By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears of War 2= Epic fail?

Gears of War 2 should be great. And I think it will sell a shit ton of copies. And I agree that Epic is an awesome developer.

With all that said though...I don't think Gears 2 will be a HUGE system seller (I don't think Resistance 2 will be either). Gears of War I was the system seller. If people weren't willing to buy a 360 and get Gears of War I with all the hype and rave reviews and high sales it had, why would they be willing to buy a 360 for Gears of War 2?

I think Gears of War 2 will sell consoles, but I think it will be a "minor" console mover.

Now, on the other hand, I think Fable II will move a LOT of 360's.

And I think that Tales of Vesperia should be on the list for the 360 too.

And White Knight Chronicles should be on the list for the ps3.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

^^Well, there were some 'good' shooters--Perfect Dark, GRAW, Call of Duty 2 and 3, but nothing of Gears caliber, no.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Resistance 2 with better graphics and a storyline/plot than Gears of War. Resistance 2 will offer 8 co-op campaign online, alternative endings to campaign, up to 60 players online at the same time. I think Resistance 2 will be a huge improvement upon Resistance: Fall Of Man.

BTW I wonder what the storyline/plot of Gears of War 2 will be like. The Gears of War basically had no storyline besides you have a machine gun with a chainsaw attached to it and you just shoot and saw in half Locusts and travel through one level to the next that all look the same. If we all thought Gears of War and Mass Effect maxed out the XBox 360, Gears of war 2  will definitely max out the XBox 360.

The funny thing is, the people I know around here aren't really interested in Resistance 1 or 2. But GeoW2 has a couple PS3 and Wii owners consider a 360. (More then the number Halo 3 made to consider.)

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

Here's the facts behind the comparison:

- Resistance was a launch title, so R2 should be able to outsell it and move some systems
- Gears of War was not a launch title, so G2 may not outsell it (normal sales patterns) and will likely not move many systems (the original already moved the systems that G2 would move)
- 360 install base will still be significantly higher than PS3 in NA, but neck-and-neck in Others, which should give G2 an advantage.
- G1 had more hype, better reviews, and better sales, meaning more people will be more likely to be it no matter what G2 is actually like.

Now analyzing the original statement:

- G2 will not outsell Halo3: True
- Halo3 failed to move consoles: False - though not as many as predicted/needed
- G2 will not move consoles: True - at least not many
- R2 will move consoles: Probably true
- R2 will sell up to 5 million: Possible but unlikely, original sold about half that
- R2 will outsell G2: Possible but again unlikely, G2 will probably hit at least 4 million while for R2 4 million would be a high estimate.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:
Resistance 2 with better graphics and a storyline/plot than Gears of War. Resistance 2 will offer 8 co-op campaign online, alternative endings to campaign, up to 60 players online at the same time. I think Resistance 2 will be a huge improvement upon Resistance: Fall Of Man.

BTW I wonder what the storyline/plot of Gears of War 2 will be like. The Gears of War basically had no storyline besides you have a machine gun with a chainsaw attached to it and you just shoot and saw in half Locusts and travel through one level to the next that all look the same. If we all thought Gears of War and Mass Effect maxed out the XBox 360, Gears of war 2 will definitely max out the XBox 360.

"Resistance 2 with better graphics and a storyline/plot than Gears of War."

I didn´t know know you were a developer on both games... thax for the info... if you want to call it that...

"up to 60 players online at the same time"

Will more players make the experiance better ??? Some will say yes others will say its the opposite...

"The Gears of War basically had no storyline"

So tell me what a blessing of a story Resistance had ??? Beside we are not talking about RPGs here Mario has no  real story, Zelda basically does the same story again and again... but thats not the point with these games... Gears is about War... not the emotions and trubbles of charakters....

"If we all thought Gears of War and Mass Effect maxed out the XBox 360, Gears of war 2 will definitely max out the XBox 360."

Sony fans sayed these games maxed out the 360... anybody who has seen past console generations knows consoles don´t get maxed out that fast... besides wouldn´t it be good if devs could quickly use the full potential of a  system ???

Most of you points make little sense at all... sure Resistance2 can improve over the first one... no one sayed it won´t, but why does Gears have no such chance at all ??? 

I played Resistance for a bit and not enough to make the call but I have talked to a couple of freinds that own it and according to them, Resistance 1 was over hyped as it was the only decent exclusive for PS3 for a long time. Otherwise it was an ok... 8 out of 10 shooter.

Resistance 2 may be better though but they have to add a lot to make it amazing...

Gears of War however...it offered pretty simple story, 4 or 5 weapons and decent multiplayer. And it still is one of the best games this gen. It will be hard for Epic to screw up part 2 as all they got to do is Gears + 1.

Rock_on_2008 said:
My criticism of Gears of War 2 on Gamepro gets slammed.
Rock_On_2008 wrote:Gears of War 2 will be a huge let down in 2008. It will sell between 2 to 3 million copies in its lifetime but will not match the sales of Halo 3 which has sold 7.5 million copies so far. Halo 3 failed to move consoles and likewise with Gears of War 2 it will not move XBox 360 consoles. Resistance 2 on PS3 will move consoles and it will sell up to 5 million copies. Resistance 2 will outsell Gears of War 2.
numonex wrote:Words from a n00b...LOL. Here is some advise little n00b. On this site when you make a statment like this one...well dont. It is a completely stupid fucking thing to even say let alone think. Only those with their heads secured up their ass would think this. Here are the facts. Gear os War was way more popular that RFOM, logic alone dictates that Gears 2 will stomp RFOM2. Its simple as that. Now that statment doesnt even take into consideration how each game even turns out. Thats just based on fans of previous versions. Now, Do you presume to put the developers of RFOM up agianst EPIC? EPIC has been making these types of games for YEARS. I would give them a little credit when it comes to this and Gears 2.

BTW: "N00bie" is the official starting rank on Gamepro forum

If you stopped being such a fanboy, you might get more respect tbh.

If it matches or exceeds sales of its predecessor then its a success regardless of how well it sells in relation to Halo 3 and COD4.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Gears of War 2 will have a hard time living in the shadow of its predecessor Gears of War selling 5 million copies according to VGchartz. Call of Duty 4 has sold around 5.4 million copies on the XBox 360 and counting. Halo 3 has sold 7.5 million copies and counting.

Gears of War 2 has a lot to live up to with XBox 360 owners having a lot of shooters to chose from. XBox 360 owners are oversaturated with shooting games IMO.