what your point is. He is a man, so I would share the bathroom with the creep. I would much rather he share the bathroom with  me than my daughter, would you not?

I think you might be confused. He is transgender. Born a female. He would be forced to use Bathrooms with women.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--