By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I think Nintendo Switch is set for another Wii U disaster.

Einsam_Delphin said:
daredevil.shark said:

Those who are bringing example of PS4 and Xbox One need to remember that PS4 Pro has already been released and slowly it is becoming standard platform and soon Xbox Scorpio will be the same. Games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and many others will have modes optimized for PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio. Soon developers will be focusing on PS4 Pro, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Scorpio and PC and no one will have time for another platform.

Nah, if there's money to be made on Switch they'll make time for it. The question is if there's any money to be made on Switch, for western third partys anyway.

Given the track record of Nintendo Consoles most third party games (especially home console focused devs) will have a hard time to break even.

Around the Network

I know you already updated your OP, but you definitely jumped the gun a bit. Please keep in mind that the Switch is both a handheld and a home console, which would mean that it will most likely be replacing both the Wii U and the 3DS. This would make sense as Nintendo's home console and handheld console software teams have merged sometime ago.

"Another Wii U disaster"!? I hope before you made this thread you are aware about few things about why Wii U failed so hard, and whats for now it seems different with Switch compared to Wii U:

1. Wii U has terrible reveal, weak and misunderstood marketing, and bad naming. People even in 2013/2014 thouth that Wii U is some kind of addon for Wii and not new console.
-Just 1st Switch initial 3 minute trailer is done great and much better job about all that than Wii U on two E3s and few events.
2. Wii U concept was not appealing, made confusion and come on market too late.
-Switch concept is great, very interesting and easy to understand. It's basically hybrid that in same time aiming at home console owners and handheld owners, so we are talking about two markets for selling.
3. Wii U had very weak launch and 1st year lineupe with constant game droughts.
-It seems that Switch will have incomparable stronger launch and 1st year lineup without any droughts. We basicly talking about one best 1st year line up for any Nintendo console, with new 3D Mario, new 3D Zelda, Pokemon, great and strong Wii U ports/remasters like Mario Kart, Splatoon and Smash Bros, offcourse some other new games we don't know anything about.
4. Nintendo support for Wii U was weak because they also needed to support 3DS in same time, because it was their 1st HD console, and at end because they realised its failed so they moved projects to Switch.
-Switch is becoming only Nintendo console on market that will basically have full and undivided Nintendo support (not like before separate support for console and handheld platform). That basically means much more games than Wii U had and full focus and Nintendo attention to just one console.
5. Wii U had much higher price than competitor. Wii U had around $100 higher price than in that time very popular PS3/Xbox 360.
-Switch rumored price saying $250 that's $50 less than official prices of XB1/PS4.
6. Wii U hardware/tech even in 2012. was very old and that was not easy to work with it. It didn't even supported some engines that PS3/Xbox 360 supported like Unreal Engine 3, and for instance received Unity support very late. Of Course that had effect that Wii U didnt get some multi platform games.
-Switch has very modern tech/arhitecture, actualy more modern than XB1/PS4 tech architecture. It has support for almost all engines like Unreal Engine 4, Vulkan.. And because all that, developing/porting is much easier compared to Wii U.
8. Switch initial list of partners and supporters is bigger than Wii Us.
8. Everything about Switch is way more positive that it was for Wii U, reactions on 1st Switch trailer are very positive.

I agree with lots people who already said that was better to wait 12. January before making this thread, but IMO its not at all realistic to expect that Switch will be "another Wii U disaster" with thingsI wrote, actually Switch has pretty good chance to be very successful.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

IMO it's going to be a very solid portable machine, PS3/360/Wii U tier games can still be pretty.

As a *home console* only, yeah it's a bit mediocre for 2017, but Nintendo games are still fun no matter what and having all Nintendo IP on one system instead divided by two is likely going to give the Switch the best library a Nintendo system has had since either the SNES or GameCube.

Soundwave said:

IMO it's going to be a very solid portable machine, PS3/360/Wii U tier games can still be pretty.

As a *home console* only, yeah it's a bit mediocre for 2017, but Nintendo games are still fun no matter what and having all Nintendo IP on one system instead divided by two is likely going to give the Switch the best library a Nintendo system has had since either the SNES or GameCube.

Not saying I disagree, as there are still Xbox 360 games I think look very nice, but is that the console version of Crysis?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Not saying I disagree, as there are still Xbox 360 games I think look very nice, but is that the console version of Crysis?

I also have the same question. I think it's PC version. And PC version is still comparable with PS4 exclusives.

Soundwave said:

Just with dfrence that Switch will be much more capable than PS3/Xbox360.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Just with dfrence that Switch will be much more capable than PS3/Xbox360.

I don't know about *much* more capable. The games will still have to be able to run well in the portable mode and in portable mode it likely isn't that far beyond a PS3/360. 

Still pretty powerful for a portable. 

I think most games on the Switch will look basically like Wii U/PS3/360 games with some better effects or higher resolution. 

These visuals in undocked mode 540p-720p, and 1080p in docked. 

Soundwave said:

I don't know about *much* more capable. The games will still have to be able to run well in the portable mode and in portable mode it likely isn't that far beyond a PS3/360. 

I think most games on the Switch will look basically like Wii U/PS3/360 games. 

If it receives lazy ports, your assumption could be pretty accurate.
Allot of last gen remasters should run on it pretty well, if developers don't go crazy with resolution and framerates.

Things like lighting and texturing should see a big jump, geometry will be better than last gen.

People forget the Xbox 360 released over a decade ago, mobile eclipsed it's capabilities a long time ago in almost every way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Soundwave said:

I think most games on the Switch will look basically like Wii U/PS3/360 games. 

If it receives lazy ports, your assumption could be pretty accurate.
Allot of last gen remasters should run on it pretty well, if developers don't go crazy with resolution and framerates.

Things like lighting and texturing should see a big jump, geometry will be better than last gen.

People forget the Xbox 360 released over a decade ago, mobile eclipsed it's capabilities a long time ago in almost every way.

Yet there are very few mobile games that even attempt to look as good as Crysis 3, Uncharted 3, Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade X, Zelda: BoTW, Halo 4, etc. etc. etc. 

Doesn't really matter how powerful those mobile chips are when the average game they power looks like this: