By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I flew too close to the 1TF sun and my Switch wings melted.

Well, this thread is the very debate that devours the industry and rots it from within.

Around the Network

Nintendo from early on use to be into power and named products with that. Power glove as an example, even the magazine Nintendo Power as another. Now it's whole other ball game. I don't think they were ready for this internet sensation and wireless age. I love Nintendo and they are great people for actively keeping the family friendly and non violent material about themselves. I will support them for that and buy the Switch because of that.

I don't want a portable device, but it's the only thing they are offering for their product. I don't even take my Vita and 3DS outside from the home. This Switch would be harder to handle if I did because I would need a purse, backpack, or constantly hold on to it as it's not gonna fit in my pocket.

I'm also disappointed by the power. I don't like the little tiny controllers it has also. I feel the whole Switch product could be a secondary option of a console. With a primary one constructed of the innards of the Switch's OS and sold with a Pro controller and the console is a little black box that sits stationary next to the TV. Maybe they'll announce something like this yet. Don't think something like this would be as expensive as the Switch is, if it's just half the guts without a screen and just a plain plastic housing.

Edit: Sorry, my post here dosen't fit the topic exactly. I was visiting the other topic about if I was still considerring buying the Switch after learning of its performance thread and forgot I was in this one when replying. 

zorg1000 said:
JRPGfan said:

I was sure it was going to be atleast 600 Gflops... under 400 Gflops when docked? didnt see that.

Its 1/5th of a PS4 in terms of performance.
Its not going to get the multiplat games a PS4 or XB1 gets, its just not.

Im a little bit dissapointed, and its looking more and more like a handheld that hooks up to a tv, than a homeconsole.

Wasn't Wii like 1/20th the power of PS3/360 and was able to handle some multiplats?

I don't really think the difference between 1/3 or 1/5 of PS4 is going to matter when it comes to getting ports. If they wont port games with 1/5 the power, I dont really think having 1/3 the power would mean much better support.

Well if they downgraded enough (and remember COD had an entire seperate dev team working on Wii ports) sure, not a problem. The issue was Wii sold like wildfire and Switch is coming out when the competition has 80+ mil in homes.

onionberry said:
Why is that people is so fucking whiny towards Nintendo and always talk about the same power bullshit and not about new option that Nintendo is trying to offer, the future gameplay design and games, omg but let's be happy because now I have more teraflops on my playstation and I can play shit games at 45 fps and upscaled 4k.

You really should change your name to bitterberry

SonytendoAmiibo said:

Nintendo fans, in spite of hard facts, still jump on board the hype train, expecting Nintendo to actually release a competitive current gen system that can go toe to toe with the competition

Who ever said that?

I think pretty much everyone was considering a system that was less than MSony but close enough that 3rd party games were capable but would not equal what would be on XBO/PS4. 

This was based on very good data on what X1 is and is not capable of as well what already proven right rumor generators had stated NS vesion of that chip would be based on. In the end we know are very sure that NS is actually lower than the standard X1.

Honestly even at the now known levels and looking at what was in the K1  based shield tablet, its not impossible for 3rd party games to hit NS. I'd still wager we'll see the likes of madden/fifa/cod... basically the base yearly titles that go everywhere. What we are very much unlikely to see now that was hopeful earlier are the bigger one-off games such as RDR2. 

Guess we'll see what actually happens software-wise come Jan 12th. What should be expected by all is how amazing 1st party games will continue to be. Especially considering that it will contain all home and portable titles moving forward. I am certain we'll see the closing out of 3DS in 2017 as all software development focuses on NS.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Mnementh said:
My wings aren't melted, Switch still is the most powerful handheld console of all time according to the rumors. So I'm not dissapointed obviously.

About 3 times the power of the Vita.

150+ Gflops (neogaf) when not docked, abit under what the Wii U is.

Its decent as a handheld.

As a home console I was hopeing for abit more "oompf" to it.

Its a fantastic handheld. Even though the raw GF is lower than WiiU, the NS is quite a bit more powerful at its lowest. Newer tech, much better CPU and RAM. 

I avoid hype as much as possible. It can seriously set you up for disappointment later.

onionberry said:
Why is that people is so fucking whiny towards Nintendo and always talk about the same power bullshit and not about new option that Nintendo is trying to offer, the future gameplay design and games, omg but let's be happy because now I have more teraflops on my playstation and I can play shit games at 45 fps and upscaled 4k.

^

Stop expecting so much and you'll do fine. I remember some people saying that the 3ds successor will have a 720p 3D screen and be capable of playing graphic intensive games. All of these stupid expectations stem from rumors with no credibility 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

potato_hamster said:

nVidia Shield K1 that's a year old, has higher specs and cost $200?

The K1 is not higher spec'd. The A57 CPUs and GPU in X1 are more powerful even at lower speeds.

Hiku said:
JRPGfan said:

I was sure it was going to be atleast 600 Gflops... under 400 Gflops when docked? didnt see that.

Its 1/5th of a PS4 in terms of performance.
Its not going to get the multiplat games a PS4 or XB1 gets, its just not.

Im a little bit dissapointed, and its looking more and more like a handheld that hooks up to a tv, than a homeconsole.

May be that Nintendo want to stay really safe when it comes to potential overheating issues.

But I always thought that it sounded like a handheld primarily, regardless. And that, along with the fact that Nintendo need to sell the home console part more than the handheld part, is why they presented it as a home console first.

So Nintendo Donald Trumped us.