By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto still stifling Paper Mario, BUT next entry will not use Sticker Star gameplay!

http://nintendoeverything.com/paper-mario-color-splash-producer-on-lack-of-returning-npcs-new-game-would-feature-a-different-system/

"Game Informer spoke with Kensuke Tanabe, the Wii U title’s producer, in this month’s issue. The magazine started out by asking why old NPCs from the early Paper Mario games haven’t returned. Tanabe replied with the following:

Mario is not an IP that I created. From the position of someone borrowing the IP, I think it’s only natural to show respect to the person who created it, and let that feeling of respect guide us. When Miyamoto-san, the father of Mario, asks us, ‘Could you make a game with only characters from the Mario family?’ I think it’s only natural for us to give it our best shot. In other words, we are not currently thinking about returning to old NPCs.

Incidentally, I do think Color Splash may have proven that we can still make a game entertaining, even if our original characters don’t appear as NPCs. And with that belief, we will keep on continuing to do our best.

So despite the failure of Zero and Color Splash Miyamoto is still in charge of this series for some reason. Man what will it take for them to realize that Miyamoto, while a great guy and all, is not a god, he can be wrong and he can make mistakes. Well that dashes the hope of original characters and atleast somewhat interesting stories, but honestly that alone isn't that big of a deal. Gameplay above all else afterall, which is why the following has given me renewed hope in the series.

"Game Informer did press further, and asked if any consideration would be given to bringing back companion characters with their own abilities in the future. Tanabe said in response:

Personally, I don’t give much thought to how we are leaving old methods behind in any series, not just Paper Mario. I always prioritize thinking about how we can build new methods and new elements. Of course, there were some series where we have not made big changes to the systems, but sometimes that’s because we feel as though these systems haven’t been perfected yet, or the gameplay can be expanded even further. We felt both of those things in Color Splash. However, I do feel as though we reached the end of where Color Splash is headed, so if we get the chance to continue the series, I think we’ll want to create a Paper Mario with a different system.”

Now yes, different doesn't necessarily mean good as we well know, but it does mean no more Sticker Star formula which is only a good thing, and really there's no way they could do any worse. Of course this also means we'll not see a Paper Mario like the original two. It's sad that the series will not reach the highs that it used to, and, depending on the gameplay, future installments may also be considered as Paper Mario games in name only, but at this point I can be fine with that as long as the series becomes good again. 

Around the Network

So TTYD-style Paper Mario is back. Finally

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Oh god. "Different" sounds like Paper Mario is going to continue to no longer have a definitive identity as an RPG and has a permanent role as Nintendo's experimentation series. I have officially lost all faith that the series will ever return to the golden years of the N64 and Gamecube. I guess it was a good run.

RIP in peace Paper Mario

I also just want to point out how hilarious it is that this guy talks about moving forward and not looking back at old methods as if the success of old entries will have zero impact on future games. If this is a standard mindset at Nintendo, you know, not learning from the past, it would explain so many things.

Basically they're not allowed to make any new "non-canon" Mario characters.

They could at least utilize the Mario family better. I mean, the Mario universe alone has a vast cast of characters. Don't limit yourself with having the majority of characters being Toads. It's like having a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game only having 30% of all 800+ Pokemon (or a real life example being Pokemon Snap having a limited amount of Gen I Pokemon).

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
They could at least utilize the Mario family better. I mean, the Mario universe alone has a vast cast of characters. Don't limit yourself with having the majority of characters being Toads. It's like having a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game only having 30% of all 800+ Pokemon (or a real life example being Pokemon Snap having a limited amount of Gen I Pokemon).

I mean, we do have to deal with charizard being in every damn thing having Pokemon in its name...

toads> charizard(except in smash)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Meh. This ain't the Paper Mario I loved, and that's okay, I'd rather see these guys making mediocre games they actually want to make than mere insulting imitations of the originals they feel forced to work on, but that doesn't take the feeling of seeing an old friend being abused away. Not cool Nintendo, not cool.

I'm now filled with determination.

Vor said:

That isn't at all what he/she said. Original Paper Mario will never be back, and it's time for us to accept it and either move on and grow to enjoy the new things or just bow out and forget about it. Personally, I like the latter better. Good night, old friend.

I'm now filled with determination.

thatguymarco said:
Vor said:

That isn't at all what he/she said. Original Paper Mario will never be back, and it's time for us to accept it and either move on and grow to enjoy the new things or just bow out and forget about it. Personally, I like the latter better. Good night, old friend.

Aw that's bad :( I assume when they said they won't use Sticker Star gameplay they will be back to the old style. RIP Paper Mario 1999-2004.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Yes Paper Mario needs a re-boot. I loved both Sticker games.

but new idea is what this series always needed and is.

Switch!!!