By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen starts on March 3

???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542

Who cares? The whole concept of "generations" is completely arbitrary! Why are the Atari 2600 and 5200 part of the same generation? Reasons. What generation is the Gameboy a part of since it was Nintendo's main handheld over a time when the NES, SNES and N64 were Nintendo's mainline home consoles? Whatever one is convenient for the argument you're making of course!

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Green098 said:

Well in factual terms, console generations are not opinions you can pick and choose where they stand. The Switch is a successor to the Wii U and 3DS which were 8th gen Home and Handheld consoles so therefore in a factual context the Switch is 9th gen.

The Atari 5200 was the successor to the 2600, but they're both considered second generation consoles. If the Switch ends up primarily competing against eighth gen consoles, I guess there's an argument to be made that it's also eighth gen.

I guess, but there is the thing about Xbox Scorpio being 9th gen and if it is I'm guessing that will be the major thing kickstarting the 9th generation causing Sony to release the PS5 in order to compete. (If Scorpio succeeds enough that is for Sony to do so)

It's Nintendo's next gen console.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Well, it will be some boring years until the PS5 starts the 10th Gen...

BraLoD said:
Nope.
Won't even run the AAA 8th gen games while being in competition with 8th gen devices.

There really no reason to even discuss it.

Unless Nintendo accepts it's a handheld, than yes, it's a new gen for handhelds.
Still not a 9th gen console, tho.

I don't think power has much of anything to do with it though. If it did why was the Wii 7th gen when it wasn't that much more powerful than the Gamecube. I don't think console generations are opinions we can class ourselves. It's the successor to an 8th gen home and handheld console so technically in factual terms it is a 9th generation piece of hardware.

Around the Network

I don't actually care. It's an artificial concept, anyway. Hardware is no longer progressing by huge leaps that clearly define transition points. There is no need to worry about generations unless that happens.

I think Nintendo at this point is in its own category with the Switch being a hybrid handheld / home console.

Wouldn't it be Ninten's 7th gen console...? It probably doesn't really matter anyways.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Wii U launched in 2012, Switch (despite the somewhat small power improvement) launches in 2017, that to me looks like the usual gap between two generations, at least for Nintendo's standards...

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:
nope, a gen start when sony says so

Saturn, Dreamcast and XBOX 360 disagrees with it

Well... The first two were lukewarm at best and X360 really started selling good after PS3 launched =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."