By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is PSVR Sony's next Vita?

IS PSVR Sony's next Vita?

Nope. 110 44.53%

Probably. 118 47.77%

What!? The Vita was a huge success! 19 7.69%

Total:247
TallSilhouette said:
PSVR is an investment in things to come; cutting their teeth on the tech and design language while getting in on the ground floor of the medium. I see this incarnation as the trial run so that they can be experienced and prepared when mass market hardware is ready to do it right (better and cheaper). I don't think it's important to Sony that PSVR 1.0 is wildly popular and successful (how could it be at its price and requirements?) but that they build a foundation for when the technology matures. PSVR in the long run will be as successful or unsuccessful as VR itself.

Sony has stated many times that they think VR is the future of interactive entertainment. Obviously PSVR is just the beginning of a new level of gaming. I can't wait to see what they have in the pipeline. The current PSVR is still expensive for the mass market and has a few kinks to work out like the breakout box and subpar motion controls. But the concept is there for refining.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:
PSVR is an investment in things to come; cutting their teeth on the tech and design language while getting in on the ground floor of the medium. I see this incarnation as the trial run so that they can be experienced and prepared when mass market hardware is ready to do it right (better and cheaper). I don't think it's important to Sony that PSVR 1.0 is wildly popular and successful (how could it be at its price and requirements?) but that they build a foundation for when the technology matures. PSVR in the long run will be as successful or unsuccessful as VR itself.

This.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Kinect sold very well on the 360 and even broke world wide records. Now look at it. If developers don't jump on it and if the price doesn't come down, it's over imo. And no I am not just talking psvr, I'm talking about vr as a whole.

Snoopy said:

Kinect sold very well on the 360 and even broke world wide records. Now look at it. If developers don't jump on it and if the price doesn't come down, it's over imo. And no I am not just talking psvr, I'm talking about vr as a whole.

VR as a whole has life beyond gaming, but I don't see it as a main thing for the future of the gaming industry, at least not for the next 10 years.

Boobs

RolStoppable said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

Rol, your creeping me out. Please stop being so nice. Everybody misses the old Rol. Vivster is good, but can't take up all the slack. Since you set your eyes on that mod position the Chartz just hasn't been the same. I just want a return to normalcy around here.

I am still cool.

You evil genius.

Around the Network

People, people, people, it is a accessory, not a handheld. If anything, compare it to Sega Cd, 32X, PS Move.
Not a handheld.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

The bar for success for a peripheral vs a console (handheld or home) are wildly different, so they can't be compared. Anyone expecting to see the same level of support for PSVR as a Playstation console are/were out of their minds.

Teeqoz said:
The bar for success for a peripheral vs a console (handheld or home) are wildly different, so they can't be compared. Anyone expecting to see the same level of support for PSVR as a Playstation console are/were out of their minds.

Depends on the comaprison: if about sales, you are correct. If about support, then you have no argument.

The problem with add-ons is that they are never going to reach the mainstream. In order for VR to take the steps, it needs to be the focal point of a console. I think Nintendo or Sony (mainly Nintendo since they have not experimented with VR publicly before, have a clean slate of credibility in the VR arena, and have Switch as both a portable and television console) will have their next console be a VR console. The only way to get those sales is to make it affordable and, like motion controls with Wii, the full console experience.

On topic, PSVR was sent out to die from the beginning so yes, I see it as Sony's next Vita. Sure they wanted a success made of the product, but this is clearly an, "alpha" phase of VR. This will not be supported much longer unless there is a huge hit (and I mean HUGE) or drastic change in market trends. Neither of those seem feesible from this vantage point.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I don't think so. The Vita was sort of an island unto itself. PSVR is just one of many VR headsets. If dedicated VR takes off, PSVR is pretty much guaranteed to get continued software support, which should lead to sales down the line when the price drops.

Of course, if smartphone VR gets to the point where it can offer an equal or better experience than PSVR too quickly, the device is pretty much done for.

Yes, it's going to fail.

VR is just not good enough yet.

And even when it actually becomes ok in 10-20 years the market will be small, i would rather play on my TV, don't really see the appeal of playing with a headset attached to my face tbh.

Sony is wasting time, just like with the Pro, nobody ever really asked for it, games look and run fine on the first PS4.
Just let Microsoft flop with the expensive Scorpio and continue to sell slims like crazy, most games won't even use the power of scorpio when multiplats sell 2 or 3 times better on the PS4.