By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Five reasons why Nintendo Switch needs to have an achievement system

yes, because trophies DEFINITELY will make a game sell like hot cakes. I'd love to see Federation Force hit 5 million on the Switch!

Around the Network

They're great but I have yet to see evidence that it is a deal breaker/maker as far as the mainstream goes.

The main reason why Nintendo needs an achievement system is because it would greatly contribute to create a longstanding, ever-evolving online ecosystem and communities all around Nintendo's network, consoles and games, in the same vein of Xbox Live and Playstation Network.

But alas, they won't. And lack of a true online ecosystem is a huge, huge flaw. WiiU kinda got certain things right, but Switch is going backwards with this.

I liked the stickers concept on the wiiU but it had one major flaw which was that it wasn't system wide. The great thing about stickers was that you could use it as a part of your art when drawing on miiverse. My problem with the achievement systems in general atm is that apart from showing off how much time you wasted, what else is it good for?

For me to care about an achievement system, I want to get some in return apart from an epeen extension

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I hope at least an Activity log from 3DS like, where you can see also your friends activity log.(count hours, most time played, etc)
And also, why not a percentage bar for each game? We dont need a general score.
Id be super fine with something as simple as that.

Around the Network

Is rol for real this time ?

I would love achivements on a nintendo platform but it doesn't seem like nintendo wants them

RolStoppable said:

Maybe we should ask him.

My mistake, the question is are you for real ? 

You tried, I suppose.

I really like point 3. Certain achievements should unlock special cosmetic items for your avatar or perhaps a title above the person's username, similar to wow. Microsoft toyed with the idea of awards in the form of special shirts, hats... Whatever for the 360 but hasn't done the same for the xbox one.

Some games should also give more points for difficulty. Basically everyone is online with these systems, whether behind the pay wall or not, achievements could still be tracked. Scaled achievements based on percentage of people who own a specific game vs certain unlocked achievements could help. It would be hard to do on an already established system like xbox live or psn. Imagine the outcry from people loosing points? Nintendo has an advantage here.