By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - I`m so angry about Brazil and life

JayAllenn said:

That's all they did to him? Read about Emmit Till. The US did and does worse. This country isn't and never has been a safe haven. Especially if you are not white. Sorry to hear about your friend, but Brazil does not have mass shootings so it could be worse.

Adam Lanklord, professor from University of Alabama, made a research about mass shooting and actually conclude that dangerous countries have the least amount of cases of it. That's not exclusive to Brazil. And certainly not certificate Brazil as safe.

Citizens' Council for Public Security and Criminal Justice (a non-governmental organization from Mexico) make an annual list of the most dangerous cities in the world based on the number of murders. In the top 50, 21 cities are from Brazil. Only 4 are from USA.

Around the Network
Nem said:
Lawlight said:

I'd argue that left wing extremism is what's dividing the EU countries atm.

Sure. Point me to extreme left parties in power in western europe.

Heck, just moderate left theres only 1 or 2.

It's not about the parties, it's about the spread of the ideology. Not only in the EU, but around all the western world. Things that are typically from left wing are treated as standard for democracy. Extreme left thoughts are treated as moderate left. The ultimate level of extreme left exists just to make all the rest looks like moderate. It's happening in Latin America, in EU and even in the US to the point where people refused to believe Clinton was left wing. Here in Brazil, it was easy to do. Treat right wing as an everlasting evil against workers' rights, associate military dictatorship with it, indocrinate the educational system and there it is: the three major parties (PT, PSDB and PMDB) are, respectively, from left, moderate left and center, but the later two are treated as right and the first one like a moderate left. PSOL, a extremist left wing party, is not treated as it because we have some minor more extreme left wing parties (PCO, PCdoB) that exist just to make the others seems moderate and support them in elections since they don't have any real power or support from people. Also, no right wing party with real power. Corruption in all levels of power to the point of chaos.

But, I don't think it's the major cause for robbery and minor crimes at all. I don't think inequality is the cause too. One of the problems down here, that really reflects in corruption and other types of crimes, is what we call "jeitinho brasileiro" (brazilian way). It's pretty common here trying to win in all situations, like being quiet about receiving a bigger change than we should or pretend to be asleep when sitting on a prioritary seat and some elder walks in.

MarkkyStorm said:
Nem said:

Sure. Point me to extreme left parties in power in western europe.

Heck, just moderate left theres only 1 or 2.

It's not about the parties, it's about the spread of the ideology. Not only in the EU, but around all the western world. Things that are typically from left wing are treated as standard for democracy. Extreme left thoughts are treated as moderate left. The ultimate level of extreme left exists just to make all the rest looks like moderate. It's happening in Latin America, in EU and even in the US to the point where people refused to believe Clinton was left wing. Here in Brazil, it was easy to do. Treat right wing as an everlasting evil against workers' rights, associate military dictatorship with it, indocrinate the educational system and there it is: the three major parties (PT, PSDB and PMDB) are, respectively, from left, moderate left and center, but the later two are treated as right and the first one like a moderate left. PSOL, a extremist left wing party, is not treated as it because we have some minor more extreme left wing parties (PCO, PCdoB) that exist just to make the others seems moderate and support them in elections since they don't have any real power or support from people. Also, no right wing party with real power. Corruption in all levels of power to the point of chaos.

But, I don't think it's the major cause for robbery and minor crimes at all. I don't think inequality is the cause too. One of the problems down here, that really reflects in corruption and other types of crimes, is what we call "jeitinho brasileiro" (brazilian way). It's pretty common here trying to win in all situations, like being quiet about receiving a bigger change than we should or pretend to be asleep when sitting on a prioritary seat and some elder walks in.

Man, as a marxist studier and everyday learning more about maoism, saying PSOL is extreme left is false. PSOL in like the most liberteen party in Brazil right now, they have some proposals for socials like same-sex marriage, drug liberations and abortion, but any PSOL sympathizer will cringe with the idea of things like armed revolution. The parties with most left ideology are PSTU and PCO, and they both hate PSOL>

Modern day liberals cant engage in armed revolution.

Because they are anti gun..

Zing..

Soonerman said:
Chris Hu said:

Since the two major parties in the US did a major ideology switch during the civil rights movement of the 60s the Democrats are actually the only major party that somewhat cares about the common man.  The Republicans only care about the 1% and getting richer.  Also all the ideas that benfited the common man in the last 200 years where started by the left.  The Left started Unions, fought for a minium wage, are now fighting for living wages, the abolishment of child labor, overtime pay, 40 hour work week, safe working conditions, equal pay for both sexes, unversal health care etc. etc.

Ahahaha, you gotta be kidding me right? Let me tell you the whole idea of how the Republicans are creating the one percent. Let's get taxed the shit out of us when we're middle class as inflation keeps happening for products but not salaries while giving that hard earned tax money to the poor who do not need to try to get out of welfare. If the damn democrats would put social programs that actually were tracked and the people receiving it proved they are doing their best to get out of poverty for whatever reason I would support them. But when I know a girl that has 6 kids from 4 different guys traveling to Europe with the social welfare money, cuz mind you, the dads are white trash that don't have jobs, I would actually support your claim.

The Republicans are totally resposible for making the 1% even richer they give rich people unecessary tax breaks, bailouts and coperate wellfare.  While at the same time they are against a minum wage, living wages and overtime pay.  Also if the woman you know who has 6 kids would receive the proper child support money from the four different fathers there would be no need for her to receive any goverment support but the US is one of the worst countries when it comes to collecting child support that is owned.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
m_csquare said:

When did things go out of control actually? Was it because of world cup? I've never heard abt these increasing violence case until very lately

Nah, it was never very good - it's just that it started getting really out of hand in the last few years.

Our economy started a recession sometime around 2010/2011 (probably a result of the World Cup and all the corruption surrounding it), and the government has gone downhill after Dilma's reelection in 2014 (not that it was particularly good before that) and got even worse after her impeachment. Ever since, it's been hell making a living here. It's extremely hard to find a decent job since no one's got money to pay wages, it's hard to find a place to live as apartment rents are getting more and more expensive because they need to cover the costs of taxes and such, which have only been rising because of how terrible and corrupt the government is.

I'm not much of a political guy, and I'm usually pretty unaware of these things so I don't understand much, but yeah, it's been hard living here. And of course, with an awful economy like that, with middle and lower classes just getting poorer each day, it's no wonder violence increases.

That´s true. The economic crisis/recession roughly started in 2011, when real state and car sales started to shrink. Our government, instead of paying attention to those signs, just tried to cover that with distractions like the World Cup and later the Olympics and did not took measures to avoid the crash in other sectors. The recession was inevitable as the political situation got worse.

Temer government is shit but I do believe things would be even worse if Dilma was still in charge. We all know she´s just a marionette of her party.

Elections can´t come fast enough. We must get rid of those dumb politicians...... but as we well know, Brazilians don´t know how to vote so I´m hopeless.

Rogerioandrade said:
mZuzek said:

Nah, it was never very good - it's just that it started getting really out of hand in the last few years.

Our economy started a recession sometime around 2010/2011 (probably a result of the World Cup and all the corruption surrounding it), and the government has gone downhill after Dilma's reelection in 2014 (not that it was particularly good before that) and got even worse after her impeachment. Ever since, it's been hell making a living here. It's extremely hard to find a decent job since no one's got money to pay wages, it's hard to find a place to live as apartment rents are getting more and more expensive because they need to cover the costs of taxes and such, which have only been rising because of how terrible and corrupt the government is.

I'm not much of a political guy, and I'm usually pretty unaware of these things so I don't understand much, but yeah, it's been hard living here. And of course, with an awful economy like that, with middle and lower classes just getting poorer each day, it's no wonder violence increases.

That´s true. The economic crisis/recession roughly started in 2011, when real state and car sales started to shrink. Our government, instead of paying attention to those signs, just tried to cover that with distractions like the World Cup and later the Olympics and did not took measures to avoid the crash in other sectors. The recession was inevitable as the political situation got worse.

Temer government is shit but I do believe things would be even worse if Dilma was still in charge. We all know she´s just a marionette of her party.

Elections can´t come fast enough. We must get rid of those dumb politicians...... but as we well know, Brazilians don´t know how to vote so I´m hopeless.

It really doesn`t matter for who you vote. Not just as a philosophical way of saying they are all the same, but practically too. The legend vote, or the party vote ( I don`t know how to translate it to english properly) make all the elections for legislative houses shady as guck. If a said candidate for deputy has 1 million votes and in his state he only needs 100 thousand, the rest of the 900 thousand are distributed among other candidates within the same party. This is why they invite celebrities to be candidates. Tiririca votes in Sao Paulo state were enough to elect him and 5 more, it`s some extremely flawed voting system.

invetedlotus123 said:
MarkkyStorm said:

Man, as a marxist studier and everyday learning more about maoism, saying PSOL is extreme left is false. PSOL in like the most liberteen party in Brazil right now, they have some proposals for socials like same-sex marriage, drug liberations and abortion, but any PSOL sympathizer will cringe with the idea of things like armed revolution. The parties with most left ideology are PSTU and PCO, and they both hate PSOL>

That's exactly what I'm saying. PSOL is extreme left, that is what they would be called 15 years ago, but for today standards, they sell themselves as moderate because of more extremist groups as PSTU and PCO (that actually don't have any power or significant part on our political scenario and just supports PT). The world is politically pending to the left right now. Not the old revolutionary left, but a new left that discover that silent indocrination works better than guns.