By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony AM DEAD in Japan....WHY?

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Let me mention this, because it's especially true in Japan.

A console only has one chance to make a first impression.

That means, that after a certain amount of time, a console gets a stigma about it with the potential and particularly casual audience.

In America, the Gamecube had the stigma of, "It's a kiddy console."

Of course, Nintendo detractors started that, but were given ammo with the release of the cartoony Wind Waker, which was the downfall of the Gamecube from second place WW last gen, imo.

If the PS3 has developed the stigma in Japan of "having no games" or "is too expensive" like it did early on in America, it will be much harder for it to break that stigma in the more traditional and less changing Japanese society than it would for it to do so in America.

That said, the PS3 is still suffering from that stigma even in America, but much less so in Europe, where the "has no games" stigma never really developed or caught on.

In other words, the PS3 has been stigmized with the casual audience, in Japan, I feel. An image change, such as a new SKU and new advertising campaign, concentrating on price, and a price cut could certainly do the job, but individual games along won't do anything to help the commercial success of a stigmized console, just ask the Gamecube in Japan, or the Xbox 360, I feel this is a certainty, and though I might only be a "wanna-be" analyist myself, I do feel that I can think and reason just as well as Patcher, and I think that stigmatization is a valid concern for any company, and certainly should be even more so, in Japan.

Not to mention the fact that it actually does have no games, at least not near enough that cater to the Japanese.  Right now it's not a stigma.  It's the truth, at least as far as Japan is concerned.

Around the Network

Well, "no" games is painting in broad strokes. It has Disgaea 3, Yakuza, and Devil May Cry. It simply has no games worth writing home about, for the Japanese game loving fan in America.

I think it has at least a months worth of playable games for the Japanese audience. It has been out for over a year though, and there in lies the issue with a stigma its creating. When the PS3 does inevitably get good Japanese style games, within the next 2 years, will the casual audience immediately change its mind about the machine when they are released, or will the stigma take time to overcome? Usually, it takes time, but Nintendo has managed to break stigmas overnight, with the launch of the Wii, so there really is no way to tell the future.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Parokki said:
While only mentioning Sony in the title is a bit misleading due to the PSP doing pretty well, I don't see how saying the PS3 is dead in dead in Japan is trolling. Just look at the numbers.

Japan has a history of choosing one console over the rest, and it's pretty obvious by now which one they've picked.

I think that this gen of all gens has the chance to break that trend, given the vast differences between the Wii and PS3.  The PS3 just needs a price drop and a lot more games to do so.

Imo, all even semi-hardcore gamers in Japan will have both a Wii and a PS3 by the end of the gen, given the fact that they both provide quite different gaming experiences (a difference that did not exist between the ps2 and GC). Not to mention, the Blu-Ray playback will also convince more and more people to pick up a ps3, whether it's in addition to a Wii, or to fulfill their gaming needs by itself.

i agree - the PS3 needs a price cut there

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Well, "no" games is painting in broad strokes. It has Disgaea 3, Yakuza, and Devil May Cry. It simply has no games worth writing home about, for the Japanese game loving fan in America.

I think it has at least a months worth of playable games for the Japanese audience. It has been out for over a year though, and there in lies the issue with a stigma its creating. When the PS3 does inevitably get good Japanese style games, within the next 2 years, will the casual audience immediately change its mind about the machine when they are released, or will the stigma take time to overcome? Usually, it takes time, but Nintendo has managed to break stigmas overnight, with the launch of the Wii, so there really is no way to tell the future.

It will definitely take time, but I believe that FFXIII, MGS4, and GT5, along with help from other games like Tekken 6, White Knight Story, and Eternal Sonata (and Tales, if that gets ported, and SO4, assuming it's coming to the ps3), can gradually reverse that stigma. The latter titles are also important, in large numbers, as they provide the base upon which the big titles stand. Without them, the ps3 will be like the GameCube, having a big hit here and there with nothing in between to keep people interested.

Looking at the games you listed. The only notable series is Yakuza, and even that barely breaks the 700k mark. DMC hasn't ever broken the 400k mark in Japan, and DMC4 has already sold 290k, so anybody willing to buy a system for it already has, and apparently had a good while before it was even released, given the non-existant spike when it hit. As for Disgaea, it has never even broken the 150k mark in Japan.

Those just aren't the types of games that people are willing to jump in for. Dynasty Warriors and Hot Shots Golf so far have been bigger successes, with notable spikes upon release, but even those haven't carried sales substantially.

If GT5, FFXIII, and MGS4 (more so the former two than the latter) can't change the image of the ps3, then it will officially be dead in Japan, imo.

Around the Network

Whoah whoever made this thread should try not to mislead the readers. The topic is that of a trolls. I don't understand why Generalizing Sony being dead in Japan. When PSP sales are high rising above the rest. You should get your eyes checked.

Anyway.. I agree with Zen

PS3 needs to change their image. If judged by price, Wii is cheaper and offers more than what Sony has. Technical sides of PS3 are a bonus, but people don't care about that. They need satisfying games to play.

They should also think of a way to try to at least get a tantamount support from Japanese developers. If I were in Japan or think like them PS3 never matches the games Wii offers. They should get off their butts and start finding console sellers and adjusting the price points.

Although, What I believe now is that PS3 can never be as cheap or cheaper than the Wii during this time. But it's not too late to save the Playstation brand in Japan. They just need the right stuff at the right time.

Everyone! Just remember what happened to the PSP every since it's redesign.

If Sony does that for the PS3, then I believe that the same will happen for the PS3.

The main reason the PS3 isn't doing as well as it used to be doing is because Sony discontinued the 60 gig (or 40 gig, I can't remember which one) that had backwards compatibility. The PS3 was selling much more than it is now with that version.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

hunter_alien said:
Yet another wannabe annalist ....

There's a reason Analyst doesn't have two "n"s.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Its not the PSP's redesign that has helped it sell the most in japan, but its the monster hunter game. The truth is for the longest time the PSP has been struggling against the Ds apart from the Past few weeks, i think sales on the front page kinda prove it where the DS leeds japan territory by over 10 mil units, but the PSP has done well for its self in-spite of its competition, the same thing will happen to the PS3, when MGS or FF or insert another AAA game here comes out, i think you will see the sales of the PS3 shoot up, but the far gone conclusion is that the Wii owns japan, so does the DS simple, but nobody is dying there apart from the 360 which, lets face it was a still born in that territory, but that should come as a surprise to no one.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"