By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch preorders go live in Japan - and are gone in minutes

So if they have enough consoles, theyll sell their 400-500k, thats not thé matter

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

Lots of scalpers at work I presume.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

invetedlotus123 said:
Nautilus said:

And I somewhat agree.What actually irks me the wrong way is that when Nintendo releases this kind of press(or it is released for them, you got what I meant), everyone says "Oh, its Nintendo creating artificial demand again!".It can be, but its everytime.But when its PSVR, everyone says, "Oh no, its meeting Sonys expectations, so low sales are good".I mean, I know Im comparing an acessory to a console, but the double standard is tiring.

I think there`s more related to media than the companies actually. Nintendo these days brings lots of clicks, Switch will bring more clicks than PS VR, so it`s much more worth it make " WOW SWITCH IS GREAT!!!!!" kind of headline than for PS VR. And for PS VR defense it is a very niche product right now, it`s more about getting developers on board to catch support so when the future generations that are really meant to be mass market comes there will already be a good offer of software and devs will already have experience with, just like all the VR industry right now. 

But there were people all around the web, and also here, saying that the PSVR would move consoles and it would be the second comming of Jesus, and so on.And now that the launch has come and go and the sales, well, are really low, those same people are saying:"well, its selling as much as Sony wanted, and the stocks were low so they are good".I completely agree that VR is a niche product, as I had been saying all along, and it was fated to sell like this, but then Nintendo is treated as if they are making something wrong.I know its easier to be sensasionalist with them, and it gives more clicks, but dammit is it annoying.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEmO33srNk&feature=youtu.be

For people thinking Nintendo is creating artificial demand...

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

manuel said:
Lots of scalpers at work I presume.

scalper quota should be down from WiiU lvls though as many of them got burned with that

Around the Network
Aerys said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
How well did the 3DS do at launch? That'd be the best comparison since it also didn't launch during the holidays. I think that's what people are forgetting when they bring up Wii U also doing well at launch, but maybe holidays aren't really that big of a factor.

Holidays arent à big Factor , if you have 300-500k to sell, theyll disappear at your launch, no matter when is thé launch,  no Big deal really, thé first buyers are always thé craziest about new consoles ans it never tells anything about thé success of thé console  

Vita for exemple sold à bit less than 400k and was sold out , well it didnt flop as much as WiiU ( which started better though , you see thé irony and gow useless are launches to predict sales ? ) But still flopped

I don't get why they always make it a point to launch systems during the holidays then.

The Switch, I feel, is the last hope for consoles in Japan.

Nautilus said:
Aerys said:

You shoudlnt expect too much from DQ XI on Switch, its on 2 other différent platforms far more popular, itll have a week impact but not à Big long term impact 

After launch, some ports will help but not that much , port doesnt have thé same impact than à new game, same for Splatoon which wont have thé same impact than thé first One, thé only  Big One After launch to really change things is Mario , this game will bé the most important, thé One that will décide Switch fate. ( Éven though i highly doubt itll do really much more than WiiU in 3 years of life)

I need to remind you that the Switch is also portable, a type of product that resonates much better with the market, not to mention that the latest Dragon quests has been on Nintendo consoles(for the past 4 or 5 years), so the audience on the Nintendo system should be way higher.

Dragon Quest impact should be much bigger on Switch than you think.

It haq nothing to do about audiences dedicated to à console, such things doesnt existe, Monster hunter is the proof of that. Audience moves to thé console with thé game they want, and on this case they all have a 3DS to play thé handheld version, and à lot of thèm already took thé PS4 since DQ H games arrived There first, + DQ XI being developped for PS4, theyll have to choose between à home console version with next gen visuals or Switch version to take it outside, except they already have 3DS version for that.

Youll bé surprised if you think thé impact will give legs to thé console , at best itll last 2-3 weeks if it Comes out this summer, à little more if at Christmas of course 

Except it doesnt resonate that well with japaneses, far to resonate as much as réal handheld size devices liké 3DS/Vita ( à lot of critics about thé size on forums in Japan ), also it has paid online ( again à thing Japanese dislike on consoles , so Switch being thé first handheld to dare to have paid online ... Itll have an impact on thé sales potential of all online multiplayer games )3DS is still too much alive and will cannibalize à lot of sales of thé Switch ( its own Fire Emblem + Fire Emblem Warriors and many other games, actually more exclusives than Switch) and almost no third party support in term of big exclusives whereas thats what matters, so no this year is not looking goood for Switch in Japan, well see for next year if they have Big anouncements like an exclusive Monster hunter/Pokémon ( but I doubt it knowing how both studios Want to bé sûre thé console is popular before making an exclusive )

Einsam_Delphin said:
Aerys said:

Holidays arent à big Factor , if you have 300-500k to sell, theyll disappear at your launch, no matter when is thé launch,  no Big deal really, thé first buyers are always thé craziest about new consoles ans it never tells anything about thé success of thé console  

Vita for exemple sold à bit less than 400k and was sold out , well it didnt flop as much as WiiU ( which started better though , you see thé irony and gow useless are launches to predict sales ? ) But still flopped

I don't get why they always make it a point to launch systems during the holidays then.

They dont really, it dépends when the console is Ready, its always february/mars or holidays and its difficult to prove One is better than thé other

Kuksenkov said:
Good to read. Hopefully Japan will come through with their Switch Support, which is more likely as Japanese gamers are not as entitled as their Western "Artificial Demand!" Counterparts.

AYYYYY you are funny