By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen starts on March 3

???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542
Conina said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Can your PS4 play games everywhere you want without the need of a TV? No? Hmm, that's so last-gen!

In combination with a Vita and a good internet connection... yes. 

So your answer is... no. I didn't know you had access to free wireless internet everywhere you go btw. Oh that's right, most places don't have that. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

I can play PSVita without needing a TV but can also mirror it on a TV and could do that with PSP as well. So are they 9th and 10th gen?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Technology wise its barely current gen.
Next gen? nope nintendo is almost current gen.

DonFerrari said:

New Generations are brought because the older one wasn't capable of going forward SW wise, being it needs more power to advance. So if you label a console as 9th gen but it isn't capable of playing 8th gen level game then it's quite strange.

Sorry for budding in...

Nintendo isn't driven by how powerful their consoles are and haven't been for the past couple console cycles, why would this all of a sudden change? Why now do their consoles have to be a certain power in order to be labeled as a next gen console? Nintendo is a creative company in that their philosophy is they find new ways to make gaming better, not just more powerful. Nintendo thinks that the Switch is the right step toward producing a brand new system with new ways of playing games. If this isn't the definition of a new generation and people are just getting stuck with the idea that power is the deciding factor then we have a divide of opinions which we can't do anything about.

Definition of generation is getting pretty complicated now because technological divergence at the home console level is diverging, what with Switch really aiming to be at the spec level of PS4/Xb one, or maybe not even that if 3rd parties are saying that 8th gen AAA titles on PS4/Xb one will struggle on Switch and many may not appear on Switch.

But as far as Nintendo is concerned, of course Switch is the 9th gen, because it is not simply a WiiU+. So unless there is some consensus that Wii U was gen 7.5 (basically Michael Pachter's oft predicted Wii HD) then Switch can't be called 8th gen from a Nintendo perspective.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

It's the 3rd gen

Just trying to switch things up a bit :(

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I'm leaning towards yes. Looking at recent Scorpio rumors, I think it's going to be enough of a departure from Xbox One that it classifies as a new console. If true, then it's pretty much gen 9 with Switch and Scorpio this year, and PS5 on the horizon.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

A_C_E said:
DonFerrari said:

New Generations are brought because the older one wasn't capable of going forward SW wise, being it needs more power to advance. So if you label a console as 9th gen but it isn't capable of playing 8th gen level game then it's quite strange.

Sorry for budding in...

Nintendo isn't driven by how powerful their consoles are and haven't been for the past couple console cycles, why would this all of a sudden change? Why now do their consoles have to be a certain power in order to be labeled as a next gen console? Nintendo is a creative company in that their philosophy is they find new ways to make gaming better, not just more powerful. Nintendo thinks that the Switch is the right step toward producing a brand new system with new ways of playing games. If this isn't the definition of a new generation and people are just getting stuck with the idea that power is the deciding factor then we have a divide of opinions which we can't do anything about.

No problem on you butting in. But Nintendo being "creative" and not adhering to technological advancement and if they decide to release a console every 2 years won't make gen count move with them.

What they are releasing is totally possible of being done on gen 8 so they making this system haven't unleashed a new gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I guess the bar for 9th gen starts laying on the floor.

If we go with generation as a significant technological leap, then it obviously isn't.