By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Boberkun said:
Splendid news. I wish Switch to fail so badly. Can't wait for January's disaster.

Brutal. 

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

They cannot afford to give developers a system that may throttle, as DF suggested, it was created with worse case scenarios in mind. I don't think gamers would appreciate playing a game that starts buttery smooth, and an hour later the chip starts melting and throttles accordinaly, the frames would dip.

Yeah, I'm no expert at all but I can't see a SoC running at 50% of CPU and less than 80% of GPU (docked) and still throttle. If it's true then I believe that nVidia doesn't really know how to build a SoC.

So basically it's a portable Wii U. Which is fine for a portable, but really I think Nintendo's hardware division has run out of steam. This is the big idea that they took years to prep and cut off the Wii U's lifespan for?

I mean it's kinda sad what their hardware division has become. It really went to crap after Yamauchi stepped down.

I will still get one for Nintendo games, but I doubt any console gamer aside from maybe Wii U owners will be using this as their primary console. And PS4/XB1 will both be $250 standard next year (probably $199 or less around holiday time factoring in deals) so the whole "it's cheap thing" is going to be similar to the GameCube where it was cheap .... but PS2/XBox were only like $50 more so it made no big difference to consumers.

Boberkun said:
Splendid news. I wish Switch to fail so badly. Can't wait for January's disaster.

Mowco said:
Oh my god no... PLEASE NO!

It's WEAKER than an Tegra X1??? and in Handheld Mode the GPU only runs at 40% speed???

No wonder Zelda's frame rate looked dodgy undocked. This is awful news, please tell me it's not true.

What are you referring to here?

Around the Network
Boberkun said:

Why?

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:
So again when rumours die out and truth shows out, the HW is quite weaker than most thought?

Werent most rumors saying it was 2-3 times as powerful as Wii U and isnt this pretty much saing it is 2-3 times as powerful as Wii U?

I dont understand the sudden outrage when it is essentially what we have been hearing all along.

We had rumors that it was twice stronger than PS4 as well, and there were people really defending it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CaptainExplosion said:
Maybe if the Switch is upgradeable this won't seem so bad, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The whole problem would then be developing two different games for switch, which just isn't going to happen. Even patching it like PS4 Pro seems like a bit much to ask 3rd party devs.

Lol @ everyone grieving

What did you expect? Had it been extremely powerful it would've been pricier. Then people would've complained about the price, wondering why nintendo chose to go overboard...the cycle goes on.

I say we wait. I recall everyone saying the Xbox one was going to be the worst console ever, but look at it now. It does perfectly fine.

Too many scenarios in which the switch can succeed, fail, or have modest results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

bigtakilla said:
spemanig said:

That's speculation on behalf of the author. That was never a claimed rumor. The rumor by Emily was that it was delayed to have more games ready in its first year to avoid droughts.

I never said the power thing was a rumor. 

I said that "The rumor was that it was delayed for software, not hardware" responding to you saying that the Switch was presumadly delayed for better hardware, and you responded with a quote supporting your presumption. I don't understand what's going on here. We "know" why the Switch was delayed. It was for software, not for hardware. It doesn't matter whether or not you said the power thing was a rumor. There's no reason to presume anything when there is a rumor from a reliable source that conflicts it.