By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii gamers - 80% are male and 72% are 12-24

weezy said:
btw, the wii is a big hit with the ladies...no pun intended

lol

Around the Network

I can't see how this survey can be accurate ...

You will often see it mentioned (in relation to politics) how impossible it is becomming to accurately poll voters who are 18 to 35 because so many of them have given up land-lines in favour of cellphones. The obvious point from this is that single (well employed) people are both far more likely to give up their land-line and to be early adopters on a videogame system; these people would be dramatically under represented in any telephone survey.

Another factor is that the Wii is still a pretty rare thing for people to own so they would have to call a massive number of households to get enough Wii owners to acurately measure the userbase.

The final question is, when a 'Nuclear' family owns a Wii who is credited with the ownership? The Mother, daughter, father or son?

I believe it was an online survey. Disproportionately likely to hit young males.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I have to wonder about the sample - the demographics we saw in our buying-a-Wii line back in November were very, very mixed -- everyone from guys in their 50's to women in their 20's with kids to my wife and I in our late 30's. I wonder if this survey ended up being "Wii owners who answer the phone" or "Wii owners who hang out on the Internet looking for videogame info a lot" or even "Wii owners who bought it for their families to enjoy." On the other hand, I guess it would be good for the Wii's software library if the demographic ends up looking fairly mainstream. It would help ensure that Godfather:BE and RE:4 and Scarface and Manhunt 2 are not just exceptions to a general E-focus... oh, wait, maybe that's already established!

you know that poll was made to like 2000 wii owners right?

Around the Network

2000 is not a lot. no one asked me :)

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

diegomoroco777 said:
you know that poll was made to like 2000 wii owners right?

The methodology of a survey matters more than the sample size or results ...

Hypothetically speaking, I could survey XBox 360 owners in Junior High Schools across North America to demonstrate that the XBox 360 was played mostly by teenagers under 14 years of age but that would not be accurate.

I agree. I usually dont agree with polls. And 2000 owners?? The adult Wii owners were at work while the poll was being conducted.

I know, that´s why i made the comment. The poll was probably made to more active gamers, and we know those are 15-30 year old men, in most part. I think the men-women amount of Wii owners should be, right now, of about 70-30 After Christimas, about 60-40

2000 is alot for polls. Most presidential polls run nation-wide, and only have 1000 people. So 2000 people out of 6 million is pretty big.