By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Death Stranding: It Seems That Kojima Is Fultoning Everyone From Konami To Kojima Productions

DonFerrari said:
potato_hamster said:

Kojima has been trying to crawl out from under Metal Gear for 15 years now. He probably doesn't want it back.

Metal Gear isn't the only IP he does, and we don't know if the problem was MG or Konami that he was trying to run from. There is Castlevania and Silent Hill as well

I know it wasn't the only IP. But Kojima has been very vocal about wanting to move away from Metal Gear for a long time now. Metal Gear Solid 3 was supposed to be his last and it made 3 after that, rumored to be due to pressure from Konami since it made them a pile of money, and not from his own desires to keep going with the franchise. I think his involvement with Silent Hills was his attempt to break away from the image that he's "the metal gear guy" and firmly establish that he could make great games across multiple genres. I think that P.T. was made to prove to Konami that his vision for the horror genre would be accepted by wide audiences, and I think that was leveraged into Kojima getting the green light on Silent Hills, and maybe more of his way on creative freedom and budget. Then, shortly after it was announced Silent Hills gets cancelled - probably because one of the other heads of Konami saw a deadline get pushed back or a schedule get adjusted, or a budget increased, and one thing lead to another...

As a result, MGSV got pushed out 6 months to a year before Kojima would have signed off on it, just to get Kojima out of the door, and Kojima walked into the welcoming arms of Sony, who will throw fistfuls of money at him because they know what kind of following the man commands. Now we have bizarro shit like Death Stranding coming out, and I'm just waiting for Kojima to take me for another ride.

As for whether not not he wants Silent Hill's IP back? I'm getting the itching feeling that the only reason it was "Silent Hills" in the first place is Konami's attempt at mitigating the risk of the project by attaching it to an established franchise. Death Stranding could be closer to Kojima's original vision for the game that would have turned into Silent Hills in the first place.

*** None of this has any basis using any verifiable source. It's just how I mentallly pieced together how I think the split between Kojima and Konami happened in a very broad sense ***

Around the Network

Wonder how they pulled this off. Some companies have people sign agreements that say you won't grab former co-workers if you leave

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

potato_hamster said:
DonFerrari said:

Metal Gear isn't the only IP he does, and we don't know if the problem was MG or Konami that he was trying to run from. There is Castlevania and Silent Hill as well

I know it wasn't the only IP. But Kojima has been very vocal about wanting to move away from Metal Gear for a long time now. Metal Gear Solid 3 was supposed to be his last and it made 3 after that, rumored to be due to pressure from Konami since it made them a pile of money, and not from his own desires to keep going with the franchise. I think his involvement with Silent Hills was his attempt to break away from the image that he's "the metal gear guy" and firmly establish that he could make great games across multiple genres. I think that P.T. was made to prove to Konami that his vision for the horror genre would be accepted by wide audiences, and I think that was leveraged into Kojima getting the green light on Silent Hills, and maybe more of his way on creative freedom and budget. Then, shortly after it was announced Silent Hills gets cancelled - probably because one of the other heads of Konami saw a deadline get pushed back or a schedule get adjusted, or a budget increased, and one thing lead to another...

As a result, MGSV got pushed out 6 months to a year before Kojima would have signed off on it, just to get Kojima out of the door, and Kojima walked into the welcoming arms of Sony, who will throw fistfuls of money at him because they know what kind of following the man commands. Now we have bizarro shit like Death Stranding coming out, and I'm just waiting for Kojima to take me for another ride.

As for whether not not he wants Silent Hill's IP back? I'm getting the itching feeling that the only reason it was "Silent Hills" in the first place is Konami's attempt at mitigating the risk of the project by attaching it to an established franchise. Death Stranding could be closer to Kojima's original vision for the game that would have turned into Silent Hills in the first place.

*** None of this has any basis using any verifiable source. It's just how I mentallly pieced together how I think the split between Kojima and Konami happened in a very broad sense ***

nothing you said is out of place so they are all very possible. Just said that Sony (not necessarily Kojima) may want to buy the IPs and deliver to Kojima Production and it could even be direct by a secondary team instead of Kojima himself.

And about Kojima prowess it's undeniable, he have made several other success out of MG.

JOKA_ said:
Wonder how they pulled this off. Some companies have people sign agreements that say you won't grab former co-workers if you leave

Well it could be that Konami didn't even want to keep this guys. Or by the way Kojima was tossed out perhaps any contract had lost it's weight.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."