By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fewer Games is Never a Good Thing

Tagged games:

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

I think PSP showed there is a strong potential market for console experiences on the go.

Grand Theft Auto, Midnight Club, Gran Turismo, God of War, Star Wars Battlefront/Force Unleashed, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, FIFA, Madden, etc. were all pretty successful on PSP.

I hope Skyrim, FIFA & NBA 2K sell well on Switch and show once again that there is a market for console style games on the go. Switch seems to be getting a solid lineup of Japanese, indie & kid/family software, if it can get PSP level of western support than that would give it a really well rounded software library.

PSP was years ago. Clearly in the recent years people lost interest in those types of games on the go. If they still cared Vita would have done much better and to a lesser extent 3DS woudl have too.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say those games will not do to hot, I wanna be wrong, but nothing recently has shown be I am.

Not really, neither Vita nor 3DS had much support from western console-style games, at least not nearly at the level that PSP had.

Vita sales don't support your argument because Vita missed out on a ton of franchises that made PSP successful. Grand Theft Auto was the biggest franchise on PSP in the West and Monster Hunter was the biggest in Japan and Vita recieved neither of them. Other big games on PSP that skipped Vita were Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, God of War, Star Wars, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy.

That's the equivalent of a Nintendo platform not having Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Super Mario & Zelda.

Some of these console experiences on Vita did alright, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed but their impact was always going to be limited without the other big games to support them.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Generically, I can say content is king. But as long as Nintendo does what Nintendo, their home consoles will be successful from my standpoint without having to take the top spot. It's just we always have the few from every camp that shrugs the bad new for deniable reasons. I'm not a graphics whole but when given the choice, I'd pick the game for the platform that's graphically superior for the most part. So as long as a Nintendo console has a very strong line of exclusive (and this is normally the case), things should be good. And I'm under the impression that Nintendo accounts for this given the fact that both the PS4 and One are more powerful consoles.

bdbdbd said:

MTZehvor said:

That's true, and you'll notice that in nearly every single review of that online shooter, the majority of the complaints are directed at how the online was handled. No voice chat, no local co op, restricted to two maps at any given time, etc. To this day Nintendo consistently fumbles some of the easiest things to nail with online gameplay, with perhaps the most recent notable example being having to use a phone app to voice chat on Switch.

There aren't that many maps in Splatoon anyway, so the lack of options isn't that big of a deal.

The app on your mobile is absolutely brilliant! You can chat with your friends cross-game if you prefer, but apparently you may not even need to be playing at all to be in touch with your friends or you do not need stop chatting if you need to leave the game or the house. This app might especially be great if you have kids.

Splatoon has 16 maps, only four fewer than Halo 5. Only being able to play on two maps, over and over again, during an extended play session is a pretty big deal.

And no, the app is an awful idea. Not only can you already talk to your friends cross game on both PS4 and XBO, but there are already a myriad of phone apps designed to let you continue talking to your friends if you have to leave the phone or house (Discord being most prominent amongst them). Having a phone app as an optional feature on top of standard console chat might have been a neat idea, but as it stands having to fiddle with both a smart phone and your console just to talk in game is needlessly cumbersome.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

PSP was years ago. Clearly in the recent years people lost interest in those types of games on the go. If they still cared Vita would have done much better and to a lesser extent 3DS woudl have too.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say those games will not do to hot, I wanna be wrong, but nothing recently has shown be I am.

Not really, neither Vita nor 3DS had much support from western console-style games, at least not nearly at the level that PSP had.

Vita sales don't support your argument because Vita missed out on a ton of franchises that made PSP successful. Grand Theft Auto was the biggest franchise on PSP in the West and Monster Hunter was the biggest in Japan and Vita recieved neither of them. Other big games on PSP that skipped Vita were Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, God of War, Star Wars, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy.

That's the equivalent of a Nintendo platform not having Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Super Mario & Zelda.

Some of these console experiences on Vita did alright, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed but their impact was always going to be limited without the other big games to support them.

it didnt get those games because Vita didnt really sell that well from the start, If people were interested more more Vitas would habe been bought. MH moved to 3ds but that didnt exactly catapult it into big numbers, its still gonna end up selling less than DS, PSP, and GBA and 3ds got at least half those games you mentioned.

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

it didnt get those games because Vita didnt really sell that well from the start, If people were interested more more Vitas would habe been bought. MH moved to 3ds but that didnt exactly catapult it into big numbers, its still gonna end up selling less than DS, PSP, and GBA and 3ds got at least half those games you mentioned.

So how does that change anything? Obviously if specific games are what cause a system to sell well then the successor not getting those games will result in lesser sales.

As for 3DS not doing big numbers in Japan, its the 3rd best selling gaming device in history over there. And barely any of those game are on 3DS.

Literally everything you just said was either wrong or besides the point.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Nogamez said:

If Switch only ever got Zelda I would genuinely be happy. Of course if PS4 only got Zelda I would be equally happy.  Aslong as someone somewhere keeps making top tier Zelda game I'm gonna buy them. 

And there you go.

So what are you trying to say here exactly? Im really confused? I shouldn't buy a switch even though it has the one game i really want to play?  For me personally I will buy ANY console that has a the rights to top tier AAA zelda games. Whether that is sony, Nintendo or whoever. What's the problem?

Nogamez said:
bigtakilla said:

And there you go.

So what are you trying to say here exactly? Im really confused? I shouldn't buy a switch even though it has the one game i really want to play?  For me personally I will buy ANY console that has a the rights to top tier AAA zelda games. Whether that is sony, Nintendo or whoever. What's the problem?

You replied to my first post. That's what I mean

Talking in absolutes is never a good thing.

Hunting Season is done...

MTZehvor said:
bdbdbd said:

There aren't that many maps in Splatoon anyway, so the lack of options isn't that big of a deal.

The app on your mobile is absolutely brilliant! You can chat with your friends cross-game if you prefer, but apparently you may not even need to be playing at all to be in touch with your friends or you do not need stop chatting if you need to leave the game or the house. This app might especially be great if you have kids.

Splatoon has 16 maps, only four fewer than Halo 5. Only being able to play on two maps, over and over again, during an extended play session is a pretty big deal.

And no, the app is an awful idea. Not only can you already talk to your friends cross game on both PS4 and XBO, but there are already a myriad of phone apps designed to let you continue talking to your friends if you have to leave the phone or house (Discord being most prominent amongst them). Having a phone app as an optional feature on top of standard console chat might have been a neat idea, but as it stands having to fiddle with both a smart phone and your console just to talk in game is needlessly cumbersome.

Haven't played Splatoon that much to know. I've played maybe four or six different maps. The controls are really killing the game.

Umm... I don't think you have to "fiddle", I expect the app being connected to your Nintendo account and friendslist all the time. Your console is connected to the same database/server as your phone. Keep in mind that the parental controls work on your smartphone via internet. Take your smartphone while driving home from work, set up a game to start in half an hour, send invite to your friends and they accept or decline it on their phones. Once you get home, you're already connected to your friends.

That's naturally just speculation, but it's something you could expect. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
MTZehvor said:

Haven't played Splatoon that much to know. I've played maybe four or six different maps. The controls are really killing the game.

Umm... I don't think you have to "fiddle", I expect the app being connected to your Nintendo account and friendslist all the time. Your console is connected to the same database/server as your phone. Keep in mind that the parental controls work on your smartphone via internet. Take your smartphone while driving home from work, set up a game to start in half an hour, send invite to your friends and they accept or decline it on their phones. Once you get home, you're already connected to your friends.

That's naturally just speculation, but it's something you could expect. 

All of that is fine for an optional app, but there's no reason why it should be entirely replacing just pulling up the chat on screen. And it will probably cross over into the realm of fiddling when you want to start chatting during a game with strangers. You'd likely have to wait until the game starts (or you get into a lobby), then stop looking at the TV to find the "chat" button on your phone, press that, and then turn your attention back to the TV. And if a particularly annoying person joins the chat and you want to mute them in game? You probably won't be able to do so without using your phone as well, which means looking down from the TV for a few seconds, finding the button on your phone, and hitting mute. This task can be accomplished by pressing a single button on PS4, XBO, and PC, and can easily be done in game without having to look away.

If the app were just an optional, different way to access chats, and could be used to set up games with people ahead of time, I'd likely be all for it. The point is making it the only way to access chat in game, and having to switch between looking at it and the TV during play sessions, is simply making a task more complicated than it needs to be. Of course, if there were ever a phrase that described Nintendo as of late, it would be "making things more complicated than they need to be."