By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871
nemo37 said:

ArchangelMadzz said:
I don't see it happening for a while but i would love for this to happen.

Playing Mario on PlayStation or PC would be the best. The less boxes for me to buy the better. But that's a very selfish opinion of course.

I would not mind as much if Nintendo still made systems like Gamecube (which were basically the same as the competition), but they make hardware right now that the other platform companies simply do not. Dedicated portable systems, for example, is one such type of hardware that only Nintendo really makes now, and it is how I primarly game (my main gaming sessions are on my commute or in bed at home). If Nintendo went third-party, then the only option left for gamers like me is to go mobile (and not one I would take up, based on past experience with mobile games), which I cringe at considering the quality of most games on mobile devices do not even begin to approach the most average games on portables like 3DS, Vita, and Switch. Portability is why I am personally rooting for Switch to be successful (ideally to a point where Nintendo supports it with new entries to the majority of their franchises along with re-releases and emulation from past systems, it gets great indies, and some third-party gems). My point is a bit selfish as well, but the Switch really is a dream handheld for me, so I would hate for Nintendo to abandon it and develop major projects only on stationary systems, which I would have little time to enjoy. 

The middle ground would then be Nintendo going third party and keeping handhelds alive. 

They make a killing with their handhelds, Pokémon etc. 

And they'd make a killing third party. Zelda would've sold over 5 mil probably if it released on ps/Xbox/pc. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Like I said last month in this thread, all I have to do is wait. Time is in my favor.

Were all dying Rol, even you. 

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

ArchangelMadzz said:
nemo37 said:

I would not mind as much if Nintendo still made systems like Gamecube (which were basically the same as the competition), but they make hardware right now that the other platform companies simply do not. Dedicated portable systems, for example, is one such type of hardware that only Nintendo really makes now, and it is how I primarly game (my main gaming sessions are on my commute or in bed at home). If Nintendo went third-party, then the only option left for gamers like me is to go mobile (and not one I would take up, based on past experience with mobile games), which I cringe at considering the quality of most games on mobile devices do not even begin to approach the most average games on portables like 3DS, Vita, and Switch. Portability is why I am personally rooting for Switch to be successful (ideally to a point where Nintendo supports it with new entries to the majority of their franchises along with re-releases and emulation from past systems, it gets great indies, and some third-party gems). My point is a bit selfish as well, but the Switch really is a dream handheld for me, so I would hate for Nintendo to abandon it and develop major projects only on stationary systems, which I would have little time to enjoy. 

The middle ground would then be Nintendo going third party and keeping handhelds alive. 

And they'd make a killing third party. Zelda would've sold over 5 mil probably if it released on ps/Xbox/pc. 

zelda will sell 5 million on Switch so thats a pretty bad example.

Nintendo IP would have to sell alot more than they currently do in order for going 3rd party to be worthwhile. Nintendo would lose out on royalties & have to pay royalties along with losing out on hardware & accessory revenue.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I don't have the patience for this.

ArchangelMadzz said:
nemo37 said:

I would agree with your sentiments in the ideal world where the handheld and stationary systems could survive without exclusivity. However, a question that arises is whether or not people would purchase their handhelds if the games were avilable on PC/Xbox/PS. I cannot see the Switch selling well if Zelda was released on non-Nintendo platforms (like you said though, Zelda itself would have probably sold better but then again such an arguement could be made for most console-exclusives). Of course, another option is to split developement (like Nintendo has done with its portables and home consoles) where certain games come to handheld while others come to the stationary systems; but this again creates a situation where people need to purchase a seperate system to enjoy the full library of games (not to mention Nintendo running into software drought issues again due to split developement). 

The most ideal scenerio would be for Sony and MS to also release systems like the Switch, so that all three major platform makers have viable portable gaming devices. This would mean that the dedicated game experience could be easily shifted from one portable system to another, should one of the platform makers decide to go third-party. Maybe if Switch does well (which I strongly hope it does, albeit I think it will require a price drop to maintain long-term momentum), it will convince Sony to have another go at portables (I certainly would not mind having a Vita successor).

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Nintendo IP would have to sell alot more than they currently do in order for going 3rd party to be worthwhile. Nintendo would lose out on royalties & have to pay royalties along with losing out on hardware & accessory revenue.

I meant by now*  But I have a feeling you knew that and just wanted to make a point for points sake.

Lifetime Zelda would reach 20mil if it released on all platforms. 

And being open to 80 million more consoles and god knows how many PC's indicates they wouldn't sell a lot more?

ArchangelMadzz said:
zorg1000 said:

I meant by now*  But I have a feeling you knew that and just wanted to make a point for points sake.

And being open to 80 million more consoles and god knows how many PC's indicates they wouldn't sell a lot more?

nope had no idea thats what you meant, probably because thats not what you said

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

But I did...

"Zelda would've sold over 5 mil probably if it released on PS/Xbox/PC"

Would've = Past tense. 
Sold = Past tense.

ArchangelMadzz said:
zorg1000 said:

But I did...

Would've = Past tense. 
Sold = Past tense.

i still think "by now" is necessary for that comment but i dont want to argue over grammar so ill just admit to not understanding what you meant.

as for bigger install base automatically equaling bigger sales, thats not how it works. i have given many examples earlier in this thread of franchises that sold a consistent amount regardless of install base.

obviously when a game is stuck on a device with an extremely low install base like Wii U or Vita than it limits a games potential but there really isnt any reaaon to assume Switch will do as poorly as them.

zorg1000 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

But I did...

Would've = Past tense. 
Sold = Past tense.

i still think "by now" is necessary for that comment but i dont want to argue over grammar so ill just admit to not understanding what you meant.

as for bigger install base automatically equaling bigger sales, thats not how it works. i have given many examples earlier in this thread of franchises that sold a consistent amount regardless of install base.

obviously when a game is stuck on a device with an extremely low install base like Wii U or Vita than it limits a games potential but there really isnt any reaaon to assume Switch will do as poorly as them.

A bigger install base does matter. It's not 1 for 1 as that all means varied taste. 

But to increase the install base by 1000% would increase sales massively. Obviously not by 1000%. But let's look at Mario Kart 8. It sold 7.35million a massive number for Wii I system. I guarantee with PS4 XB1 and Steam it would've done at the extreme least 20 million. 

And keeping their handheld business that prints money would also be great for them.