By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

zorg1000 said:
Pemalite said:

Fact is, there are smartphones on the market already with a smaller form factor than the Switch and offer more performance.

Is it possible for them to play games with similar visuals & scope as Breath of the Wild without overheating or draining the battery quickly?

The Samsung Galaxy S7 edge can get almost 5 hours with the Adreno 530 as per Anandtech's analysis.

Now the S7 Edge's GPU will throttle under load, reducing performance by 20% (Which still should place it faster than the switch). - The CPU doesn't. Ever.
But if you cut the CPU clock almost in half to match the switch, then more TDP can be spent on the GPU and throttling wouldn't exist and you would see gains in battery life.

Plus, the Snapdragon is only made on Samsung's 14nm LPP, they could get an extra 10-20% improvement with LPC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

If this is true.... well. The Gamer in me still wants this as a handheld system because FUCK YEAH!...

But the dev side of me is saying SKIP THIS CONSOLE and pay with my wallet. Even if that means missing out on the new Zelda. I can get the Wii U version and if that is cancelled. Horizon: Zero Dawn and Mass Effect: Andromeda are alternatives. Despite those games being amazing. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a ground breaking achievement in terms game design itself. The last game to impress me like that was Phantom Pain and Uncharted 4 reveals so I'm torn here!

With the 3DS shortages I'm starting to wonder if the Switch is the next handheld that operates as an entry level console and Nintendo is cooking up an actually dedicated home platform. If the Switch is part of a series of devices as Kimishima mentioned. It's possible this is actually a handheld that is due out in March as per most Nintendo handhelds are and a home platform during the holidays. In this regards the Switch is actually powerful enough to be able to run home console games and is perfect for developers to port games to. A high end tablet and developers can even port games that they plan to port to latest iPad or something which makes it more or less risk free.

I'm really conflicted on what to think right now. Like I said.... I want it, but I expect more from Nintendo. They have all the IP's that is needed to make a successful and powerful console. They just need to listen to the fans and observe what the primary gamers want. A lot of people are dissatisfied with both the PS4 and Xbox One and Nintendo can capitalize on that. There will be a point where Nintendo NEEDS western 3rd party to survive in the home console space. There is a massive split between the East and West on Mobile vs Consoles. Nintendo may find that it's in their best interest to cater to the needs of both.

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

Is it possible for them to play games with similar visuals & scope as Breath of the Wild without overheating or draining the battery quickly?

The Samsung Galaxy S7 edge can get almost 5 hours with the Adreno 530 as per Anandtech's analysis.

Now the S7 Edge's GPU will throttle under load, reducing performance by 20% (Which still should place it faster than the switch). - The CPU doesn't. Ever.
But if you cut the CPU clock almost in half to match the switch, then more TDP can be spent on the GPU and throttling wouldn't exist and you would see gains in battery life.

Plus, the Snapdragon is only made on Samsung's 14nm LPP, they could get an extra 10-20% improvement with LPC.

Sorry man but you gotta dumb it down for me a bit.

Just in simple terms, could those smartphones run a game like BotW with acceptable performance & batterly life?

Also isnt the S7 Edge like $700? 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Pemalite said:

Just in simple terms, could those smartphones run a game like BotW with acceptable performance & batterly life?

Have you seen the ios version of Submerged? Price is quite irrelevant cos we dont knw how much NS will cost. We also need to consider other aspects like build quality and os that may jack up mobile phone price. And despite the high price, s7 still sells like hotcake.

Leadified said:
CaptainExplosion said:
I just hope Nintendo listens when people tell them to boost the Switch's specs before launch.

Launch is only 3 months away and there were rumours back in September stated that trial production has begun, it's too late to make radical changes.

I think normally there is 2-3 months of production to build up for launch often at a lower rate than normal as production problems are ironed out. Not forgetting what they build has got to be transported likely by container ship which would take weeks. Then distributed to warehouses and retailers all before launch. Highly likely they have been producing these for many weeks even possibly months.

Around the Network

There should be another Switch like Switch TV, without the lcd-screen but with higher specs...

bonzobanana said:
Leadified said:

Launch is only 3 months away and there were rumours back in September stated that trial production has begun, it's too late to make radical changes.

I think normally there is 2-3 months of production to build up for launch often at a lower rate than normal as production problems are ironed out. Not forgetting what they build has got to be transported likely by container ship which would take weeks. Then distributed to warehouses and retailers all before launch. Highly likely they have been producing these for many weeks even possibly months.

Not to mention tha radical changes require further testing before starting production.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

sam987 said:
There should be another Switch like Switch TV, without the lcd-screen but with higher specs...

So taking the PSV2 way full steam!!! 

BTW, Ninty copying Sony again...   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

m_csquare said:
zorg1000 said:

Have you seen the ios version of Submerged? Price is quite irrelevant cos we dont knw how much NS will cost. We also need to consider other aspects like build quality and os that may jack up mobile phone price. And despite the high price, s7 still sells like hotcake.

Just looked it up, it comes nowhere close to BotW in terms of visuals & scope, it looks like an HD PS2 game, which is fine, the game looks fun but my question still doesnt have an answer, is it possible to have a game like BotW on current high end phones with solid performance & battery life?

I think you're missing my point about price, how much it sells has nothing to do with it, what im getting at is comparing the specs of two devices with a similar form factor that cost $250/300 (most rumors) & $700+ doesnt make much sense. The device that costs 2-3x as much should be more powerful.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Good enought for a handheld.

MEGADRIVE, SNES, SATURN, PS1, N64, DREAMCAST, PS2, GC, XBOX, X360, Wii, PS3, Wii U, PS4, XONE, GAME GEAR, GBP, GBA, NGAGE, GBAP, DS, PSP, 3DS, VITA.