By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen starts on March 3

???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542
A_C_E said:

Your original arguement was the Master System was part of the 4th gen despite it being a new console. You used this view to compare it to Nintendo's new console (Switch) when in fact the Master System wasn't a new console. The Master System was known as the MK-III (an upgrade to the SG-2000 in Japan) that was then rebranded as the Master System and launched world wide 3 months later after it launched as the MK-III in Japan, hence why it was still part of the 4th generation. It all adds up perfectly and unfortunately it completely undermines your arguement that the Switch and Master System situations are the same because the Switch is not a rebranding of a 3 month old console; the Switch is not releasing one year after the Wii U.

My logic has not changed at all so where is the cognitive dissonance taking place? First you say I'm offering up cognitive bias - which I'm clearly not considering the facts that I have presented and how I've stuck by them - now it's on to cognitive dissonance. Display to me where I have been inconsistant in my arguement, please.

The Switch hasn't even released yet. The average cycle is 5 years and we are already into the fourth year for PS4 and Xbox One, fifth year for the generation. The PS4 will still sell quite well after the PS5 releases since its sales replicate that of the PS2 which sold incredible amounts after the launch of the 7 generation. It's not unprecedented that Sony and MS will release successors in the next 3 years.

You don't know what "rebrand" means if you're willing to use it so liberally ... 

FYI the Master System belongs in the 3rd generation. The Master System is not at all an upgrade like the PS4 Pro, it's an ENTIRELY new system! (Even the library shows it.) 

The name does not matter, what matters is what software the hardware can run to differentiate platforms. Sony could name the "PS2" as "PS1.1" and nobody would bat an eye whether or not it's their next gen console ... 

There, I've disproven your predisposition that the Master System is just an "upgrade" when Sega goes to great lengths to make specific games for the new platform and the hardware is also different too ... 

@Bold There's also no defined lengths either in a generation when we take a look at 7th gen. Highly unlikely that Sony and Microsoft are thinking of a new generation when their content with doing mid gen upgrades. Generations are also industry defined so Nintendo releasing a new system does not signal that the entire industry is shifting their software output for new hardware cycle ...

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

You don't know what "rebrand" means if you're willing to use it so liberally ... 

FYI the Master System belongs in the 3rd generation. The Master System is not at all an upgrade like the PS4 Pro, it's an ENTIRELY new system! (Even the library shows it.) 

The name does not matter, what matters is what software the hardware can run to differentiate platforms. Sony could name the "PS2" as "PS1.1" and nobody would bat an eye whether or not it's their next gen console ... 

There, I've disproven your predisposition that the Master System is just an "upgrade" when Sega goes to great lengths to make specific games for the new platform and the hardware is also different too ... 

@Bold There's also no defined lengths either in a generation when we take a look at 7th gen. Highly unlikely that Sony and Microsoft are thinking of a new generation when their content with doing mid gen upgrades. Generations are also industry defined so Nintendo releasing a new system does not signal that the entire industry is shifting their software output for new hardware cycle ...

The Master System belongs to the 3rd generation, correct, I don't know why I kept saying 4th lol.

When you rebrand a product it is to change the corporate image like what Sega did renaming and remodeling the Mark III.

The name does not matter, correct.

You haven't disproven my predisposition since my predisposition is not reliant on the name given to the Master System. My predisposition lies in the events that lead up to the release of the Master System and how/why it is still considered to be a 3rd generation console and how this situation differs from the Switch. What I stated about the Master System was factual wether you want to call it a new console or an upgrade (call it what you want), the reason's for why it was in the 3rd generation (not 4th, lol) has been my arguement. I'm calling it an upgrade simply because that's how I would define it, but if you would like me to just simply call it a new system then fine, it's a new system, this holds no weight on my side of the arguement. But it still released ONE year after the SG-2000 as the Mark III until being rebranded world wide. The Switch is not being rebranded and is releasing over 6 years after the 8th gen started, over 4 years since Wii U released. These are not the same things no matter how many great lengths Sega went to make specific games for the Master System.

If Sony went to great lengths to make specific games on the PS4 Pro it would still be part of the 8th generation, just like the Master System was and is part of the 3rd generation. This pretty much closes the arguement on the software front I'm sure we can agree to that.

7th generation was a long gen for sure but there are reason's for that which I'm sure we both know. Anyways, PS4 sales are still keeping up with PS2 sales. PS4 Pro is a mid-term launch like you said but Sony only cares about revenue/profit and if PS4 sales are in line with the PS2 even after Sony has released the PS4 Pro then I don't the release schedule being much different than that of the PS2. Because in the end it's sales and profit that matter, not the length of the generation in Sony's eyes. Take into consideration that I'm not saying PS4 will be discontinued by 2020. You have to remember that PS4 will likely have a very healthy life years into the PS5's cycle just as the PS2 did, maybe not as healthy as PS2 though. Sony knows this and most likely won't hesitate to lauch the PS5 by 2019 or 2020.

9th gen in spirit, but closer to 7th gen in practice.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It´s Nintendo next gen system. But they are in a league of their own, for the best and for the worst.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

If people did consider the switch to be 9th gen, then why isn't the ps4 pro?

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
areason said:
If people did consider the switch to be 9th gen, then why isn't the ps4 pro?

Because it's obvious and as clear as daylight. It's in the name. PS4 Pro. It's a PS4. It runs PS4 games.

The Nintendo Switch is a new console with new games that can't be played on 8th gen hardware (regardless of whether some 8th gen consoles would supposedly be powerful enough to).

They can't be played because Nintendo won't let them release on other consoles, not because of hardware limitations. 

Just because a console is new doesn't mean it's part of a new generation of hardware.