By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS Vita 2, Or PSP 2, Must Happen..... Sony Vs Nintendo?!

Can a nexgen PlayStation phone bring Sony back in the mobile market?

Yes? 32 11.47%

Maybe 32 11.47%

No 86 30.82%

Won't happen 113 40.50%

It could definitely happen 16 5.73%

Total:279
naruball said:
Ljink96 said:
Not only would this be too expensive, nobody would buy it. If it isn't easily hackable, PSP2 or Vita 2 will fail just like Vita failed. The only thing that really sold the PSP was how easy it was to pirate it. If it (PSP) really was a huge success based off of how loyal the fanbase was, we'd see much higher numbers for Vita. I didn't know anybody who didn't have a hacked PSP. People that I thought would never hack a device in their life, hacked a PSP...by themselves. It did have a great selection of JRPGS though.

I just don't think it's needed for PSP2 to come out. You want it to be more powerful than the switch but you don't understand that it would also cost more than the switch. People are already complaining that the Switch should cost no more than $300. This device that you've proposed will be well over $300. And that's too much for a handheld... Prices would hardly ever fall without sony taking a loss on it, it'd be a disaster. 3DS had a difficult time garnering the success that it did make. And it had the most popular handheld franchises on it. A PSP2 without Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, etc. wouldn't fly.

Nice assertion there. Completely ignoring the fact that back then what the psp could do was a novelty. There were no iphones or tablets and the device was unique in terms of watching movies/tv shows, music, and playing games.It even had skype which people could use to call their friends. You know what's also hackable? ouya. How much did that sell?

It's like saying that the only reason the wii was a success was because it was hacked. I mean why didn't the Wiiu sell well it was such a success? In other words, your argument is extremely weak. Especially claiming that it was the only thing that made it sell. The psvita didn't sell well for a number of reasons just like the psp sold well for a number of reasons, including how easy it was to hack it.

As for your second paragraph, you don't seem to understand the concept. It's supposed to be a phone. People are willing to spend up to $600 or more, unless they get a plan, which they could also do with what the OP described. The comparison with the Switch is completely invalid. The switch is a console. Not a phone.

No, the Wii Sold because it was novel. And again, people didn' have to pay for movies on PSP either, they could get pirated copies of films too. Wii was easily hackable towards the end of its life cycle. Before then it was still selling very well while PSP was hackable really early. Ouya wasn't anything new or exciting, it didn't have exclusives, it's an android TV device and they came a dime a dozen. Why buy an Ouya when your phone could essentially do better? There's tons of Android TV devices with emulators, why would anybody buy an Ouya? Not really a thoughtful comparison.

The MAIN thing that I think sold the PSP was how easy it was to pirate games on it. Sure, you could play videos but the music tech industry had something called iPod. It was also cheap, and like I said, had a fair number of great games. I didn't make the comparison to the switch, the switch was mentioned in the OP to go against this "new phone".  "BETTER HARDWARE THAN NINTENDO SWITCH(#sony phones are always up there on the top with mobile specs)".   And the switch is a hybrid, not a console. The only thing that differentiates a phone from a mobile game device is a phone service and a OS that runs apps. The Switch is rumored to run apps like Netflix, Grubhub, Crunchy Roll, etc. and have a service of some sort as you'll be playing games on the go. The Switch OS is also heavily rumored to be a heavily modified android fork. Where'd we stand if all this is true? Switch would be a handheld, console, and a phone... but I doubt it'll have calling capability.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
naruball said:

Nice assertion there. Completely ignoring the fact that back then what the psp could do was a novelty. There were no iphones or tablets and the device was unique in terms of watching movies/tv shows, music, and playing games.It even had skype which people could use to call their friends. You know what's also hackable? ouya. How much did that sell?

It's like saying that the only reason the wii was a success was because it was hacked. I mean why didn't the Wiiu sell well it was such a success? In other words, your argument is extremely weak. Especially claiming that it was the only thing that made it sell. The psvita didn't sell well for a number of reasons just like the psp sold well for a number of reasons, including how easy it was to hack it.

As for your second paragraph, you don't seem to understand the concept. It's supposed to be a phone. People are willing to spend up to $600 or more, unless they get a plan, which they could also do with what the OP described. The comparison with the Switch is completely invalid. The switch is a console. Not a phone.

No, the Wii Sold because it was novel. And again, people didn' have to pay for movies on PSP either, they could get pirated copies of films too. Wii was easily hackable towards the end of its life cycle. Before then it was still selling very well while PSP was hackable really early. Ouya wasn't anything new or exciting, it didn't have exclusives, it's an android TV device and they came a dime a dozen. Why buy an Ouya when your phone could essentially do better? There's tons of Android TV devices with emulators, why would anybody buy an Ouya? Not really a thoughtful comparison.

The MAIN thing that I think sold the PSP was how easy it was to pirate games on it. Sure, you could play videos but the music tech industry had something called iPod. It was also cheap, and like I said, had a fair number of great games. I didn't make the comparison to the switch, the switch was mentioned in the OP to go against this "new phone".  "BETTER HARDWARE THAN NINTENDO SWITCH(#sony phones are always up there on the top with mobile specs)".   And the switch is a hybrid, not a console. The only thing that differentiates a phone from a mobile game device is a phone service and a OS that runs apps. The Switch is rumored to run apps like Netflix, Grubhub, Crunchy Roll, etc. and have a service of some sort as you'll be playing games on the go. The Switch OS is also heavily rumored to be a heavily modified android fork. Where'd we stand if all this is true? Switch would be a handheld, console, and a phone... but I doubt it'll have calling capability.

I don't see how you thought that repeating what you just said would strengthen your argument. It doesn't.

bolded is factually incorrect.

As for ouya? And? You said that the only (not "main" like you just changed it to) reason the psp did well was because it was hackable. Yet another device is even more hackable and didn't do as well. Clearly, there was more to it than hacking that helped it sell so well. It was a novelty, just like the wii was. Why you refuse to accept this is beyond me.

Bringing up the ipod is irrelevant. Of course there were all sorts of mp3 players. But those couldn't play games, videos AND music.

The Switch is a hybrid handheld console and home console. It is a console.

There is nothing to indicate that the Switch will be a phone.

"The only thing that differentiates a phone from a mobile game device is a phone service and a OS that runs apps"

You're wrong. Even if 3ds had apps and phone services, it still wouldn't be called a phone. It just doesn't work that way. It would be a handheld console with phone capabilities. The average consumer wouldn't identify it as a phone, the same way they don't identify tablets (especially the huge ones) as phones (even if they provided phone services).

This would be an instant flop.

First of all, they would need to have some sturdy hinges for the clickable dpads, adding up to the price. Not to mention that sounds inconvinient and would add to the bulk, uncomfort of holding the device and weight.

Second of all, more powerful hardware than the Switch? Yeah, that would be impressive. You suggest Android (which would eat up RAM and sacrifice performance that could be used for games, unless Sony magically strips the features it doesn't need for Android which could result in incompatibility with a lot of Android apps which eliminates the purpose of having Android on it), meaning they would have to use Apple's new A-series (if they're already partnering for iMessage for some reason) chip to compete with nVidia ARM-processor wise, as x86 chips are not practical power-consumption wise, heat up easily without a good quality cooling system and they're more expensive than ARM chips. But even Apple would have a hard time beating the new nVidia Tegra chips, and Qualcomm is leaps and bounds behind these performance-wise. And there's no reason for Apple to collaborate with Sony, and they're the only one that have chips on the market that can compete with nVidia's.

Third of all, if it's more powerful than the Switch, why use PSNOW? It would probably be around XBONE or PS4 performance, meaning it doesn't need a streaming service (which would work badly on the go with mobile data in rural areas) as devs could simply port the titles over. Remote play wise, all it would need is cross saving I suppose if you already have the two consoles and maybe cross-purchases. Otherwise, it's not really needed. Heck, you point it out yourself, it would basically be a last resort if third party devs never ported anything to it (which would happen very shortly after launch).

QHD screens would eat up the battery for nothing, since it wouldn't be able to run any console-type games at that resolution at a stable framerate, unless you lowered the graphical settings which make no sense to sacrifice for screen resolution, 1080p or heck even 720p is fine on a 5-ish inch screen. Having such a high resolution for UIs and videos makes no sense for a gaming device, let alone a media consumption device at that size, unless it has a huge battery (like 8000-10000mAh which would again, add up bulk and costs).

And last but not least, this would never work as a phone. Cramming this all into a tablet is hard enough, having all of this in a device with a 5.2 inch screen would mean having gigantic bezels, and it would never compete with flagship smartphones, unless you prefer having a heavy, bulky device that's far too big to carry arround let alone put in a pocket for gaming purposes which will last you around 4 hours of battery life on a 5.2-5.7 inch screen QHD screen which hogs battery for pretty UI's and video watching (if you watch content availble in 1440p).

Also, no chance in hell this would cost 600-700 dollars. More like 850-1000 (which some people actually do pay for an iPhone, but I'd rather have an iPhone than this unpractical mess of a device for the price). The device you describe is currently impossible. And a better option would be having a standard flagship phone with PSNow support. This would never kill the Switch, even at 350$.

Heck, if you want the Switch killer buy a 200$ Chinese Windows Tablet and use the PS Now for PC service. If it doesn't have a SIM Card slot, buy a USB SIM Card reader for 3$. And you can also use Windows desktop apps on the go. Or even better, Microsoft is already working on emulating Windows on ARM chips (as they showed off) and it runs smoothly from what we've been shown, so when it's released in 2017, you could buy a Windows phone that supports Contiuum and use PS Now for PC.

Ljink96 said:
collint0101 said:

It would take more than a powerful system with a Sony logo on it to sell in the modern handheld market. The Vita is proof of this 

Didn't sony already try this...and it failed miserably? A Playstation phone? 

No, nothing even close to a PlayStation Phone has ever been released. Sony Ericsson released the Xperia Play in 2011, but it only was only a PlayStation certified device. It had no access to PlayStation Network (PS Store, Friends List, Messaging, Trophies, Services, etc.), It recived zero support from Sony 1st and 2nd party, nor did it ever get a game from the likes of EA, Activision, Take 2, or any other major 3rd party. It was purely an indie ames device, with massivly underpowered hardware compaiered to the competition. 

Sony Interactive Entertainment (formaly Son Computer Entertainment) has never released a PlayStation Phone. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

No,they should stop making smartphones.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
small44 said:
No,they should stop making smartphones.

Your absolutly rght Smartphones are on their way down. Sony needs to innovate a new market that improves the mobile computing experience. Xperia and Android are a waste of time, PlayStation is the future of mobile for Sony.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

They deserve it. I like Sony Playstation.
I hate Sony Pictures though, they are the ones that need a reboot.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
They deserve it. I like Sony Playstation.
I hate Sony Pictures though, they are the ones that need a reboot.

Very true, PlayStation is doing extreamly well, and PlayStation 4 should be the standard for all future Sony devices. 

Sony Pictures Movie side is a complete mess right now. The TV side is doing good with shows like The Black List and Breaking Bad, but the movie side has bombed for the last few years. Then there is the internal competition they are creating in the 4K streaming landscape. I don't know why Kaz is letting Ultra and PlayStation Video compete. This is the kind of thing old Sony didi that never allowed them to build a competitor to iTunes. Too many division all making their own format or services, and never unifying the company behind one vision. 

This is why I keep repeating that Sony needs to roll everything under PlayStation, and set a unified course. That is the only way they can compete, because that is what their biggest rivals are doing. You can't have one body with with 5 heads, one watching the other four independently control each limb. It doesn't matter how strong one is, if they don't work to gether and comunicate, they wil never be able to walk, run, or climb to the top. 

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Well, Sony is already in the mobile Market with their Smart Phones..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

The interesting thing often repeated is the circular logic that a new Playstation Portable can't be successful without being the equivalent of a high end smartphone, because that is that only thing that would justify the cost of a $600-700 Playstation handheld game platform.

Nobody appears to be aiming for the low hanging fruit of a sub $300 handheld (which is no longer top end spec), which approaches the realistic ceiling of what the general consumer would be willing to pay for a portable game device. I don't buy the notion that Playstation would create the market for $600-700 gamer phones, which would remain a small niche product.

But naturally, the logic follows that if you tack a phone service onto a PSP, then it can and will sell for at least twice the price with the corresponding high end specs available to the smartphone market. The monthly service/data fees are about the only thing that would allow for high end specs (and corresponding price) unless the goalposts are moved so that Sony can either sell such devices at cost or at a loss.

That will not happen. It's a bit hard to follow that logic.

Yes, a high end smartphone with a monthly service/data plan fee sells for that price. Check. The assumption is that there would be enough general consumers who would switch to a Sony branded (sorry: Playstation branded as the argument follows that the PS brand is strong, not the Sony brand) smartphone, that will presumably be sold with Verizon, Sprint, AT&T phone and data service options as Sony doesn't own their own network and phone service.

Playstation (Sony) couldn't even sell Playstation fans on the 3G service, which had less to do with data speeds, and almost everything to do with Playstation fans not wanting to pay for 3G data plans in exchange for the limited benefits 3G data plans provided for games. I say this as first day PS Vita buyer who insisted on buying the 3G model, only to stop paying for the data plan because it added nothing in functionality for me as someone who was already using a smartphone. And no, I wouldn't have ditched my iPhone if my PS Vita had a phone number I could use for work.

I don't doubt there's a market for a $700 PSP. What those $700 PSP Phone pundits aren't being entirely honest about is the small size of such a market that would make such a consumer device a poor business decision for Sony. Or Playstation.

I wouldn't buy one, and I have bought everything Playstation since the original Playstation (PS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSV). I certainly wouldn't replace my phone with one.