By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey - Real World New Donk is King Kong 1933?

So watching the trailer I see lots of people getting upset and saying it doesn't make sense.  

However it looks to me as if it's paying homage to 1933 King Kong, with people walking around in 1930's era clothes and 1930's era New York, and in an obviously Donkey Kong inspired city, complete with streets named after DK characters and construction stuff out of the first DK game.

So potential DK boss fight, him throwing barrels from atop a large building, like in the old DK game, or lol, in Pixels?

I think it's a cool homage actually.  I guess they should have put it in black and white to drive it home.  I also could be toally wrong on this.  What do you guys think?

Around the Network
TheSpindler said:

So watching the trailer I see lots of people getting upset and saying it doesn't make sense.  

However it looks to me as if it's paying homage to 1933 King Kong, with people walking around in 1930's era clothes and 1930's era New York, and in an obviously Donkey Kong inspired city, complete with streets named after DK characters and construction stuff out of the first DK game.

So potential DK boss fight, him throwing barrels from atop a large building, like in the old DK game, or lol, in Pixels?

I think it's a cool homage actually.  I guess they should have put it in black and white to drive it home.  I also could be toally wrong on this.  What do you guys think?

Didn't one of the signs say "Dixie Avenue" or something? That's the first thing I noticed, I thought it was a Donkey Kong game for a second. 

The game title should be Mario Dimensions.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Soundwave said:
TheSpindler said:

Didn't one of the signs say "Dixie Avenue" or something? That's the first thing I noticed, I thought it was a Donkey Kong game for a second. 

Yeah there's Cranky Kong Ave or something another for K ROol, even the license plates of the cars have DK references.  And you can see the construction beams that look like the NES construction beams at the edges of the city.

TheSpindler said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah there's Cranky Kong Ave or something another for K ROol, even the license plates of the cars have DK references.  And you can see the construction beams that look like the NES construction beams at the edges of the city.

Hmmm I didn't see Cranky Kong Ave, where in the trailer is it approximately?

DK back in Mario would be awesome. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
TheSpindler said:

Hmmm I didn't see Cranky Kong Ave, where in the trailer is it approximately?

DK back in Mario would be awesome. 

Not Ave sorry, Cranky Street.

When I first saw this, I thought of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics but definitely is a possibility

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]