By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Breaking: Microsoft Surface launching April 17th... with AT&T!

ssj12 said:
Smash_Brother said:
iPhone interface meets obnoxiously large tablet PC meets Windows

fixed

So long as you consider that a bad thing, good call.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network

Geez, that was fast, seems like only yesterday, they were showing it off in prototype.

@superchunk It is a touch-screen. Even better, It's multi-touch.

aiden.cronus said:
well think of it as a ginormous iphone!!

Ten times the already huge price, and without that annoyingly convenient form factor! Get yours today!

I give credit to MS for thinking outside the box, but the purpose of a table (surface to put things on) and the purpose of a display (something you need a clear view of to see things) seem inherently at odds to me. I'm sure some niche uses can be found, but I don't think even a reasonable price would get one of these into a majority of homes.

PS - I want a tablet PC for DnD book pdfs. I'd rather not haul around a library with me.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

This is so the worst tech idea I've seen in years....

....[waits for wii-like explosion of popularity].......[keeps waiting]....

To Each Man, Responsibility
lultor said:
Appart from looking fancy i dont really get what the point of this thing is :P

IIRC, it's mainly for the hospitality industry.  Order stuff from your table/room, play some chess while waiting for your food, plan out routes to take from your hotel room and pay your bill by dropping your CC onto the table is just some of the stuff I can remember from an article a while back.

Around the Network

I think its a horrible waste of money. Some businesses that have thousands of dollars to spend may buy them but I cannot see this in a house. Under almost any condition. Bad move by Microsoft, I think.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

yeah cool cool but nah no thanks.

Incert Witty Comment on how i'm a fanboy of all systems including PC here.

I like the idea of being on tables in restaurants. Menus would include pictures for everything and could be updated very easily. Search the web while you wait, play games like Galaga and Ms Pacman. Maybe even include video of whats going on in the kitchen so you know they are not f*cking with your food - they'll probably never do that one.

I wouldn't want one in my house though. Too much worry about what might damage it or spill on it. Plus I usually have so much sh*t on my table I wouldn't be able to see the screen.

I think its neat, but don't really see why I or anyone else would need one in their house.

Super chunk,

Microsoft surface does use cameras but they are underneath using calibrated infrared allowing for true multi touch and other applications like reading credit card numbers and thumb prints as signature. The table uses bluetooth and wifi to communicate with phones and cameras either to identify or segregate pictures and music and videos automatically or password protected and is a complete GUI system where no typing is required. It is not a word processor and it is not designed for that.
Purposes included true virtual EQs, Design apps, PoS(Point of Sale machines), Demo

Seems like a nice idea, very interesting. I think a 30 inch cellphone would've been cooler though.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions