By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hate to say this...If the Switch isn't powerful as Xbox One, I'm not buying. Let me explain

Well I for one play games and not specs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Just think of the Switch as a portable first with TV play as a bonus. If you expect it to be too much like a primary console you're just going to get upset.

Think of it as (maybe) the best game portable ever made with a lot of kick ass Nintendo first party games and you'll be happy I think.

Now granted $299.99 is expensive, but there's no rule that says you have to get it at launch. When it's $249.99 or $199.99, take a swing at one.

It's not really the power you should be worried about, but the content the system receives and if people actually buy it. If the Switch can sell enough units, then you don't have to worry about getting games because third parties will support it. As it stands, pubs look like they're getting cold feet on the console until further notice, if the game lineup is anything to go by.

Say, if the Switch did take off though, how long would pubs take to give it any significant AAA original content? It would probably take a while to give the platform any full scale development if making something from scratch, but it could see scaled down ports of current gen games at the very least.

ICStats said:
Ck1x said:

Probably not that accurate really, if the theoretical docked power is somewhere close to 400 gflops, then the XbOne is probably closer to 2.5x as powerful as the Switch. That's accounting for newer hardware design over the older XbOne gcn architecture and efficiency. When we see the first Switch games built from the ground up running between 720p and 900p at 30fps, we will have a better idea of what games can look like. 

Right now BoTW is a open world WiiU port that just happens to run better than the WiiU version in both 720p portable and 900p dock modes. 

The architecture is more recent, but as a mobile chipset it's hard to compare directly; it could be more efficient, or could be less as they cut features in the mobile version to save power.

Anyway, from the look of the games, and from Zelda's resolution information, it looks around 1.5x to 2.0x of Wii U GPU performance.

Well considering that the XbOne and PS4 both have mobile cpu's paired with semi-custom gpu''s, the Switch is not that far off from comparing. It's using ARM cores and Maxwell based gpu cores which are derived from the desktop cards of the same family. It's definitely not like comparing it to the Pica 200 in the 3ds or the Vita's gpu...

Mar1217 said:
Nintation360 said:

I'm not a graphics person, I'm content person... so why do I care about how powerful the Switch is: I'm worried about the Switch being relevant for about a year or 2... and it'll be weak as a smartphone by the year 2020 while the PS5 and XB2 comes out when every games runs 4K gaming.... pretty much Wii U 2.0  

What a load of contradictions ! 

If you continued to read past the bold.....  🙄🤔

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Well, Switch your point-of-view and look at it like this. The switch is by far the most powerful handheld, about three times more than Vita. Capable of running the mainline Zelda, Splatoon and Mario games, which is unheard of for a handheld. As a bonus, you can hook it up to the tv and have the home console experience if you wish to do so.

Yep look at the difference between

Mario 3D Land vs Mario Odyssey

Ocarina of Time 3D vs Breath of the Wild

Mario Kart 7 vs Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Xenoblade 3D vs Xenoblade 2

This is probably the biggest generational leap in handheld history

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

KLXVER said:
Ck1x said:

Well considering that the Switch runs Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in split screen all at 1080p 60fps that's not a remotely accurate statement! Chances are until they get really optimal at working with the Switch, Nvidia hardware and software API, we won't see the systems full potential just yet. 

The ported games really won't tell much about the Switch, it will be the games created from the ground up that will truly shine.

Mario Kart 8 on WiiU was 60fps in split screen as well though.

It's 60fps in 2 players split screen mode.  But 30fps in 3-4 players split-screen. The same applies to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Difference being that the Wii U renders it at native 720p while the Switch renders it in 1080p.

Hynad said:
KLXVER said:

Mario Kart 8 on WiiU was 60fps in split screen as well though.

It's 60fps in 2 players split screen mode.  But 30fps in 3-4 players split-screen. The same applies to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Difference being that the Wii U renders it at native 720p while the Switch renders it in 1080p.

Yeah the only difference is that on Switch it runs Deluxe at 1080p 60fps at all times!

The guys on Tree house live stated this same thing, which is why I believe this gives us a better clue of just how capable this device is over the WiiU. If it's capable of rendering 4 separate images all at 1080p 60fps, then it's theoretical power should be at least that while docked.

Something people have been overlooking with BoTW Switch versus WiiU is just how dense the grass alone is on the Switch version.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mario-kart-8-deluxe-review

Ck1x said:
Hynad said:

Yeah the only difference is that on Switch it runs Deluxe at 1080p 60fps at all times!

The guys on Tree house live stated this same thing, which is why I believe this gives us a better clue of just how capable this device is over the WiiU. If it's capable of rendering 4 separate images all at 1080p 60fps, then it's theoretical power should be at least that while docked.

Something people have been overlooking with BoTW Switch versus WiiU is just how dense the grass alone is on the Switch version.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mario-kart-8-deluxe-review

No. The Switch version runs at 30fps when in 3-4 players split screen, just like the Wii U version.

But can you miss the next Zelda in 2019? Or a metroid prime sequel? Mario Kart 9? Smash 6? New IPs