By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony bringing HDR to all 2017 TV lineup (1080P sets included)

This is great news. I can not wait for HDR content to become the norm. It is great that this does not require glasses or anything, like 3D, so at least this is one awesome advancement to TV that will come and stay.

I absolutly love the HDR games on my PS4 Pro and XBR75Z9D. So glad HLG and Dolby Vision are coming to the Z9D, hope that Sony brings both standards to PS4 Pro with a firmware update. Now if they would just bring 4K HDR videos to PS Video on Pro, and Youtube HDR, I could really start enjoying my new TV even more.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Lafiel said:

I would be very surprised to see a HDMI 2.1 set before 2018

btw @ topic no 3D = not interested in any of these

Good news for me.  I plan on buying a 55" 4k set for the ps5 by 2020. By then the high end 4k sets should be well under $1000 with all the features like HDMI 2.1 included.  Should be OLED with low input lag too.  

I just feel if I jump in now I'll regret it and want a new set with those extra features 2/3 years later. 

yea, same here

I actually bought a new TV at a christmas sale, but then send it back after HDMI 2.1 with variable refresh rates was announced, because i knew I would regret my purchase once the new consoles support that feature

m_csquare said:
kodeindahjunk said:

No, they are not broke. They don't make tons of money from their TV divison like that used to in the 90's and before, but they still make profit from TV's. The reason is, because they make high-quality TV's that most people don't care about. Sony's high-end TV have the best black levels, clearest picture (it doesn't matter if it's in a bright room or a dim room), and good durability.

The thing about getting a TV these days is, people just want to get a big TV. And the average Joe's don't care too much about picture quality. In Japan, the mentality is to ask "Is the quality better?", Japanese people don't care really much about bigger size (in fact they love things in small size). But out side of Japan, most people use to think that "Bigger is better". That's how they lost their share in the TV market, they focus on making TV's with good picture quality instead of cheaper TV with big screen.

When it comes to tv, bigger is always better. It allows you to watch further back from your tv and cause less strain to your eyes.

And stop worshiping japan like they know the best. If japanese can afford larger house, they also opt for a larger screen. And why do you think ppl are so crazy abt oled tv nowadays?

Me worshiping japan?! Read what i wrote!! I was just explaining why they lost their share in the TV market. Next time you need to read and understand a post before you reply to it, otherwise you will make another foolish assumption.

kodeindahjunk said:
m_csquare said:

When it comes to tv, bigger is always better. It allows you to watch further back from your tv and cause less strain to your eyes.

And stop worshiping japan like they know the best. If japanese can afford larger house, they also opt for a larger screen. And why do you think ppl are so crazy abt oled tv nowadays?

Me worshiping japan?! Read what i wrote!! I was just explaining why they lost their share in the TV market. Next time you need to read and understand a post before you reply to it, otherwise you will make another foolish assumption.

"And the average Joe's don't care too much about picture quality. In Japan, the mentality is to ask "Is the quality better?", Japanese people don't care really much about bigger size" Hah yea, whats the point of this line then? You mean s.korea doesnt make quality tv? But then after reading the first paragraph, i shouldv guessed you're pretty clueless abt tv. For quite a while aside from panasonic, japanese tv brand especially sony doesnt make better tv than s.korea's.