By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guerrilla Cambridge is shutting down

walsufnir said:
Sad for all people involved. How many studios did Sony close this gen?

Three right?  Elvolution, GGC, and London Studios.  Notice that they are all in the UK.  They opened a few as well.   North West Studios (VR focused), and another studio whose name I can't remember. I want to say there is a third as well so they basically broke even.  Microsoft closed between 5 and 8 with Lionhead being the biggest.   They opened some studios as well.    

Around the Network
UnderstatedCornHole said:
Lafiel said:
very regrettable decision and one that reflects badly on the PSVR as RIGS is probably it's most polished title to date

I think Sony made quite a bad mistake here

Sony only make mistakes or gets lucky.

How many hardware devices has it released that succeeded Vs failures?

Getting rid of this studio with PSVR around just says it all.

They have a brand new VR studio thoug.  North West.  They are obviously (per their statement) folding those resources into that studio.  

UGH! Too risky to get into AAA development. I'm playing mind tennis with myself!!!

CosmicSex said:
walsufnir said:
Sad for all people involved. How many studios did Sony close this gen?

Three right?  Elvolution, GGC, and London Studios.  Notice that they are all in the UK.  They opened a few as well.   North West Studios (VR focused), and another studio whose name I can't remember. I want to say there is a third as well so they basically broke even.  Microsoft closed between 5 and 8 with Lionhead being the biggest.   They opened some studios as well.    

London didn't get closed but got hit by layoffs.

This gen they also opened PixelOpus but we have no idea what they are doing at the moment and they opened SIE San Mateo to help on game production for Farpoint and Spider-Man.

Developers might be too expensive (or far more expensive than in other countries), I guess.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network

That sucks. Less Sony devs and they lose their jobs. What a shame.

Hilariously predictable.

As soon as I saw them working on VR I thought "that's risky" and it turns out the risk didn't pay off.

Such a fucking shame. Killzone Mercenary wasn't just a brilliant handheld FPS, it was a brilliant FPS, period. I'd also like to mention something people skip over with them - LittleBigPlanet PSP was done by them, which did a brilliant job of creating a unique adventure out of the franchise for handheld.

They also contributed HEAVILY to the tech of some PS3 titles like LBP and Heavenly Sword that just wouldn't have happened otherwise.

So, this is the third of the (eventually) internal Sony teams from the PS1 era that Sony have managed to gut then close. First they killed Incognito Entertainment, a team formed of members who made the original Twisted Metal games who had specifically formed a studio to keep working with Sony. Then they killed Psygnosis, which I'm still bitter about to this day - you can remaster WipEout all you want, but the damage is done. And now finally they've killed Cambridge Studio who brought us MediEvil - not my favourite PS1 franchise, but iconic all the same.

Tell you what, if Bend are on the chopping block when Days Gone inevitably bombs then that only really leaves Naughty Dog and Japan Studio among "Sony owned teams from the PS1 days who I loved". Naughty Dog are indestructible and I like to hope Japan Studio are too, but still...

Anyway, thanks for all the great gaming memories Cambridge Studio and I hope all those affected manage to find work relatively easily. You guys sure had some great skills.

twintail said:

They never got a shot at a PS4 game because it wasnt worth the risk giving them a big budget title.

Cambridge havent exactly been money makers for Sony for many many years.

I don't know anything really about Cambridge(i'll admit i'm a newer Playstation player)...but I'd imagine that Cambridge was worth letting go since they DID give some of their 3rd tier or 2nd tier studios HUGE BUDGET releases like Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
twintail said:

They never got a shot at a PS4 game because it wasnt worth the risk giving them a big budget title.

Cambridge havent exactly been money makers for Sony for many many years.

I don't know anything really about Cambridge(i'll admit i'm a newer Playstation player)...but I'd imagine that Cambridge was worth letting go since they DID give some of their 3rd tier or 2nd tier studios HUGE BUDGET releases like Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn. 

Sony bend is definitely a second tier studio but Guerrilla prime certainly isn't.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Sony bend is definitely a second tier studio but Guerrilla prime certainly isn't.

I mostly just meant in terms of popularity. They were going down hill with fans and even casual consumers since Killzone 2. Plus games like Uncharted, God of War 3, and Little Big Planet were the biggest of games on PS3. But yea.....I would say from a budget standpoint they've always been 1st tier. It's just..this is the first game from them that excites me on the same level(even higher) than other studios Sony owns.