By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo will be manipulating it's userbase when the switch launches.

They're so evil.

Seriously, this site is starting to become pretty toxic with the Nintendo hate

Around the Network

i dunno,. wiiU only sold 14 million lifetime. if nintendo creates/ships too many units they will take massive losses on the unsold units. the best way to do things is to create them at the same rate at which they are consumed.

i wouldn't blame nintendo for only making 1-2 million units until demand is more determined. the consequences of being overly confident is worse the consequences of being overly conservative.

..and since they aren't launching in the holiday i think they can get away with undersupply moreso.

from a certain angle i guess that is "manipulating" but i don't think that is how nintendo views it. i think nintendo is just being very protective to their business interests. that's kind of their thing.

Artificial demand isnt a bad thing though, provided they restock it at the right times it can help sell more units. Also you have to remember this is a March launch and not a holiday launch like most consoles before it. Sales naturally will be lower when you align launch sales with other consoles and its not until after the holidays that you can make a fair comparison.

Good. I'll be one of the few who have one.

How does one accurately measure demand for a product outside of putting it out and seeing how it sells?

How does one make the distinction between Nintendo creating artificial demand by undershipping and Nintendo underestimating the demand for their products?

Around the Network

Nintendo is quite the evil mastermind.

Its the same when online games launch. Being able to handle day one serverstress is fucking stupid, since that massive peak will never happen again.

And creating an artificial demand, manipulating everyone to want to buy something THAT THEY CANNOT BUY. Seems pretty stupid, IMO.

Just pre-order it...

KLAMarine said:
How does one accurately measure demand for a product outside of putting it out and seeing how it sells?

How does one make the distinction between Nintendo creating artificial demand by undershipping and Nintendo underestimating the demand for their products?

Easy, is Nintendo? Then let's think on the worst possible motivation for every action, like for exemple, are they shipping low numbers because they overshipped WiiU to an epic level which had bad consecuences for them? Nah, is just that they clearly want to manipulate and make everybody's life harder.

I think is a mix between not making the same misake again and the chance to have the media saying "Switch was sold out in 2 days!" or something, either way I'm sure supply will get better soon after.

Goodnightmoon said:
KLAMarine said:

Easy, is Nintendo? Then let's think on the worst possible motivation for every action, like for exemple, are they shipping low numbers because they overshipped WiiU to an epic level which had bad consecuences for them? Nah, is just that they clearly want to manipulate and make everybody's life harder.

I think is a mix between not making the same misake again and the chance to have the media saying "Switch was sold out in 2 days!" or something, either way I'm sure supply will get better soon after.

I just dislike people automatically assuming the worst. Whatever the case, the fact that the Switch will release outside of the holiday shopping season should make it easier to get one when it releases... Hopefully.