By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Amazon Japan has Nintendo Switch PREORDERS!!

StarDoor said:
Platina said:
The question I have though, is if you can choose a region outside of Japan?

Previous systems were region locked before, but now that the Switch isn't, can you choose other regions? Games like Pokemon and the new Zelda have different language options, so it's not impossible, but being limited to the Japanese region and eShop wouldn't be the best

Nintendo confirmed that users will see the eShop of the region they have selected for their My Nintendo account, so it's not tied to the hardware. Additionally, all Switch units come with the nine major languages installed, since that guy who got a US Switch early could select any of the 8 Euro languages + Japanese.

Any negatives in doing this? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
David_Hernandeez said:
Roderic_Blackwood said:

Actually, it costs $9,500 (USD $466) in Amazon Mexico and $9,999 in other retailers so don't exaggerate ;)

P.D. Laurita Vellas (guiño, guiño) :D

Actually $490, but still thats a lot, almost 500+100 for zelda, I mean Consoles are a luxury but they are trying to steal us. I would pay 8500 without doubt but 9500 or 10000 is a bit to much.

$466 on Amazon with the current exchange and $490 elsewhere but I agree, Latamel wants to rip us off. That's why I'm buying the Switch in Japan next summer.

Platina said:

Oh nice, that's very good news.. though I guess that means you can't just switch your region to buy Japanese eShop geames :p

Actually... you can! I just checked, and you can change your Nintendo Account's region at any time.

Jranation said:
StarDoor said:

Nintendo confirmed that users will see the eShop of the region they have selected for their My Nintendo account, so it's not tied to the hardware. Additionally, all Switch units come with the nine major languages installed, since that guy who got a US Switch early could select any of the 8 Euro languages + Japanese.

Well, you might get games that are only in the language of whatever region in which you're purchasing them. And if you're switching around a lot, it might be possible that you can't download updates for games that are from a different region without changing your account's region back first. I don't know, the console isn't out yet. From what we know right now, there's nothing stopping you from changing your account's region and buying games from a different eShop.

StarDoor said:
Jranation said:

Well, you might get games that are only in the language of whatever region in which you're purchasing them. And if you're switching around a lot, it might be possible that you can't download updates for games that are from a different region without changing your account's region back first. I don't know, the console isn't out yet. From what we know right now, there's nothing stopping you from changing your account's region and buying games from a different eShop.

Can you pay in any currency you want? And I'm not sure if the eshop will change every time you change your account's region, it seems weird.

Around the Network
Faelco said:

Can you pay in any currency you want?

I'd imagine it works like the Wii U and 3DS eShops, where your currency is automatically converted if your card has a different currency than what your country's eShop uses. But that might be something that the card company is responsible for, and not Nintendo per se.

StarDoor said:
Faelco said:

Can you pay in any currency you want?

I'd imagine it works like the Wii U and 3DS eShops, where your currency is automatically converted if your card has a different currency than what your country's eShop uses. But that might be something that the card company is responsible for, and not Nintendo per se.

I asked because in the PlayStation Store, you can't buy something without a credit card from the country (or a prepaid PSN card). So you can't just buy whatever you want whenever you want, it's a bit more complicated than that. 

There usually are reasons behind the regions separation (rights, age rating...), it would seem a bit weird to be able to officially do anything you want with it. The console switching region everytime you change your account's region might be complicated too... 

It doesn't have preorders...
It has consoles people bought to flip, being sold by scalpers for $100 over MSRP

I.e. when the people who actually got a pre-order receive theirs, they'll send it on to you.

This is why the estimated delivery for them is 3-4 days after the actual launch...

NATO said:

It doesn't have preorders...
It has consoles people bought to flip, being sold by scalpers for $100 over MSRP

I.e. when the people who actually got a pre-order receive theirs, they'll send it on to you.

This is why the estimated delivery for them is 3-4 days after the actual launch...

That's because they're out of stock already. It says ¥40,340 ($355) right now from second-hand buyers, but when this thread was posted (and I ordered one) the price was ¥29,980 ($264) directly from Amazon Japan. The estimated delivery is 3-4 days later just because of international shipping.

Ka-pi96 said:
Faelco said:

I asked because in the PlayStation Store, you can't buy something without a credit card from the country (or a prepaid PSN card). So you can't just buy whatever you want whenever you want, it's a bit more complicated than that. 

There usually are reasons behind the regions separation (rights, age rating...), it would seem a bit weird to be able to officially do anything you want with it. The console switching region everytime you change your account's region might be complicated too... 

Xbox One does it so I don't see why Switch can't. I don't think you even needed a foreign card to buy stuff with it. Not 100% sure but I think I bought stuff from the US store using my UK card once.

I didn't know that, thanks! I just thought that because of the possible differences between 2 different stores (differences between 2 versions of the same game or DLC for example). I didn't think everything would be 100% compatible everywhere.