By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How many units does Xbox One need to sell to be considered a success?

Answer, why dontcha?

30 million 38 7.84%

40 million 63 12.99%

50 million 185 38.14%

60 million 86 17.73%

70 million 29 5.98%

80 million 50 10.31%

PS2 sales + 1 34 7.01%

Total:485

- Less than 30m is a disaster.
- Less than 40m is bad.
- Between 40m - 45m is the minimum that a system should sell.
- Between 46m - 55m is a small success.
- More than 56m is a real success.
- More than 70m is a really impressive and unquestionable success.

My vote went to 40 millions because with that reveal, reaching that far is a success.

Around the Network

when it outsells the competition 2:1

so already, since it's competition is wiiu.

If MS was making a profit with Xbox, then it wouldn't matter how many units it sold. They got too caught up with trying to keep up with Sony's numbers by any means necessary and saw it eating into their overall revenue.

miqdadi said:
50M is Ok, but we need to know from the company's perspectives if It's Ok
Companies some time look at the successor to achieve at least the same numbers the old one managed, if this is the case then 90M is what they are hoping for

Their original aspirations were somewhere around 200 million. 

EDIT: Looks like BraLoD beat me to it, ha. 

50M is already a more than decent success for the second ranking console of any gen.
With those sales, and the typical high attach rate of home consoles, it can be not only a success for brand image and awareness, but also for profits

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

The Xbox One success is determined by the number of zombie headshots in COD between the time of 1:00 am to 5:30 am Sunday morning in the United States pacific standard time.

Mr Puggsly said:
Farsala said:
Somewhere between N64 and SNES seems good. At current rate of the Home Console market though, one would probably want it to sell more. MS sounds ready to give up on HW, and just focus on services.

Scorpio is coming this year, tablets are apparently doing well, Surface phones, and Hololens. At the very least its evident MS still has an interest in hardware.

MS devices also help push MS services. I don't think MS wants to exist solely as a service and software provider so they keep doing hardware.

They may not have a choice if all home consoles, except the market leader drop below 20m. I personally think/hope that the home console market is fine, but if current trends and mobile domination becomes stronger, then we may be SoL.

At this point I feel as though the success of the XB1 is measured solely by the ability to not lose much ground in territories where it is doing well. So not necessarily a hard value total number of units but staying within a certain percentage of marketshare in the US and UK.

Enough to recover all research and development costs, the hardware production costs, and a hefty return on the investment. Whatever number that is.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Its already a success. It survived Mattrick.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if it sold around 50m. Nintendo would kill for their home consoles to sell 50m units. Its something N64, GCN, and Wii U never did.