By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - External Hard Drive Support in Beta on Playstation

aLkaLiNE said:
Pemalite said:
Finally, Sony has caught up with Microsoft in this aspect.

Interested to see if it will be as elegent as the Xbox One's solution though.
Also keen to see some benchmarks.

What is particularily elegant about external HDD support on X1? Genuinely asking, I know that data loads faster via USB3.0 Bus than a Sata 2 bus. Do you think that Sony might artificially restrict this somehow?

On the Xbox On you can restrict all data to a single drive.
Or you can set a drive as a primary drive and when that is full, the console automagically starts using the next drive and will thus report all storage as a single storage amount. - Great if you have a ton of Downloads in Que set to download over night and you are almost at a drives max limit.

Plus unplugging and moving the data to another console is a seamless plug-and-play experience, with no confuffing about with settings and other garbage.

Plus Microsoft allows you to have saves and such on the external drive, Sony does not.

Microsoft also has double the HDD size support of Sony. (16 Terabytes vs Sony's 8 Terabytes.)
And Microsoft will allow for up to 3x external Hard Drives. (Not sure how many Sony will let you have.)

Sata 2 vs USB 3.0 is irrellevent for transfer rates.
Mechanical drives generally won't use all of the bandwidth on either bus, unless it's a burst-transfer, which might last a second or so on the rare occasion.

Latency is actually better on Sata 2, so should help when it comes to lots of random reads and writes and Sata generally requires less CPU time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I'm shocked this wasn't always the case. Seems like something that both should have had day one or very close to day one.

I have a 1.5TB so I'm alright for now. But I'll definitely get a 2TB external probably at the end of the year. That will do me for the gen.

Pemalite said:
aLkaLiNE said:

What is particularily elegant about external HDD support on X1? Genuinely asking, I know that data loads faster via USB3.0 Bus than a Sata 2 bus. Do you think that Sony might artificially restrict this somehow?

On the Xbox On you can restrict all data to a single drive.
Or you can set a drive as a primary drive and when that is full, the console automagically starts using the next drive and will thus report all storage as a single storage amount. - Great if you have a ton of Downloads in Que set to download over night and you are almost at a drives max limit.

Plus unplugging and moving the data to another console is a seamless plug-and-play experience, with no confuffing about with settings and other garbage.

Plus Microsoft allows you to have saves and such on the external drive, Sony does not.

Microsoft also has double the HDD size support of Sony. (16 Terabytes vs Sony's 8 Terabytes.)
And Microsoft will allow for up to 3x external Hard Drives. (Not sure how many Sony will let you have.)

Sata 2 vs USB 3.0 is irrellevent for transfer rates.
Mechanical drives generally won't use all of the bandwidth on either bus, unless it's a burst-transfer, which might last a second or so on the rare occasion.

Latency is actually better on Sata 2, so should help when it comes to lots of random reads and writes and Sata generally requires less CPU time.

I can't really see most of these being issues for people, for instance a 16tb costs $400+ and is kind of a moot point if you can't partition that drive for other storage uses as well (haven't heard of anyone taking up 16tb of storage on their console yet but I'm sure they exist).

Saves aren't an issue because you can actually back them up to a external drive. Mine are stored on my thumb drive for instance. They just don't support edternal HDD yet but this is all in beta so who knows.

It does sound like the way account information can be moved on the external drive for x1 seems elegant though. I hope it's like that on PS

It's all thanks to my recent thread.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=222079&page=1
You're welcome.

Around the Network

I just hope this allows us to take our games from one console to another. That will help a lot when upgrading to more advanced PS4 models and eventually PS5. It would also make it a lot easier to show of PSVR.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

good things will happen to people who buy a small (500gb or so) solid state use it as internal, speed up that operating system and stuff and then put all the games on the external.

Might do this myself lol

Twitter @CyberMalistix

I got a 4TB external on my Xbox One S. It was a simple process. I hope PS4 has a simple process.

bunchanumbers said:
I got a 4TB external on my Xbox One S. It was a simple process. I hope PS4 has a simple process.

I cant imagine it it being anything but simple.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."