By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The many "mistakes" of the Nintendo Switch" article.

Alkibiádēs said:
Hynad said:

You don't want to discuss anything either. You want people to rally behind you to shit on the guy who wrote that thing.

I merely provided facts to his arguments.

- He hasn't played Zelda, but he claims it will be archaic.

- He hasn't played Arms, but he claims it's just "motion control nonsense" despite the fact that it supports traditional controllers as well.

- He claims Nintendo is creating artificial scarcity despite the fact that Nintendo is shipping similar numbers compared to the PS4 launch. You can't argue with numbers.

- He says there is a lack of third party support (which is true), but he claims Ubisoft is the most notable example of this lack of support, which is bollocks. Steep, Rayman Legends and Just Dance 2017 might not be much, but it's still better than an HD port of a 26-year old game that is sold at $40 (Capcom). Or Level-5 who weren't even present at the conference despite having seen huge success on the 3DS. That's a notable absence.

- Claims a bunch of things about the online platform and the virtual console that are unconfirmed. He's making assumptions. How do we know the service is too expensive when we don't even know how much it will cost or everything it will offer...

And then people point out that you left his valid points out, and you dimiss them and complain about them. You don't want to discuss anything.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Hynad said:

The Canadian price is in line with the exchange rate. I didn't check the other regions.

As far as googling goes. 300 dollars = 400 AUD.

It also says that 300 dollars = 242 british pounds.

Nintendo did mention that people had to check with their retailers for European prices. Could it be that's there's something in place there that prevent them from fixing a certain price? I really don't know. But I thought it was peculiar that they wouldn't give a definite European price during their presentation.

Yeah, I'm not going to give that clickbaiter my traffic.  I'd ask for an archive of it but I don't know if that's allowed here.

Ka-pi96 said:
Hynad said:

Nintendo did mention that people had to check with their retailers for European prices. Could it be that's there's something in place there that prevent them from fixing a certain price? I really don't know. But I thought it was peculiar that they wouldn't give a definite European price during their presentation.

VAT. It varies quite a bit across Europe. IIRC the same is true with tax in the US but I think you guys are used to prices before tax. Us Europeans would be pissed/confused if Nintendo gave a pre-tax price and then when we went to the store and see it's a fair chunk higher than that.

That's something I liked when I went to Europe. Prices on the tags are what you pay for at the counter.  Where I'm from, there's roughly 15% taxes in place. But it's not included on the price tag. So you always have to calculate it when you to your shopping. What's worse, for things like grocery, some product are taxable, while others aren't, making it hard to keep track. I really don't know why they don't include the taxes on the tags, to be honest and I think it's stupid that they don't. It's not like our taxes fluctuate all the time.

Ka-pi96 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

He claimed everything I put in my summary, so why is it dodgy? 

How can you even agree despite the fact he's factually wrong on many things? 

You want to know why it's dodgy? Fair enough...

1. You call him out for his joke rather than what he actually claims is a concern about Zelda. The long development cycle is a legitimate concern, and as for it not offering anything that hasn't been done before... well I haven't paid attention to anything Zelda so can't comment on that.

What 3D Zelda game didn't have a long development cycle? Only Majora's Mask had a short one. This is normal for Zelda, no reason to be concerned. Twilight Princess released in November 2006 and Skyward Sword in November 2011. That's almost as long as the time gap between Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword. 

2. Not counting Splatoon 2 as a big first party title is a mistake on the author's part, fair enough. Although MK8 Deluxe is a port so I wouldn't count that either. As for Mario Odyssee being too far away from launch, I'd completely agree with that. There is a long wait between the big 1st party titles, and if I were to narrow it down to big 1st party titles that I actually care about that wait is even longer.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will sell a lot, so it counts. It doesn't matter if it is a port, it will be one of Nintendo's bigger releases this year. And it has quite a bit of extra content as well. He also discounts Arms, even though he doesn't know how big the game will be. He's assuming it will be shallow and not worth the price. Nintendo hasn't unveiled everything to know about the game yet... How about you wait before you assume things? Don't judge a book by its cover. The same was said about Splatoon when it got announced and look how that turned out. He also ignores Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which are all slated for 2017. 

3. The majority of the "motion control nonsense" went to 1,2 Switch rather than Arms. So by failing to mention the game that's taking the majority of the criticism on that front that's a dodgy point at best.

No it went to both of them. Here's the exact quote:  "Instead of having a multitude of console-quality games on the go, Nintendo is to release 1-2-Switch and Arms, at launch and shortly after. These can only be described as motion-control nonsense, and indicate that the company has learnt nothing from its forays into the party game/casual genre last generation".

I agree that 1-2 Switch will likely be a shallow party game, my complaint was about Arms being treated in the exact same way as that game. 1-2 Switch should have been a pack-in game for free.

4. Purely speculation, but it might be. We won't really know on this one until it releases and we actually see what both the sales and stock levels are like though.

No, the numbers come from Nintendo themselves. 

5. Third party faith is lacking! Sure there's probably better examples than Ubisoft, but even with Ubisoft where are the big games? Why no port for recent big Ubi titles such as The Division or Watch Dogs 2? Why no announcment of an Assassin's Creed game for Switch yet?

I never said third party support wasn't lacking. I was complaining about his lack of knowledge by claiming Ubisoft is the most notable example. 

6. The online platform does seem ridiculous. We may not know everything about it yet, but who's fault is that? This close to realise Nintendo already should have cleared everything up about that. It's definitely a fair point of criticism.

I adress that in the OP. He still assumes things which may or may not be correct.

7. Again, this is on Nintendo for not revealing stuff. Fair to criticise and fair to speculate on unless Nintendo actually announce something.

It's not fair the assume things and make them come across as facts actually, certainly not for a "journalist". 

8. There's a LOT more reasons he gives for saying the Switch isn't ready than just "no trophies". And I've got to say I agree with all of them.

He claims just 4 things actually: online functionality isn't built into the console (which is an assumption), lack of virtual console (which is another assumption), lack of Netflix (who cares?) and lack of trophies (again, who cares?). If a lack of trophies means that a console isn't ready then Nintendo has never had a console that was ready as they never had trophies. 

It's a summary, it's not meant to be exhaustive, I provided the link for that. :) 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Hynad said:

VAT. It varies quite a bit across Europe. IIRC the same is true with tax in the US but I think you guys are used to prices before tax. Us Europeans would be pissed/confused if Nintendo gave a pre-tax price and then when we went to the store and see it's a fair chunk higher than that.

Yeah, tax in the US can vary between states, counties, and cities, so you can have different tax rates all within normal driving distance.  It would be impossible to advertise except on the local level and then it would be a pain.  That being said, the amounts themselves usually differ very little so it's not a big deal.  

Ka-pi96 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

1. Fair enough. I wouldn't know.

2. I have no doubt MK8 will sell a lot, but so what? Pretty sure the author was writing an article about why he's not convinced about getting a Switch rather than why he thinks it will flop sales wise.

He's talking about big first party games, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one of those. Besides, he admits he didn't own a Wii U, so Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would be a brand new game for him, with loads of content. 

3. Because criticism of ice cube controllers and milking cows is applicable to arms? No, the majority of that criticism definitely went to 1, 2 Switch which you didn't even see fit to mention in your OP.

1-2 Switch doesn't have ice cube controllers either, that was part of the conference presentation, not the actual game. It has something similar with counting how many dices are in the joy-con, but that's not what he said. He makes no distinction between Arms and 1-2 Switch in that quote I gave you, he finds them equally bad, despite not having played either. Besides, Arms also makes use of the HD rumble, just like 1-2 Switch. 

4. Nintendo have announced how many preorders were available? I must have missed that... They say they are shipping 2m in the first month, but the scarcity talk is based on preorders at the moment and for all we know they only allowed retailers a tiny fraction of that amount for preorders just to make it seem more in demand. Like I said, we won't know for sure until it actually releases and we get sales/stock figures so until then saying that Nintendo aren't making it artifically scarce is just as speculative as saying they are.

2 million for launch with 1 million in reserve to fill in the stock where needed. 

5. Ubisoft wasn't used as the most notable example of 3rd party support not having faith though. They were used as the most notable example of a company that used to be 100% behind Nintendo that now doesn't seem that way anymore. Wii U not only had big releases like AC and Watch Dogs but also had 3rd party exclusives from Ubisoft (1 at launch no less), so far there is no evidence to suggest their Switch support will be as strong. Maybe it will, but as for now...

Level-5 or Capcom are much more notable examples of that, like I said in my OP.

6.  You may mention something like that in the OP but you don't address it. We should not just sit patiently until Nintendo reveal things bit by bit. If people think it sounds rubbish they should say something. For one thing that could even lead to Nintendo making it better and if they don't... well then that criticism wasn't really undeserved.

I said that Nintendo deserves criticism for the poor way of communication and the lack of information. I do adress it. 

7. He actually says "With no concrete information on whether Virtual Console titles will be available at launch or in the near future, it’s unlikely that these features will be available any time soon." which people would know if you didn't quote out of context...
That's not presenting things as fact, and since we don't have anything to suggest the opposite I'd say is completely fair to assume.

Later he also claims this: "there are no trophies or virtual console titles". That sounds an awful lot like a factual statement, doesn't it?

8. For the assumptions, if Nintendo didn't want people to assume the worst then they should have cleared these up as soon as people mentioned them as concerns. Them not clearing them up just makes it seem even more likely and they don't want to admit the bad points of their system. Oh and you forgot "the games aren’t ready" and "the launch titles are abysmal". Subjective, sure but it is an opinion article and well for many people those things are true.

He hasn't played the launch-games, so he can't possibly know that they're abysmal. The games are ready, Nintendo is just spreading them throughout the year, so there are no droughts and the games don't cannibalize each other's sales. Do you really think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't already finished? What's the point of releasing it alongside The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild though... Nintendo even said Super Mario Odyssey is mostly finished when it comes to development. So no, it's not true. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

I request you change the thread title from "the Nintendo Switch article " to "this random Nintendo Switch article that I can't stand being on the internet without me showing everyone how wrong this author's opinion is".

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

pokoko said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Spamming is against the rules. I provided a link to the article, so I did post what the article said. Thus your post was useless, obnoxious and in a hostile tone. 

He didn't post any valid points, so I can't post them to begin with. 

What about:

"The Use of a Mobile App for Online Functionality is Counter-Intuitive"

or

"We Still Have No Concrete Information About Much Sought-After Features"

You don't think those are valid?  Really?

Honestly, you're every bit as untrustworthy with the way you twist some things and omit others.

We don't know enough about the mobile app to really judge at this point. Yes, it's unexpected that it's through a smart phone app, but let's wait for more details about functionality and price before judging it. It could turn out to be a perfectly decent online service. 

His only valid point, as far as I'm concerned, is the lack of information about some of the console's features, with online functionality being the most glaring example. 

Nintendo's communication style has always left something to be desired.