By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 update 4.50 adds PS4 Pro boost mode, improves gameplay without patch

I don't understand why Sony didn't talk about this before releasing the Pro, it makes no sense.

This is huge, Bloodborne at locked 30fps now? people were screaming for this and Sony kept silent.

Around the Network
Valdath said:
I don't understand why Sony didn't talk about this before releasing the Pro, it makes no sense.

This is huge, Bloodborne at locked 30fps now? people were screaming for this and Sony kept silent.

I imagine because it wasn't in the cards when the Pro launched. They probably are adding this in response to owner feedback.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

setsunatenshi said:

The only thing I feel you're forgetting is that it's pretty much evident the new console whenever it will arrive will play PS4 games natively. So there's no real reason to delay too much the new gen if they can make a smooth transition to it.

Wouldn't be surprised if at the beggining all PS4 games will run on PS5, but perhaps new PS5 games will not run on PS4, maybe running on PS4 pro at lower settings. No reason why indie games won't simply run on both PS4 and PS5 using a similar architecture.

What better way to open a new gen, than to say all your previous games are available on the new console day 1.

Waiting until 2020 is possible, but to me seems a bit excessive

Oh I fully expect the PS5 to play the PS4 games. Hell, I pretty much expect the PS4 to play "PS5" games.... and for most of the life of the PS5. I said it in another thread, or maybe this one. The PS5 will be the 4k native console, the PS4 pro will drop to the 1080p console with a few games employing checkerboard rendering and the PS4s will drop to being a 720p console. They could even strip some OS features from the PS4/PS4pro to free up some ram to better suit it for its forward compatibility with the PS5.

But all that, doesn't actually mak a case for the PS5 coming sooner. If anything that makes it come later. Thing is, PS5 coming whenevr it comes is hinged on whenver 7nm processors become available. By all current indications thats going to be around 2019. That basically means that even if sony wanted they could release a new console before 2019. 

And once those 7nm chips arrive in 2019, sonys PS5 development pipeline wouldn't be ready to go day and date, it still takes a little time to iron out a custom chip for a console. And of course to iron out the kinks in manufacturing and testing said custom chip. Simply put, 2020 isn't just a likely time of release based on nessecity and whats possible, its also a best case scenario estimation. In truth it could even be later.

Look at it this way, if we get 7nm chips from AMD in 2018 (next year) then there is no reason why we couldn't get a PS5 in 2019. If we get them instead in 2019, then the soonest the PS5 will release will be in 2020.

Normchacho said:
Valdath said:

I imagine because it wasn't in the cards when the Pro launched. They probably are adding this in response to owner feedback.

or they were still testing it.

Valdath said:

Could be multiple reasons

Perhaps No Man's Sky showed them that it's better not to raise expectations until they were sure it could work reasonably well. It still has the disclaimer things could go wrong. Perhaps right before release boost mode was still in a much more crash prone state. It all depends on what assumptions games made from the hardware, for example if a GPU thread always assumed the CPU is already done with the next preparations and thus didn't bother to check or wait, the game might crash when the gpu is suddenly disproportionately faster than the CPU. I don't know what boost mode does, but I guess it at least adds some fail safe checks in the api calls. I doubt it's as simple as letting the console run faster unchecked.

Or maybe Sony expected developers to put more effort in pro patches, improving things beyond running slightly faster like 60fps or improved shadows, enhanced level of detail, draw distance, and ofcourse resolution. Promising boost mode from the start would not have seen as exciting as pro patches for older games with more visible enhancements. Here's the pro for $400, now your avg 28fps game will run at 30fps. Not so great a sales pitch.

Around the Network

Can someone ask for Earth Defense Force in this thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340529&page=86

Just watched 3d copy of Prometheus on bluray via PSVR, a subtle but massively welcomed feature for this 4.5 update.
Breathes new life into 3d blu-ray, it really does. MILES better than a standard 3D tv.

Knitemare said:
Mar1217 said:
'' Please turn it off when unexpected action occurs during game play.”

Does that mean the PS4 Pro could explose if you don't turn it off ?!

It would eat your firstborn if you dont turn it off in time.

Harsh, but just.    

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

When are they releasing this update? I'm more interested in the external hdd feature.

darkrulier said:
When are they releasing this update? I'm more interested in the external hdd feature.

Based on previous Firmware updates it should be around 1 month from the start of the Beta, so early March.