By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - XenoGears Vs. PlaneScape Torment?

Khuutra said:
g-value said:
@ Khuutra

Did you watch the whole thing?

Plus, it makes more sense if you actually play the game leading up to that moment. Sure, it can be seen as "typical", but at the same time, it's necessary.

You didn't read my question. Or else Ii need to rephrase.

"How typical is this writing of the game?" means "is this writing at the normal level of quality for the game"?

At times the translation is amazing.

at times... not so much :P

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
g-value said:
@ Khuutra

Oh, my bad. To answer your question, at times, yes. Not all the time though. Only when necessary. Why do you ask?

You have to understand I'm taking my time to phrase this because you're a nice guy and I know you lov this gamee and I don't want to offend you.

It feels ... overwrought.

Khuutra said:
g-value said:
@ Khuutra

Oh, my bad. To answer your question, at times, yes. Not all the time though. Only when necessary. Why do you ask?

You have to understand I'm taking my time to phrase this because you're a nice guy and I know you lov this gamee and I don't want to offend you.

It feels ... overwrought.

@ Khuutra

Is that so? Well, like I've said before, the writing is only like that some of the times (though I actually really love it). Also, like I've said before once again, you'll have to play the game up to that point to actually get a feel and understand why they wrote it like that. Xenogears is not you typical rpg Khuutra. It's on a whole other level of deepness. Writing like that can be considered "overwrought" for your average game, but not for Xenogears (at least, in my opinion).

Planescape Torment > Xenogears

That is all.

Bumped so rocketpig doesn't miss my response. :D

Around the Network

I'm not going to bother to respond for a few reasons:

1. I've been through this argument more times than I care to count

and

2. I would only be echoing Khuutra, only in a more drawn out way. Kinda like Xenogears, actually. It wouldn't change the point, only make it unnecessarily convoluted.

BTW, love the bit about you saying I was ignorant of gaming's role in storytelling when I brought up how different sides of the brain handle gameplay versus narrative. You didn't even come close to debating my point and I don't think you realized it. That's not ignorance, that's science, whether it's non-linear or linear. It makes no difference to the brain. You can't even debate it. Moving a player from one side to the other is a jolting experience.

That paragraph in itself was enough to show me how little you actually understand about gameplay narrative. There are plenty of articles written about it, feel free to Google them some time.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Interesting transition from this:

*giggles*

Oh damn, you just gave me a reason to wake up tomorrow morning.

to this:

I'm not going to bother to respond for a few reasons:

1. I've been through this argument more times than I care to count

May I ask what so drastically altered your enthusiasm for this topic of interest?

and

2. I would only be echoing Khuutra, only in a more drawn out way. Kinda like Xenogears, actually. It wouldn't change the point, only make it unnecessarily convoluted.

This would perhaps make more sense if Khuutra and I hadn't been talking about a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOPIC. Mine and Khuutra's discussion was on the storytelling merits of Chrono Trigger, whereas our's has been on the storytelling merits of the video game medium.

BTW, love the bit about you saying I was ignorant of gaming's role in storytelling when I brought up how different sides of the brain handle gameplay versus narrative. You didn't even come close to debating my point and I don't think you realized it. That's not ignorance, that's science, whether it's non-linear or linear. It makes no difference to the brain. You can't even debate it. Moving a player from one side to the other is a jolting experience.

All you have stated is that different sides of the brain handle passive and active thought. You haven't come close to substantiating anything beyond that. Perhaps you could start by explaining what's so fundamentally different about watching a cutscene and then going on to play through a gameplay segment, then reading a book (or watching an episode of a TV show), taking a break from it and then going on to do a completely different activity. Both involve a "transition" from passive to active thought). Yet its only within the confines of a game that this ruines the pacing?

Then there's also the fact that the brain is almost always operating on both an active and passive level. The simple act of reading something involves both passive and active thought. There is no "jolting experience" because the brain is never forced to operate from one level to the other.

And yes, plenty of the points you have brought up would suggest that you are extremely ignorant of storytelling and the psychology behind it in general.

I'mma let others continue the ongoing discussion, and just toss in my two cents that Plansescape's storyline was much deeper than Xenogears.  Planescape's entire purpose was to ask "What can change the nature of a man," and it did as interesting a job of exploring that as your average theatre production.*

Xenogears was pretty bloated, so while it broadly touched on a lot of things it never went very deep with any of them.  I've read Perfect Works, and it still seems fairly shallow to me.

*I'm not much for philosophy, so that wasn't meant as dismissively as it sounds.

Bumped. :D

Dead thread is dead!

~locking~

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000