By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like Phil Spencer is going to be congratulating Sony for their exclusives for a while

It just dawned on me but Phil Spencer and Microsoft have a lot of similarities to me. Passive aggressive and hard to know when they're being serious.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
crissindahouse said:

Or maybe he only mentions games which are praised by critics and not only considered one of hundreds of "average" games?

That would be the logical conclusion and not "he only likes games with guns and swords, that's why he doesn't praise every single PS4 exclusive"

I mean, there has to be some line to which he praised and which not. He also didn't praise Killzone ot The Order as much as I know... (ok, they are older but also less critical acclaimed, who knows what he would have said about a 90 Metascore The Order because of the score)

Uhm, both Gravity Rush and Last Guardian are praised by critics. Not sure why u bring up KZSF and Order, those games weren't received well.

Maybe by some but average scores of 81 and 82 are not "praised" in my opinion. Like I said, he has to draw some line which games he congratulates Sony for and which not and right now he did that with games with a minimum Metascore of 88 and all these games are part of the best the console has ot offer in the opinion of critics. A game with a Metascore of 81 is "only" one of many games which reach that and not a special achievement. 

So yeah, to believe Spencer will congratulate Sony for games which get a Meta of maybe 85+ and will also sell very well makes more sense as to believe he excluded Gravity Rush 2 or The Last Guardian because it's not his kind of game. Maybe these are not his kind of games but I still think he does it when he expects good sales and great scores from exclusive PS4 games and not because he likes them so much more as other PS4 games. 

What is weird or passive aggressive about saying your competition has no 4K drive in their 4K machine, or has to rely on FauxK more than your own product does? Seems like marketing to me.

I always envisioned these virtue signal tweets as Phil standing up in a crowded room, announcing his congratulations to Sony, followed by a golf clap with practiced smile and death glare. BS Sony/MS PR is always more fun framing it like an exchange between L and Yagami from Death Note.

Ka-pi96 said:
mjk45 said:

I still chuckle when I think about Crash using a megaphone to heckle Xbox  right outside Ms's Redmond site.

You sure that wasn't Nintendo? Wouldn't really make sense for Crash to heckle Xbox when Xbox received its first Crash game about 5 months after it released.

Yes your right,  I'm an idiot  don't know why i wrote Redmond I've seen the ad enough times to know he calls out mustache man.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

makes sense, Phil doesn't care about having exclusive games so him congratulating Sony seems like a "good job wasting your time not making money from PC", what he doesn't understand is that the money he makes from PC on xbox ex-exclusives is at the detriment of the xbox brand itself and it will only kill the brand for a few quick 100 thousand game sales that makes it look good to the investors right now but it will be the end for the brand in the near future

S.T.A.G.E. said:
fauzman said:
To be honest I think Sony have done the same. One cant help but remember the emphasis on being able to lend games that Sony emphasised once the Xone was revealed. Nor the teasing ad with Shu. Congratulating the opposition is a lot better than the arrogance shown by all parties in the prev gens.

It would be considered good if Microsoft sayihg congratulations wasnt followed by undercurrents of passive aggressive advertisement. Remember the Xbox S response to the PS4?

What are you referring to here?

KLAMarine said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

It would be considered good if Microsoft sayihg congratulations wasnt followed by undercurrents of passive aggressive advertisement. Remember the Xbox S response to the PS4?

Microsoft congratulated Sony on Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne in an act of good will and then Once the Pro Launched, Microsoft created a counter ad on twitter basically saying "Look at our Xbox S, their console is fake 4k". Earlier on Phil Spencer was saying the petty console war was something he and the company didnt want to get into. which led Sony to call out Microsoft on phil spencers words of not playing dirty. One should never let their guard down with Microsoft. Their good will doesnt mean much. They applaud Sony and Nintendo where they know they are beaten and that will always be exclusives, hands down. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
KLAMarine said:

Microsoft congratulated Sony on Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne in an act of good will and then Once the Pro Launched, Microsoft created a counter ad on twitter basically saying "Look at our Xbox S, their console is fake 4k". Earlier on Phil Spencer was saying the petty console war was something he and the company didnt want to get into. which led Sony to call out Microsoft on phil spencers words of not playing dirty. One should never let their guard down with Microsoft. Their good will doesnt mean much. They applaud Sony and Nintendo where they know they are beaten and that will always be exclusives, hands down. 

What counter ad are you referring to specifically?

KLAMarine said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

What counter ad are you referring to specifically?

They bragged abbout how their console has a UHD blu ray and 4k streaming to discredit the Pro when it was revealed. Funny...if Microsoft had succeeded in trying to take out Blu Ray by using HD DVD against it they would have nothing to brag about, because Sony has been pioneering that end since day one. As if to say "we can be a better Sony than Sony".Tech doesnt make one better than Sony.
https://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-taking-jabs-at-sony-with-recent-tweets-385815.phtml