By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - People Worrying about Nintendo when they should be worrying about Microsoft [Opinion]

I think MS is at the greatest risk to leave the industry, and it has nothing to do with handhelds. Xbox will just be seen as an inferior alternative to PS4. Nintendo consoles will always stand on their own, for better or worse. 

Around the Network
Renna Hazel said:

I think MS is at the greatest risk to leave the industry, and it has nothing to do with handhelds. Xbox will just be seen as an inferior alternative to PS4. Nintendo consoles will always stand on their own, for better or worse. 

Has all to with Microsoft thinking it is worth it or not. Windows and Office are such money makers Xbox may not be worth their time. Conversely they have so much money not bothered if it doesn't make as much money as they'd like it to.

This is some awesome deflection. Its like when I argue politics and everyone goes 'But Hillary!'.

Funny how people write "opinion" in their thread titles as if that absolves them of any responsibility or criticism.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

bunchanumbers said:
This is some awesome deflection. Its like when I argue politics and everyone goes 'But Hillary!'.

People worrying about Trump when they should be worrying about Hillary. She's gonna be in jail soon!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
L_ said:

Microsoft has performed the weakest this generation out of the big 3. Sony with a combined sales total of PS4 consoles and PS Vitas is at 63.7 million this gen and Nintendo with a combined sales total of Wii U consoles 3DS's is at 75 million. Microsoft with only one platform to back it up if one fails has been struggling compare to Sony and Nintendo at only 25.5 million Xbox one consoles sold.

So what do you think? Is Xbox the one who is really in trouble here? Will Scorpio be able to save it and if not, what?

NOTE: Numbers used are post december since PS4 sales are the only ones we've gotten. PS4 console + Vita numbers using the lastetst figures is at 68 million. 63.7 million was used to keep it a more fair comparison as Xbox and Nintendo numbers are a month behind.

EDIT: Even if you just consider the best selling hardware of each Company with the PS4 at 49 million and 3DS at 61 million, Microsoft needs to pick its self up because at 25.5 million its going to get left behind by next generation.

Your premise itself is false.

You are essentially talking about profits vs costs and whether Microsoft is making enough money with just their XBONE vs Sony with their PS4 and vita vs Nintendo and their Wii U and 3DS.

However, the reality is that Microsoft is not _merely_ a gaming company.  They are a giant company with many products.  If the XBOX division is in the red then there are many other divisions in Microsoft that can counterbalance that.  Same with Sony actually, though to a lesser extent.  Nintendo however is almost exclusively a home console and handheld gaming company.

Given this Nintendo still seems like the company with the most potential for being in trouble, though smartly enough, Nintendo tends to still make profit on 'failed' products.

This doesn't even bring into consideration that Microsoft's strategy has shifted so that whatever iteration XBOX there is, it is not the sole way to play games within the XBOX ecosystem.  If someone buys a game for the XBOX or if they buy for Windows 10, Microsoft still makes money, and that is their current strategic attempt.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I think is not about the number of consoles, but the amount of profits.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

L_ said:
barneystinson69 said:

Is this a joke? OF COURSE MICROSOFT IS AT A DISADVANTAGE WHEN YOU COMBINE HANDHELDS AND HOME CONSOLES! Both the Playstation and Nintendo platforms sold better last generation as well when you combined the two! 

Yes but even if you only count the best selling hardware the PS4 at 49 million, 3DS at 61 million, Xbox has a dying install base of 25.5 that needs pick its self up quickly or it will get left behind.

I mean we can go on all day cherry picking data to make Nintendo look better, but it's still dishonest and a misrepresentation of the bigger picture.

Alkibiádēs said:
naruball said:

I always find this argument funny. How much software has XB1 sold in total compared to Wiiu? If it's more, then a few games selling well on wiiu clearly aren't enough. As for BO3 being its most successful, Halo 5 shipped 5m in its first 3 months, so these numbers aren't accurate (which is still besides the point).

Most of the Wii U sales will have been first party though, Microsoft only receives royalties from third party sales, not the full $50-60.

Actually, the publisher gets less than $15 for a full $60 title. The platform owner only gets a$1 or two last I checked. Distrubutors get a cut. Stores get a cut, then there's production and shipping shipping costs. That eats up over $40 of a $60 game (the percentages change when the game retails for less than $60). When a first party publishes their own game, they get like $16 max per copy, as opposed to the $1 or so they get for third party.

Then there's second party games (like Pokemon) where Nintendo publishes the game, and owns control of the IP, but an independent studio makes the game. The royalty for that game could mean that Nintendo might only make $2-3 per copy of Pokemon sold rather than the $15 or so they'd get if they made it themselves. This came up when Pokemon Go came up, and people were discussing Nintendo's profits from that. It's actually remarkably similar for all Pokemon games for similar reasons.

You do realize that the 3DS is entering the last stages of its life cycle now, right?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3