By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch pro controller has no headphones port, disapointing

NATO said:
Alkibiádēs said:

And you can still do that if you want...

What? No table infront of the couch? Where do you put all your stuff on?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

So you think Wired Earphones are outdated?

But a 400GFlop "home console" without Analog Triggers isn't?

It's a handheld as well, so no, it's not outdated. Unless you can point me to a handheld console that can smoothly play games like Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Skyrim on the go. 

So you conveniently refer to it as just a "home console" when arguing that the abscence of a browser doesn't matter and isn't outdated, but when you bring power into the mix suddenly it's a Handheld too.

bonzobanana said:
d21lewis said:
I'm tempted to make a "Switch has No Circle Button" thread. Or better yet, a "Switch is not a PS4/Xbox One" thread.

We gamers have a track record of taking anything one console has that another doesn't and making a big deal out of it. PS3 has no cross game chat? BOOOO! Sometimes it's legit but most of the time, it is a non issue. It's just bragging rights. Remember, there as a time when PS4 and WiiU had headphone jacks and Xbox One didn't. There was (technically, there still is until the next update) a time when WiiU and Xbox One had external HDD support and PS4 didn't.

Stones and glass houses.

I take your point to a degree but sometimes the failings are really annoying and sometimes minor. The PS4 has had an upgradable hdd option from the beginning and I replaced mine with a 1TB drive I had spare as the original 500GB version was too small. So the PS4 had an alternative and I would say superior option and as you say will feature external hdd support soon anyway. Also Microsoft addressed the issue with their controller and made a superior version to solve that issue. I really don't think there is much to complain about with either Sony or Microsoft products but Nintendo can't seem to get the basic's right. They are quite eccentric designs which haven't evolved very well. Sometimes they take 1 step forward but take 2 steps backward somewhere else. I honestly thought the Switch would have analogue triggers because people moaned about the lack of them on wii u plus VC gamecube compatibility was mentioned which needs them.

And my reply: be patient. The 3DS, PS3, XB1, X360, PS4, WiiU, etc have all evolved greatly from what they were at launch. You named some examples, yourself.

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

It's a handheld as well, so no, it's not outdated. Unless you can point me to a handheld console that can smoothly play games like Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Skyrim on the go. 

So you conveniently refer to it as just a "home console" when arguing that the abscence of a browser doesn't matter and isn't outdated, but when you bring power into the mix suddenly it's a Handheld too.

News flash, it's both a home console and handheld. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

Duh, which is exactly why I was pointing out your inconsistent arguments before:

Alkibiádēs said:
NATO said:

I don't know, they still release tablets without browsers, maybe it's still 10 AD.

So not only do you use internet browsers on home consoles, but also wired headphones? What's next? Wired controllers?

You describe it as JUST a "home console" in response because it suits you better.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Duh, which is exactly why I was pointing out your inconsistent arguments before:

Alkibiádēs said:

So not only do you use internet browsers on home consoles, but also wired headphones? What's next? Wired controllers?

You describe it as JUST a "home console" in response because it suits you better.

No, I was just ridiculing the importance you seem to place on internet browsers for consoles, even though barely anyone uses them. I was specifically adressing you in that post, and correct me of I'm wrong, but I don't think you own a Switch, so I obviously was referring to the consoles you own (I assume PS4 or at least PS3). 

Like I said, a browser will probably come eventually to the Switch, it's not a big deal at all. The OS of the PS4 has seen a lot of improvement as well since launch. Let's not ignore that... 

Peh said:
NATO said:

What? No table infront of the couch? Where do you put all your stuff on?

He has a pro controller, didn't have money for a coffee table AND the controller.

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

So you think Wired Earphones are outdated?

But a 400GFlop "home console" without Analog Triggers isn't?

It's not really a 400 gflop home console either. It's not like any games will be written from the ground up to utilise that 400 gflops so you end up with the best possible graphics allowable at 400 gflops perhaps running at 720p. There is one set of code between portable and docked and the docked mode uses the 400 gflop mode to natively render at a higher resolution or enable AA or both. Every game has to be designed within the constraints of a 150 gflop graphic mode and the memory bandwidth is still 25.6GB/s which is fine for portable mode but restrictive for docked mode. It's like running an emulator where the original only has a resolution of standard definition and you get it to natively render at a higher resolution like 720p. Those 720p graphics are not comparable to a normal 720p console.

I'm sure it will become clear when we start getting analysis of Switch games and see its a simple resolution boost etc with no improved assets etc or graphic effects. The cpu speed is claimed to be the same between portable and docked mode so there is no extra cpu resources to start pushing extra graphic effects etc that would be possible by upclocking the gpu. It will just be like running a game on your pc at 720p and then switching to 720p AA, 900p AA or maybe 1080p but without changing the graphic detail settings at all. Yet on a pc if you had more cpu power and 2.5x the gpu power you could probably get away with moving those sliders upwards for graphic detail too.

Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

No, I was just ridiculing the importance you seem to place on internet browsers for consoles, even though barely anyone uses them. I was specifically adressing you in that post, and correct me of I'm wrong.

Uh, check again. You weren't addressing me, you were addressing NATO.

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

No, I was just ridiculing the importance you seem to place on internet browsers for consoles, even though barely anyone uses them. I was specifically adressing you in that post, and correct me of I'm wrong.

Uh, check again. You weren't addressing me, you were addressing NATO.

Doesn't change what I said though, the Switch isn't out yet, so I obviously wasn't referring to that console.