By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch dev talk – 50,000 yen for a kit, Capcom wants to make AAA games, much more

500$ is a steal. This machine may be very popular with the indies. Even I want to try and get a chance of scoring a dev kit just to fool around with it. Can anyone hook me up?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

Monster Hunter Switch incoming...

KLXVER said:
kljesta64 said:

same here. they never knew how to handle big ass games.

Capcom and Konami should release new 2d Mega Man, Ghosts`n Goblins, Castlevania and Contra. Would be amazing

Yes! I hope Bomberman R does well and lower-budget titles from these two companies are plentiful. Can't say I don't want to see some AAAs on the Switch as well, though. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

In comparison, I believe the wiiu dev kit costs around $2500. So the price of the switch dev kit will no doubt attract more devs.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Interesting.It seems that Capcom is confident in the Switch(which is natural due to their success with their titles on the 3DS).The most interesting here is that:Nintendo is hearing companies and their complains and requests about the system and taking the feedback(apparently) to heart and that Capcom may be bringing RE to the Switch.I mean, RE 7 may not end up on the Switch, since by the time they finish making the engine compatible and the porting work, the title may be "irrelevant" by that point(much like Watch Dogs on Wii U) and thus making not much sense to bring the title to it, but maybe RE 8 and RE 2 remake may appear on it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

In comparison, I believe the wiiu dev kit costs around $2500. So the price of the switch dev kit will no doubt attract more devs.

Wait what?  You're serious?  My word.

I do hope this grabs the attention of a lot of indies, especially those with some kijd of ambition.  I already like that we are seeing things like Yooka-Laylee (still bitter about the Wii U fiasco though), FAST RMX, Snake Pass, and Freedom Planet 2 (ok, not as ambitious but looks excellent so far), hopefully the price can help make the Switch a great destination for good indies and encourage indies to take a chance on design.  Also, Nintendo should step in when an indie is substantial enough and give such indies a boxed release.  Yooka-Laylee, Snake Pass, and FAST RMX would all be great to have sitting on a shelf.

Nuvendil said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Wait what?  You're serious?  My word.

I do hope this grabs the attention of a lot of indies, especially those with some kijd of ambition.  I already like that we are seeing things like Yooka-Laylee (still bitter about the Wii U fiasco though), FAST RMX, Snake Pass, and Freedom Planet 2 (ok, not as ambitious but looks excellent so far), hopefully the price can help make the Switch a great destination for good indies and encourage indies to take a chance on design.  Also, Nintendo should step in when an indie is substantial enough and give such indies a boxed release.  Yooka-Laylee, Snake Pass, and FAST RMX would all be great to have sitting on a shelf.

Yeaa, that's what a few sites tell me at least. Also according to polygon, the dev kit of a ps4 is also costs $2500 but Sony likes to lend the indies those dev kits for free for a year or so.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4553842/so-how-much-does-it-cost-to-develop-for-playstation-4

So the switch's dev kit pricing is very competitive

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Can the Switch become a major platform based on the majority of its games being small indie titles most of which are available elsewhere at lower prices? I personally don't think so. Switch needs great exclusives and while possible they will come from the indie sector that seems unlikely.

It's not actually that hard or expensive to develop on some other platforms like pc, android etc.

Perhaps if Nintendo were pro-active in helping the indie sector maybe even allowing the use of some of their older IP to be updated by indie's. I'm sure there are many NES, GB and SNES titles that Nintendo could allow for updated versions by independents. I'd certainly love to do a Pilotwings update although I'd be more interested in doing something closer to pilotwings 64 than the original pilotwings.

Well, we had Capcom's president saying that multiplatform development was possible with Switch, but that they wouldn't do it because they want to do something different for Nintendo's machine, and that hasn't changed after hearing what this Capcom employee has said. After all, porting an engine doesn't mean porting a game.

But, as with everything, time will tell what will happen between Capcom and Nintendo and which games will the machine get. At least, the fact that they are working together is very positive and it could be very beneficial for both sides as it was this last gen the cooperation between Nintendo and Bandai-Namco.

Also, I'm curious about the "main memory space" bit. Did Nintendo go with 2GB (including whatever the OS reserves for itself, like with Wii U) and Capcom convinced them to make it bigger? And how bigger? 4GB?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

There's a massive difference between the 500€ from the Switch dev kit and the +2000€ of the WiiU one.

How expensive are the PS4/XBOne/3DS/Vita dev kits?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.