By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I've changed my stance. Nintendo needs to go 3rd party

vivster said:
Renna Hazel said:
Nah. It's nice to have different options for hardware. Sony and MS offer too similar of a product. I'd rather have a PS4orXBO and Switch as opposed to a PS4 and XBO.

I'm pretty sure the choice of hardware massively increases if they go 3rd party.

How does going from 3 dedicated gaming machines to 2 dedicated gaming machines increase consumer choice in hardware?

Around the Network
fordy said:
mountaindewslave said:

yawn. ridiculous statements. the Switch is nothing like the Wii U, its a portable hybrid for gods sake.

This is coming from someone who is a huge Nintendo fan but DIDNT like the Wii U but has preordered the Switch.

all of the doomsayers are either deliberately being ignorant or just aren't very aware, as acting like the Switch is anything like the Wii U is ridiculous. a HYBRID console is nothing like a home console that simply has a tablet mode for walking around your kitchen. 

no offense, but a lot of you Nintendo doomsayers seem like people who didn't like the 3DS either, a system that is still doing very well and sold out over the holidays. 

And its irrelevant if you're a Nintendo fan, it doesn't magically make your opinion any more important than someone who isn't a Nintendo fan, simply because there's a bit of parallel between what you claim to like and your predictions.

I also find it hilarious though that you criticize the the price of the Switch (and presumably the accessories)- that's sort of the point, Nintendo almost always makes profit from simply selling their systems or accessories. The concept that they should go third party when they've made loads of money from selling their own gear for years is just absurd. 

Some of you seem to think its impressive to be negative about a company you like. Its not. And there are tons of people (like myself) who didn't like the Wii U but have already bought the Switch. The concept that the market is aiming for at all the same people is just absurd.

Good luck with your negativity and disappointment with Nintendo, sounds like you're wallowing in it. Nintendo will be perfectly fine.

Yes it's a Hybrid console, in that it needs to appeal to both home and portable markets. In terms of home console based software, it will fail merely on the fact that it STILL has the same issue as the WiiU did: it's significantly less powerful than its competitors, and publishers wont spend the time to port AAA titles on a whim that it "might" sell okay on the switch.

The portable side was explained pretty thoroughly in my explanation, considering that's what I've deemed the Switch to be.

I actually liked the 3DS. I thought it was a bit pricey, but I definitely got my moneys worth out of it. The only gripe I had was the placement of the power button, which can be confirmed by looking at my post history.

" there's a bit of parallel between what you claim to like and your predictions."

That's called being a realist. As I said, I love what Nintendo have contributed to the industry, and I want them to succeed. However, their hardware model has become uncompetitive. As I explained in the OP, the Switch most likely has no wiggle room for a price drop, unless key features are removed in a later revision of the hardware. They might turn a small profit from hardware, but do you know what turns bigger profits? Selling software on platforms with millions more potential buyers. 

you realize that a portable console hybrid at the levels of Xone and PS4 would probably cost like DOUBLE what the Switch is right? do you have any idea how the interior components of a portable system work? you need space for the battery (which takes up a LOT of space), the graphical components, all the slots for fitting memory cards, cartridges, etc.

The concept that Nintendo could just have magically made the system competitively powerful AND be a hybrid is only suggested by people who know nothing about how a portable is spaced about inside. Its the same reason almost no tablets on the market, regardless of how powerful, have been optimized to play big open world games and remain at a reasonable price point

the 'parallel' part was me pointing out that its irrelevant that you're a Nintendo fan as far as your opinion is concerned. It doesn't make your 'Nintendo doomsday' thread any more relevant than someone who doesn't like Nintendo

as for your last point- if the argument is software profits, Nintendo sells more software than any other company on the planet (as far as in house developed vs. any other company). Regardless of hardware sales.

The reality is if you're third party you're still going to have some level of development costs (getting higher and higher every year for bigger games) AND your'e going to have to split the profit with the hardware developer from licensing fees. You're completely right that Nintendo makes most of their money from software sales- but thats the point- they would be cutting it in half by going third party and would have to sell like double the software (which they already sell a lot) to make up that difference. Its not an automatic success story, look at a Capcom or Sega or any of the biggest third party developers. They're not rolling in cash for the most part 

For a portable device its way too expensive yet iv seen alot more expensive tablets, mobiles and Laptops. Switch is well priced. If you cant afford it than save up for one or sell something. Your inability to accept the price should not affect others and basically ask them to fold. No i dont want Nintendo to become a no one like Sega.

Renna Hazel said:
fordy said:

What aspect of the Switch would you consider beneficial compared to its competitors (don't say portability, because it's clearly a portable console)? 

So I can't name one of it's defining aspects because...it's a defining aspect? 

Well aside portability, I think the joycon controllers are really cool. The motion and gyro aspects are definitely a plus. Also being able to use them as a single controller or split them in two is nice. 

Nintendo still has things to announce, I liked the aspect of the Miiverse so I hope they replace it with something similar. 

Motion and gyro. Okay...

Now, would you have considered it a wiser decision to make the joycons' features as options, and not a required part of the original package, even if only a handful of the games end up using them?

KLAMarine said:

Nintendo going third party would be sweet! I would love PS/XBox/PC players to be able to play their games...

This business just don't work that way though, sadly... :(

exactly. Obviously in a perfect world it would be stellar if Nintendo games could be available for all, but Nintendo going third party would require them to mostly split their profits AND take away their lucrative accessory business. It also would take away their easy cash from things like the virtual console.

Its a cute thing to suggest, but people throw it out all the time without thinking. If it were that easy to kill it as a third party developer than Capcom and Sega would be rolling in the cash (despite their dumb decisions). In the end a third party is not getting all of the profit from sales and has to sort of play ball with the hardware manufacturer's whims

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
fordy said:

What aspect of the Switch would you consider beneficial compared to its competitors (don't say portability, because it's clearly a portable console)? 

why cant he say portabililty? if thats something he thinks helps it stand out among the others than it makes no sense why he couldnt include it.

Because portability isn't a big, defining aspect that's considered enough to separate this console from its competitors. I could also say that smartphones are an even bigger portability factor, because people conveniently carry them around more often, and the base is much higher.

fordy said:
Renna Hazel said:

So I can't name one of it's defining aspects because...it's a defining aspect? 

Well aside portability, I think the joycon controllers are really cool. The motion and gyro aspects are definitely a plus. Also being able to use them as a single controller or split them in two is nice. 

Nintendo still has things to announce, I liked the aspect of the Miiverse so I hope they replace it with something similar. 

Motion and gyro. Okay...

Now, would you have considered it a wiser decision to make the joycons' features as options, and not a required part of the original package, even if only a handful of the games end up using them?

No, it's the controller, why would I want that to be optional? That's like making an analog stick an optional function. When I purchse the console, I'll have a very capable controller. 

Plenty of games don't use all the buttons/features of any given controller, but having those features standard means developers are more likely to use them. 

Renna Hazel said:
vivster said:

I'm pretty sure the choice of hardware massively increases if they go 3rd party.

How does going from 3 dedicated gaming machines to 2 dedicated gaming machines increase consumer choice in hardware?

It increases from 1 device to 100 devices you can play Nintendo games on.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

fordy said:
zorg1000 said:
"I own all of the old consoles and still do. However, the Switch will be the first Nintendo console that I will most likely pass on."

I don't understand comments like this when the system isn't out, we don't know the full extent of its library or the system's features.

For all you know it could have a price cut, a redesign with a better battery, a bunch of games you want to play and excellent online services a year or two from now.

It just seems weird to have a predetermined mindset towards a device that isn't even out yet.

Read the last comment in the OP. I'd like to hope the predictions don't come true, but I see way too much of a resemblence between the WiiU and the Switch.

If the device does indeed get decent 3rd party support and no large droughts, I'll be happy to say that I'm wrong.

yeah, big 'semblence' to the Wii U when the Switch has a PORTABLE hybrid component and the Wii U can't leave your house. that's just silly. The Wii U essentially had a tablet controller that added very little. The Switch can leave the house.

It's apples and oranges, more or less the Switch conceptually is what the Wii U SHOULD have been, because it actually advances gaming and brings something new. The Wii U was just a tablet connected to a game system and practically nothing different than the PS3 and Vita had with remote play

fordy said:
zorg1000 said:

why cant he say portabililty? if thats something he thinks helps it stand out among the others than it makes no sense why he couldnt include it.

Because portability isn't a big, defining aspect that's considered enough to separate this console from its competitors. I could also say that smartphones are an even bigger portability factor, because people conveniently carry them around more often, and the base is much higher.

Perhaps it isn't for you, but it is for many people. It's not the ONLY factor, but being able to play something like Zelda BotW on the go is an appealing feature for many.